• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Preston to London

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdrennan

travel to London the cheapest ticket for train arriving at 8:30 am is about £152 and not flexible

I have access to a Corporate ticket which is a First Open Single at 50% cost for a Glasgow to London Euston and is £125.

Would it be valid to use this for a Preston - Euston and get a cheaper ticket which is also Flexible and First Class

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
If it is an Anytime Single then it is valid to start short at Preston. Indeed, the fare from Preston is the same!
I assume there are no conditions that would forbid you to use it?

sdrennan

I don't see any conditions. It looks the exact same as First Open Single but at a reduced cost.

i am in Glasgow so unlikely to use it but I have many colleagues in Preston who are paying significant cost for a less flexible ticket without the benefits of 1st Class

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Sounds valid to me from what you say. However, don't be surprised if you do get arguments from staff at Preston (they often put a block on on peak trains to/from London to avoid people using cheaper tickets to/from Lancaster which prohibit break of journey) and end up missing the train anyway and needing to make a retrospective complaint.

sdrennan

Would this also be valid for starting at manchester when travelling to Euston,
Normal open tickets are valid on the Glasgow- Manchester-London route i believe. Only small caveat is that this ticket is Avanti

Veteran Member
Normal open tickets are valid on the Glasgow- Manchester-London route i believe. Only small caveat is that this ticket is Avanti
Avanti operate Manchester to London as well

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

That's an interesting question more widely - if you have a given route A-B-C, and you have a TOC specific ticket A-C, but that TOC don't operate A-B, are you allowed to just do B-C on that TOC? I can see the argument either way, to be honest. I suspect it is one of those things that is not banned therefore it is allowed, but that might well bring arguments from some staff.

gray1404

Established Member
If you are using a ticket that is a First Anytime Single or First Anytime Return you may start, finish, break or resume your journey at any point on a permitted route. There are no time restrictions and what you are suggesting is fine.

gray1404

Established Member
If you are using a ticket that is a First Anytime Single or First Anytime Return you may start, finish, break or resume your journey at any point on a permitted route. There are no time restrictions and what you are suggesting is fine.

In that case this, plus you make sure you on travel on Avanti West Coach only.

kieron

Established Member
That's an interesting question more widely - if you have a given route A-B-C, and you have a TOC specific ticket A-C, but that TOC don't operate A-B, are you allowed to just do B-C on that TOC? I can see the argument either way, to be honest. I suspect it is one of those things that is not banned therefore it is allowed, but that might well bring arguments from some staff.
Condition 13.1 of the conditions of travel explain how a ticket with no route restriction should be used, but I can't see anything which tells you how you may use a ticket which does have a route restriction. I certainly can't answer your question.

This question is perhaps less relevant for a Manchester-London journey, though. LM is a valid map combination for the route. This permits Glasgow-Crewe-Styal-Manchester-Stoke-London, and Avanti regularly run trains on all of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.