• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Price of US ESTA increasing

Status
Not open for further replies.

island

Veteran Member
From Thursday, the US will increase the cost of ESTAs (the online visa waiver required for British, Irish, and many other passport holders) by 50%. The ESTA is valid for 2 years so those minded to apply can do so at the old price of $14pp today and tomorrow.

(Not sure if this is the best forum for this so apologies if not and I am sure the moderators will rehome it as needed)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

duncanp

Established Member
From Thursday, the US will increase the cost of ESTAs (the online visa waiver required for British, Irish, and many other passport holders) by 50%. The ESTA is valid for 2 years so those minded to apply can do so at the old price of $14pp today and tomorrow.

(Not sure if this is the best forum for this so apologies if not and I am sure the moderators will rehome it as needed)

I think an increase of $7 is relatively small compared to the cost of a trip to the U.S., including flights, accomodation and spending money.

Especially when you consider how weak the pound is against the dollar at the moment.

roversfan2001

Established Member
I think an increase of $7 is relatively small compared to the cost of a trip to the U.S., including flights, accomodation and spending money.

Especially when you consider how weak the pound is against the dollar at the moment.
It's a drop in the ocean compared to the overall cost of the trip, but it's a large increase all in one go, given what it is.

thejuggler

Thanks for the heads up. Job is now on my to do list for tomorrow, rather than a few weeks!

Increase is high, but it hasn't gone up since 2010, when it also increased $7 from 10 to $17.

island

Veteran Member
Thanks for the heads up. Job is now on my to do list for tomorrow, rather than a few weeks!

Increase is high, but it hasn't gone up since 2010, when it also increased $7 from 10 to $17.
ESTAs have never cost $10, $17, or any price other than free or $14.

Mikw

It's increased a fare bit as well due to the fall in the value of stirling. And now this.

Similar scheme on the way for european countries too, EU countries are excempt.

thejuggler

My error over the previous price increase.

I did however manage to get the forms filled out and approved today. It wasn't made easy as I had three to do and as I clicked onto the last page of the last one the website crashed!

Despite me having codes for my application, when I entered it there were no records showing so I started again. However when I entered my email it said there were applications on file already. Thankfully the option to start again was given, so I did. Its almost two hours I won't get back.

There are lots of drop down menus for Countries, but I was intrigued why the drop down list of US states wasn't in alphabetical order.

Status
Not open for further replies.