• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Preston to London: A dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.

VTPreston_Tez

On the 31st of July I intend to travel to London to do some videoing of trains in the area and am returning on the 1st of August. I would like to know a cheap way to get there that takes less than about 3 hours 30 - I would not like a stopper train but still need a cheap fare.

Which way should I go and what is the cheapest price? (I can use any London terminal should it be needed)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cuccir

Established Member
Do you have any railcards etc?

If you're happy to use Advance fares, there can often be some savings by travelling via Manchester - more trains London-Manchester means more cheap Advances. You can then get an Advance ticket Preston-Manchester.

calc7

Established Member
Unless you're going to travel on cheapy Virgin Advances at typically incovenient times (eg midday from MAN/PRE) or are happy to slum it on the LM stopper from Stafford or Crewe then it's going to be difficult to beat the price of the Off-Peak Return (which I think on this route is very reasonably priced) by any reasonable amount to make the longer route worth your while.

jkdd77

Unless you're going to travel on cheapy Virgin Advances at typically incovenient times (eg midday from MAN/PRE) or are happy to slum it on the LM stopper from Stafford or Crewe then it's going to be difficult to beat the price of the Off-Peak Return (which I think on this route is very reasonably priced) by any reasonable amount to make the longer route worth your while.

If the OP does buy a flexible ticket,
a Preston- London "2C" SVR is £78.90;
a Preston- Kensington Olympia "2C" SVR rte+ Any Permitted is £78, and permits break of journey at London Euston

island

Veteran Member
If you want to arrive early in London and don't have a Railcard you could get a single to Lancaster and then an off-peak return from Lancaster to London Terminals for £7.80+£82.20 (valid for arrivals in London at or after 1005, whereas the Preston ticket is 1129). You would then use the 0714 Preston to Lancaster and pick up the 0738 off Lancaster getting in at 1012. Note that you cannot board at Preston on a Lancaster to London Terminals Off-Peak Return.

This would also allow you to return via any northbound train after 0905 rather than having a block in the evening between 1501 and 1844. Up to you whether it's worth the extra £12.10.

calc7

Established Member
I believe the OP is under 16 thus all these prices can be halved.

Status
Not open for further replies.