• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Price competition on South WCML creates fare anomalies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haywain

Veteran Member
they've instructed staff at Thirsk station not to mention the Northallerton fares to passengers, only to sell them if specifically asked for them. If that's not abusing significant marketing power, I don't know what is.
You may consider this an abuse of power but it really isn't. Staff at ALL ticket offices (no matter which TOC) should be selling tickets only for the journey requested and offering splits (and tickets starting short etc) only if they are specifically asked for.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Haywain

Veteran Member
I didn't realise it was only the fastest journey opportunities between the points stated on the ticket that attracted revenue.
It isn't fastest journey opportunities but direct journey opportunities that receive a share of the revenue, although journey time and frequency of service will be a part of how revenue is split.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I’m assuming there aren’t barrier at Tring, but if there were would you be able to get through using a Milton Keynes ticket?

There are not barriers at Tring, nor indeed any practical way to add them without major building work as the entire station is outdoors apart from a small shed flogging tickets in the AM peak only.

I must admit to being surprised, though, that Break of Journey restrictions were not put in place to prevent this "misuse". Though I must admit I'm not waiting with exactly bated breath for one of the new contract security guards manning barriers to cause issues with doing this. I do support the manning of barriers at LNR stations for the full period of service, but I am disappointed cheap, poorly-trained security guards are being used to do this.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
There are not barriers at Tring, nor indeed any practical way to add them without major building work as the entire station is outdoors apart from a small shed flogging tickets in the AM peak only.

I must admit to being surprised, though, that Break of Journey restrictions were not put in place to prevent this "misuse". Though I must admit I'm not waiting with exactly bated breath for one of the new contract security guards manning barriers to cause issues with doing this. I do support the manning of barriers at LNR stations for the full period of service, but I am disappointed cheap, poorly-trained security guards are being used to do this.
Are you surprised, though?

I would find it extremely difficult to name a TOC that has the most knowledgeable barrier staff. Most TOCs seem to rely either on contracted security guards, who, in the most charitable light, know very little about tickets - or they rely on 'old hands' that think they know the rules, but actually don't.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Are you surprised, though?

I would find it extremely difficult to name a TOC that has the most knowledgeable barrier staff. Most TOCs seem to rely either on contracted security guards, who, in the most charitable light, know very little about tickets - or they rely on 'old hands' that think they know the rules, but actually don't.

LM used only rail staff and I don't recall ever having had any issues with them. The same staff still do the barriers on the daytime shifts and are fine.

Yes, I'm genuinely surprised BoJ is permitted on these tickets, as it isn't on the longer distance LNR Only tickets precisely so they are not used for more expensive shorter journeys. I wonder, though, if as the only reason these tickets are allowed to exist is that they existed from before when VTWC used to own the flow, it might not be allowed for LNR to change anything other than the price.

geoffk

Established Member
Yes, but could we really expect WMT to apply the same price as their WMT Only ticket from MKC to that from other stations further South - these would be Any Permitted tickets. Therefore, subject to revenue sharing. With their own fares they get all of the revenue (save for any sales commission if not purchased from them).

Southern and London Overground would have to get some of the revenue and possibly Virgin, although it's not possible to travel with them as far as Watford Junction to/from Euston I don't think they would get any in fact.
A simple solution - single operator point-to-point tickets should be outlawed. These are franchised operations, not like buses which operate in a commercial environment. Passengers want to catch a train at a convenient time and are not bothered what colour it is. We have this nonsense between York and Newcastle, Sheffield and Doncaster and no doubt other pairs of stations. I thought TOCs had woken up to the fact that the main competitor is the car, not other train companies.

furlong

Established Member
Now that we have a Rail Ombudsman, there could be scope for some creative tests to find out whether this new independent body considers that certain elements of consumer law override some of the industry custom and practice in this sort of area.

Status
Not open for further replies.