• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Pretendolino Set

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doomotron

I know that the Pretendolino was used by Virgin Trains until a while ago, but I'm not sure what happened with it afterwards. Can someone give me a brief history of the rake after VT?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Went to Greater Anglia temporarily for Norwich IC services, then was stored at Laira before TransPennine Express got hold of it, using it for staff training and AFAIK one passenger service.

MarlowDonkey

Can someone give me a brief history of the rake after VT?

TransPennine had them for additional services. It created a row over disabled access.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-44418231
TransPennine Express drops wheelchair-inaccessible trains
  • 8 June 2018

Plans to use trains which are inaccessible for wheelchair users have been dropped.
TransPennine Express (TPE) was to reintroduce two Mark III trains on its Liverpool to Scarborough route from July.
The operator said it had abandoned the plan after discussions with the Department for Transport and the Rail North Partnership.

The 45-year-old trains will now just be used for driver training instead.

The RMT union had described the scheme as "disgraceful" and claimed TPE was "ripping up the anti-discrimination legislation".
TPE said it was introducing new Nova trains from autumn 2018.
The government has said all trains had to be "fully accessible by 2020".

DBS92042

Established Member
As for the DVT, it was stored at Derby RTC for while after Greater Anglia use but during 2016 it was taken to MoD Longtown where it remains today (I believe DRS have some control/ownership of it).

anamyd

On Moderation
It got used for one simgle return trip from Manchester Piccadilly to Manchester Airport and back, to satisfy the contract with DfT that locomotive-hauled passenger services were 'introduced' by a certain date.
right...?

Southern Dvr

The Pretendalino was in Crewe South Yard the other week, fairly sure it hadn’t moved for some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.