• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Previous out of court settlement

Status
Not open for further replies.

TDavies1234

Hello, I was looking for some advice please. Three years ago I was interviewed under caution and read my rights for not purchasing a ticket for travel before getting on the train, and lied about the station I got on at to try and get a cheaper ticket. I was very stupid and gave a false name and address when interviewed as I didn’t realise how serious it was at the time and was embarrassed. I ended up giving my correct name and address and I was told they may take me to court. I was sent a letter from the prosecution’s department at GWR, but they offered me an out of court settlement and I had to pay a fine. I paid the fine and had an email saying the matter was considered closed. The reason for my enquiry is that I’ve been offered a promotion in the company I work for, but it would involve me having an enhanced DBS check. I need to know before hand if this might show up on the DBS, as I don’t want to risk my employer finding out about it, as I won’t get the promotion and could lose my job. I know it was a silly thing to do and I have learnt my lesson! Thank you!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Hello, I was looking for some advice please. Three years ago I was interviewed under caution and read my rights for not purchasing a ticket for travel before getting on the train, and lied about the station I got on at to try and get a cheaper ticket. I was very stupid and gave a false name and address when interviewed as I didn’t realise how serious it was at the time and was embarrassed. I ended up giving my correct name and address and I was told they may take me to court. I was sent a letter from the prosecution’s department at GWR, but they offered me an out of court settlement and I had to pay a fine. I paid the fine and had an email saying the matter was considered closed. The reason for my enquiry is that I’ve been offered a promotion in the company I work for, but it would involve me having an enhanced DBS check. I need to know before hand if this might show up on the DBS, as I don’t want to risk my employer finding out about it, as I won’t get the promotion and could lose my job. I know it was a silly thing to do and I have learnt my lesson! Thank you!
No it won't.

Veteran Member
No it won't.
If you settled out of court you paid money to GWR; you were not convicted in a court of law, so you don't have a criminal record, so nothing relating to the incident will show on an enhanced DBS search.

TDavies1234

Many thanks for your helpful replies. Would the caution I received show up? As I read that even though cautions are considered immediately spent, they will show up on an enhanced check. But I’m not sure if this is counted the same as a police caution?

Established Member
Many thanks for your helpful replies. Would the caution I received show up? As I read that even though cautions are considered immediately spent, they will show up on an enhanced check. But I’m not sure if this is counted the same as a police caution?
You didn't receive a caution so no. You were placed under caution, however that is not the same as a Police Caution.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Welcome to the forum.

This won't show up on a DSB check as you weren't convicted by a court. You didn't even pay a fine, as only a court can impose a fine. What you did pay is known as an administrative settlement or out of court settlement, although it is often referred and feels like a fine!

Status
Not open for further replies.