• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Price differences could penalise the less abled

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gathursty

Established Member
I'm looking at a ticket machine that gives an off peak day return between Hurst Green and Caterham with 7.10 and 7.50 depending on if you want to walk through Whyteleafe or not.

Now my issue is that surely if you are less abled, then you have to pay 40p more (I'm aware of a disabled railcard but the starting price point is still higher)

I think the price should be the lower of the 2 for either route.

Are there any other quirks similar to this that penalise people if for some reason they can't walk between stations?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Are there any other quirks similar to this that penalise people if for some reason they can't walk between stations?
Many such instances of walking connections in the London area based on out of station interchanges - eg using Penge East - Penge West, New Cross - New Cross Gate etc.

The fares here aren't designed to penalise people who can't walk between Whyteleafe and Upper Warlingham - they recognise that the fare to Caterham would undercut that to the change point if it was offered at the lower price.

You are right that it is not reasonable to offer a cheaper fare to able bodied people than to those less able but equally it would break the zonal structure to charge a higher fare when someone voluntarily avoids zone 5.

The exile

Established Member
Although not offered as alternatives; the single fare from Hever to Nutfield appears to be £13.30 (routed via Croydon and Redhill?). Splitting at Godstone gives £4.30 + £3.00 as an alternative for those who walk between the two stations at Edenbridge, which is the only fare quoted for Hever - Godstone. Seems strange that as this is the only option offered for Hever - Godstone, it isn't offered as an alternative for Hever - Nutfield.

Gathursty

Established Member
I think a Mod should maybe alter my title as I want to make a wider point about differently abled people being possibly ripped off for journeys such as the one I've described. I'm just not good at putting points succinctly.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Now my issue is that surely if you are less abled, then you have to pay 40p more (I'm aware of a disabled railcard but the starting price point is still higher)
That's not the case - the higher fare applies to everybody, regardless of their ability to walk.

The exile

Established Member
I think a Mod should maybe alter my title as I want to make a wider point about differently abled people being possibly ripped off for journeys such as the one I've described. I'm just not good at putting points succinctly.
Of course, the counter argument that could be made is that the fare charged per mile on the "all train" route works out at 45p/mile. If you choose the other version, you not only wear out your own shoe leather and risk getting wet - you're charged 91p/mile for the privilege. Now which one's a rip-off?
The standard fare between these points is £7.50. That is either a rip-off or it isn't - whether or not the railway offers a 40p cheaper fare for a route which is half the rail distance but involves you making your own way between two separate stations.

There's an even odder anomaly in the area, though. A Hurst Green to Whyteleafe or Whyteleafe South 7 day season ticket (via the walking route) is £32.60. The same ticket to Kenley (via the walking route) is only £29.40, despite the only permitted route passing through the two stations to which the fare is higher. Now, there's definitely a rip-off in there somewhere!

Last edited:

Haywain

Veteran Member
Playing devils advocate here, how do those unable to walk take advantage of the lower fare?
Playing devil's advocate doesn't make it discrimination. In any event, one might expect that anyone asking that question would probably be authorised to travel by the longer route.

py_megapixel

Established Member
How about something like "Cheaper fares to same destination from another station nearby - could less able people have to pay more?"

(Not being a mod I can't edit it for you, but if you click the edit button on the first post in this thread you should be able to also edit the title)

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
...I want to make a wider point about differently abled people being possibly ripped off for journeys such as the one I've described. I'm just not good at putting points succinctly.
I get where you're coming from, but this isn't really discrimination under the Equality Act. What would be wrong is if disabled people were being charged *more* for exactly the same service.

On the Sleeper, some disabled people won't be able to manage the seated accommodation, but that doesn't mean that they can have a cabin for the price of a seat.

The fact there is a cheaper and less convenient route between two stations because part of the journey requires a walk isn't really here nor there.

CrispyUK

Playing devils advocate here, how do those unable to walk take advantage of the lower fare?
By using the same method to transfer between Upper Warlingham and Whyteleafe stations as they use to get to/from Hurst Green and Caterham?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
You can change the title. Click the three dots at the top right and choose 'Edit thread'
(To contact moderators, please use the report button, on the relevant post)

Status
Not open for further replies.