• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Price of ticket from Luton Airport Parkway to St.Pancras Int.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raks

Hello, I going to visit London in April. I have a few questions. I arrive to Luton airport take te bus to Luton Airport Parkway and what next?
Can i buy a day travelcard (for 1-9 zone) and go to St pancras int?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

googolplex

You should be able to buy a One Day Off Peak Travelcard for around £18, giving you one return journey from Luton Airport Parkway to London on that day. You can buy this from the ticket office at Luton Airport Parkway.
Of course the availability of that ticket depends on when you're wanting to travel.
All trains to London pass through St Pancras. If you just want to go to St Pancras and don't want travel in London included, you can just buy a ticket to London Thameslink (ask for a ticket to St Pancras at the ticket office and they should sort you out).

John @ home

Established Member
Can i buy a day travelcard (for 1-9 zone) and go to St pancras int?
You should be able to buy a One Day Off Peak Travelcard for around £18,
But the day travelcard will be valid for Zones 1-6 only. As far as I know, only London Underground and London Overground stations sell Zone 1-9 cards.

From 2 January 2010, the price from Luton Airport to London Zones 1-6 (inclusive of the airport bus) will be:
£31.50 until 0915 (from Luton Airport Parkway) Monday - Friday
£20.50 from 0916 (from Luton Airport Parkway) Monday - Friday
£16.50 at any time on Saturday, Sunday and Bank Holidays.

Raks

£31.50 until 0915 (from Luton Airport Parkway) Monday - Friday
£20.50 from 0916 (from Luton Airport Parkway) Monday - Friday
£16.50 at any time on Saturday, Sunday and Bank Holidays.

So, if I buy one of this ticket I will be able to travel form Luton Airport Parkway to St Pancras Int. and return ? And by bus, tube in London with?
All in one ticket right? Or I have to buy return ticket?

I ask becouse I heard that Luton is out of zones, so travelcard for zones dosent work.

PS: Ticket from airport to london is more expensive then my airplane ticket. :roll:

radamfi

Established Member
Just to clarify, Luton Airport has separate fares to Luton Airport Parkway. Fares from Luton Airport include the bus from the airport to Luton Airport. If you get a ticket from Luton Airport Parkway, you have to pay separately for the bus (£1 each way). There is a ticket machine outside Luton Airport where you can get the Travelcard to London.

Yes, Luton is outside the zones, but Travelcards are still available. The difference is that you only get one return trip between Luton and London. You still get unlimited travel within Zones 1 to 6, but when you arrive back at Luton your ticket expires.

Raks

What if i buy this ticket online? I will bay only 1 pound to bus from Luton Airport, and 1 pound to Luton Airport. Do you know where I can buy that ticket?

glynn80

Established Member
But the day travelcard will be valid for Zones 1-6 only. As far as I know, only London Underground and London Overground stations sell Zone 1-9 cards.

This has been discussed previously on the forum (http://railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=25235&page=3) and it was found that both Zones 1-9 Travelcards and Zones 1-9+W Travelcards can be purchased from NR ticket offices.

You can actually buy Zones 1-9 Travelcards and Zones 1-9+W Travelcards from any NR ticket office, it is just they are issued slightly differently to those Travelcards only valid within Zones 1-6.

Zones 1-9 Travelcards are issued from a respective station in Zones 1-9. For example if I walked up to Clapham Junction SWT ticket office and requested a Zones 1-9 Travelcard, the ticket would be issued from a station in Zone 9, such as Amersham, to ZONE R1256 LONDN, with the route as AAA ZONES R789. If I wanted a Zones 1-9+W Travelcard, this would be issued from Watford Junction in exactly the same way described above.

The FRPP explains this as such:

FRPP said:
Additional Zones 7, 8 and 9 and Travelcards from Watford Junction

Transport for London (TfL) also issue Travelcards for Zones 7, 8 and 9 for journeys to/from the following London Underground Metropolitan Line and London Overground stations:

· Zone 7: Croxley, Watford Met, Rickmansworth, Chorley Wood and Carpenders Park

· Zone 8: Chalfont & Latimer, Bushey and Watford High Street

· Zone 9: Amersham and Chesham

Travelcards issued by National Rail for these stations are issued to London Zones 1-6, but have a route indication which shows the additional availability in Zones 7, 8, 9.

Watford Junction is itself outside Zone 9, but Travelcards with the origin ‘Watford Junction’ are also issued to London Zones 1-6 and the route showing additional availability in Zones 7, 8 and 9.

John @ home

Established Member
This has been discussed previously on the forum (http://railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=25235&page=3) and it was found that both Zones 1-9 Travelcards and Zones 1-9+W Travelcards can be purchased from NR ticket offices.
Interesting.
You can actually buy Zones 1-9 Travelcards and Zones 1-9+W Travelcards from any NR ticket office, it is just they are issued slightly differently to those Travelcards only valid within Zones 1-6.

Zones 1-9 Travelcards are issued from a respective station in Zones 1-9. For example if I walked up to Clapham Junction SWT ticket office and requested a Zones 1-9 Travelcard, the ticket would be issued from a station in Zone 9, such as Amersham, to ZONE R1256 LONDN, with the route as AAA ZONES R789. If I wanted a Zones 1-9+W Travelcard, this would be issued from Watford Junction in exactly the same way described above.
How would this work for a passenger wanting a Travelcard including Zones 1-9 from a station outside the Zones? It would seem particularly difficult where the Travelcard already contains a route restriction, eg. Wokingham - London Zones 1-6 route Staines.

glynn80

Established Member
How would this work for a passenger wanting a Travelcard including Zones 1-9 from a station outside the Zones?
It would seem particularly difficult where the Travelcard already contains a route restriction, eg. Wokingham - London Zones 1-6 route Staines.

It wouldn't work. Travelcards from stations outside the Zones (i.e. a day return to the boundary station combined with Travelcard) are only available for Travelcard Zones 1-6.

FRPP said:
'Out-Boundary' Day Travelcards

'Out-boundary' Day Travelcards must be issued to London Zones 1-6 only. They include one return rail journey to the first station within Zone 6 of the London Fare Zones area on the line of route for which the ticket is issued. For example, a Day Travelcard from Bedford to London Zones 1-6 is valid for one return journey from Bedford to Elstree & Borehamwood, and unlimited travel on participating operators services within all 6 fare zones

Edvid

Established Member
What if i buy this ticket online? I will bay only 1 pound to bus from Luton Airport, and 1 pound to Luton Airport. Do you know where I can buy that ticket?
Most of the companies listed on the National Rail Enquiries website sell a wide range of tickets online (e.g. First Capital Connect), and you can't purchase rail tickets more than 12 weeks in advance.

By the way, next year's journeys between Parkway and the airport will actually cost £1.50 single / £2.50 return.

sheff1

Established Member
Is the £1 fare new ?

When I landed at Luton Airport at the end of October the bus transfer to Parkway was apparently free. There was no mention of a cost at the bus stop, I got on the bus without showing a ticket and wasn't asked for one by the driver. No one else showed a ticket or was asked to pay either.

Edvid

Established Member
The fares were brought in on 20 January 2008.

The drivers aren't responsible for fare collection, that's down to the Revenue Protection Officers who only check the tickets at Parkway (and even then it's just those joining the bus who are checked).

Raks

I try to buy ticket on firstcapitalconnect.co.uk I choose example date on week days.(after 2009) From Luton Airport Parkway to St Pancras Int. I select outward about 7:30 and return 17:30. One adult person Anytime Day Travelcard Ticket includes a one day travelcard for £29.00.
This in right choice? :oops: That day travelcard is for 1 zone to X? zone?

John @ home

Established Member
I try to buy ticket on firstcapitalconnect.co.uk I choose example date on week days.(after 2009) From Luton Airport Parkway to St Pancras Int. I select outward about 7:30 and return 17:30. One adult person Anytime Day Travelcard Ticket includes a one day travelcard for £29.00.
This in right choice? :oops: That day travelcard is for 1 zone to X? zone?
£29 is the correct 2010 weekday peak price for a Day Travelcard from Luton Airport Parkway (the railway station) to London Zones 1-6. It does not include travel by bus from Luton Airport to and from Luton Airport Parkway.

£31.50 is the correct 2010 weekday peak price for a Day Travelcard from Luton Airport to London Zones 1-6, including the buses.

Status
Not open for further replies.