• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Preston station

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Rail_WAy

I have travelled through Preston on a number of occasions and have always noticed (a) two red and white carriages stabled in an unused platform (b) a black and white intercity liveried parcels van located on the west side of the station.

What are there uses and why have they never been moved. Surely they can be useful for a preservation society: eg/ Ribble Valley Railway.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

driver9000

Established Member
The red and cream coaches in North Bay siding are used as storerooms, they have very faded GTRM logos. On occasions the police have been seen using them as a practice stage for hostage negotiation situations.

The_Rail_WAy

Cheers the info guys, must admit ive been wondering for years.

So if that intercity NHA with binding brakes was removed from a sleeper service in 1995 I wonder it has never been moved. As I mentioned in my earlier post it would make a nice donation to Ribble Valley steam.

Established Member
oooh sounds like a nice photo op well imm off there asap, ta for the GEN

GB

Established Member
You will probably find there is quite alot of old stock that has been abandoned on the network purely because its not worth the money either restoring them back to a fit state to move or to break them up for scrap/transport.

As Driver9000 states above, some are now used for other purposes.

The_Rail_WAy

You will probably find there is quite alot of old stock that has been abandoned on the network purely because its not worth the money either restoring them back to a fit state to move or to break them up for scrap/transport.

As Driver9000 states above, some are now used for other purposes.

Totally understand your point mate but the coach that was removed from the inverness sleeper would make a valuable asset to the Ribble Steam Railway. Just a case of sending it southwards through the station and then onto the dock branch.

Status
Not open for further replies.