• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Prestonpans - Glasgow Cen/Qst Season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
After a good day out in Appleby, Carlisle, & Haltwhistle yesterday we bumped into an acquaintance of my travelling companion at Carlisle Citadel who had been watching Huddersfield lose to Carlisle. Anyway talk on the train home turned to rail fares and my colleague challenged me to work out a cheaper way for his friend to do his regular commute - Prestonpans to Glasgow QS.

The commuter makes 5x return journeys a week & travels in the peak. He currently uses a monthly

I'm not at work today so don't have access to Avantix but will check tomorrow but just thought the forum :rf: might have an answer? The challenge is on. :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

clagmonster

Established Member
Its only a minor improvement but rather than a monthly, buy odd period seasons to avoid paying for days on which he does not travel. For example, if he travels only on Mondays-Fridays buy a season for a month and a few days which ends on a Friday. When there is a bank holiday, plan in advance to ensure that such a season ends before a bank holiday. Similarly with any annual leave.

A monthly season from Dunbar to Glasgow Cen/QSt is a 'whopping' £3.90 cheaper at £367.90, and of course gives the benefit of travel in the other direction. This is probably a legacy from when Scotrail didn't stop there. This ticket can also be extended to Charing Cross or Exhibition Centre or Argyle Street at no extra cost.

I have identified a potential huge loophole but, to be honest, it would be withdrawn very quickly if it was tried, it's far too obviously not meant to be valid.

MrJamesBrown

A monthly season from Dunbar to Glasgow Cen/QSt is a 'whopping' £3.90 cheaper at £367.90, and of course gives the benefit of travel in the other direction. This is probably a legacy from when Scotrail didn't stop there. This ticket can also be extended to Charing Cross or Exhibition Centre or Argyle Street at no extra cost.

I have identified a potential huge loophole but, to be honest, it would be withdrawn very quickly if it was tried, it's far too obviously not meant to be valid.

Anychance of a pm letting me know what the loophole is?

Status
Not open for further replies.