• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Preston trams

Status
Not open for further replies.

PR1Berske

Established Member
Source: https://www.lep.co.uk/news/major-milestone-reached-for-preston-tram-project-1-8946946
£19m Guild tramway plans ready to go Trampower has previously received planning permission for the test track, which will be used for training purposes and demonstration rides, and plans to submit an application later this year to gain approval for the entire project. Bosses said private investment "to deliver the infrastructure for the tram service, as well as additional funds for the leasing of trams" is already "lined up." And the service could welcome its first passengers - if planning approval is granted - in 2019.

The pilot line will be a 1,250-metre-long stretch through Deepdale using disused but existing rail tracks. Work is expected to start in March. Read more: Preston's tram plan gets the green light Diane Bourne, managing director of Eric Wright Civil Engineering, added: “Signing this memorandum of understanding is an important milestone and reassures the people who live and work in Preston that the new tramway is coming...

I have never ever supported this project. Preston does not need, nor can afford, trams. We have narrow streets and plenty of buses. I cannot give credence to this idea that a multitude of stations will be built.

However, I know team systems are of interest to the forum, so here we are :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Goldie

As always with Trampower it difficult (but fascinating) trying to determine from an outsider's perspective whether the enthusiastic press coverage is an accurate representation of how likely the project is to actually get built.

On the one hand, Professor Lewis has managed to prove the concept, build a prototype tram, test it and (after the 2007 Blackpool fire) rebuild it. He has got planning permission for the demonstration line and the report suggests that an application will be made to cover construction of the whole line.

On the other hand, building the line will require a level of funding and expertise which I would guess is well beyond that available to Trampower currently. The question of how the line is supposed to be funded hasn't - I don't think - been answered, apart from saying that it will be privately funded.

Behind this is a really important and interesting question, which is whether it is possible to construct light rail systems and the vehicles that travel on them far more cheaply than is normal for the UK (and as a result, make light rail affordable in many more locations). There's an extra challenge for Trampower in that as they haven't been able to attract public funding to help answer this question, they now also have to work out how to attract private funding and - presumably - give a return to investors.

Goldie

Some slightly older coverage of the project from the Lancashire Post: https://www.lep.co.uk/news/work-on-preston-s-19m-guild-tramway-could-start-next-month-1-8857974
https://www.lep.co.uk/news/work-on-preston-s-19m-guild-tramway-could-start-next-month-1-8857974
There is also a Trampower share proespectus knocking about on the internat, which aimed to raise £2.5 million. Does anyone know whether this share offer was actually issued?

Last but not least, are any forums members local enough to take a look at the site of the "pilot line" and see whether any work is ongoing?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
In principle it should be possible to construct a classic street tramway with a few modern tweaks (e.g. level boarding and wheelchair space) far more cheaply than a modern LR system. I think that's where they're going with it - for example vehicles based on bus parts like the PPM is, or like newer Blackpool trams were.

WatcherZero

Established Member
They mainly want to do it to demonstrate their light weight track product LR55.

The_Engineer

Hmmm...... I can't see this projected line washing its face commercially. Knowing the area VERY well, I would not expect a great patronage of the system. Maybe we will see a demo line, but after that I am not holding my breath......

randyrippley

Established Member
difficult to take seriously this project when the home page of its website at http://www.prestontrampower.co.uk/ still says:

"The Guild Line is the first of a proposed four-line network, which will connect many key parts of the city with Park & Ride stations outside the city centre. It will also connect many areas of the city to the railway station, retail parks, hospitals, football stadium and the University.
The Guild Line team is working with Preston City Council and Lancashire County Council to deliver an integrated project that improves the environment and status of the city. The aim is to have the Guild Line open in 2012. This is the next Preston Guild Year, and the first since Preston was made a city in 2002.
Powered by renewable sources of energy, such as wind and solar power, the trams are environmentally friendly, and even with a full capacity of 200 passengers, the tram will use less energy and be as quiet as a family car.
The Preston tram network will also enhance existing cycle routes and pathways, encouraging cleaner and greener transportation in Preston.
The first step of the Preston Tram Power scheme will take place in early 2011, where a demonstration track will run from the West View Leisure Centre. Preston Tram Power will be inviting schools, local businesses and residents, who will all be able to experience the benefits of the tram network and learn how trams operate by taking a ride on the demonstrator line."

note the parts I've highlighted.
If they can't maintain the website, what else can't they do?

Busaholic

Veteran Member
difficult to take seriously this project when the home page of its website at http://www.prestontrampower.co.uk/ still says:

"The Guild Line is the first of a proposed four-line network, which will connect many key parts of the city with Park & Ride stations outside the city centre. It will also connect many areas of the city to the railway station, retail parks, hospitals, football stadium and the University.
The Guild Line team is working with Preston City Council and Lancashire County Council to deliver an integrated project that improves the environment and status of the city. The aim is to have the Guild Line open in 2012. This is the next Preston Guild Year, and the first since Preston was made a city in 2002.
Powered by renewable sources of energy, such as wind and solar power, the trams are environmentally friendly, and even with a full capacity of 200 passengers, the tram will use less energy and be as quiet as a family car.
The Preston tram network will also enhance existing cycle routes and pathways, encouraging cleaner and greener transportation in Preston.
The first step of the Preston Tram Power scheme will take place in early 2011, where a demonstration track will run from the West View Leisure Centre. Preston Tram Power will be inviting schools, local businesses and residents, who will all be able to experience the benefits of the tram network and learn how trams operate by taking a ride on the demonstrator line."

note the parts I've highlighted.
If they can't maintain the website, what else can't they do?
Obviously more powered by wind than any other energy source:smile: My late father-in-law, who lived in Preston for all but the last 4 of his 91 years, was scathing about its city status and said to beware any person or body who attempted to exploit it.

randyrippley

Established Member
Obviously more powered by wind than any other energy source:smile: My late father-in-law, who lived in Preston for all but the last 4 of his 91 years, was scathing about its city status and said to beware any person or body who attempted to exploit it.

a view reinforced by the fact that their registration for their other website - http://www.trampower.com/ has lapsed and is now held by a cybersquatter.
I have a feeling any investors are likely to lose their money, very soon

Status
Not open for further replies.