• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Prince Philip the Duke of Edinburgh, aged 99, has died

Status
Not open for further replies.

kermit

Excellent Moray Firth Radio response to the Royal Demise - by 1.15pm they were playing Candle In the Wind by Elton John....but wait, that was about Diana......oooer.....bit controversial.......but no! It's OK, they played the original version...which was about Marilyn Monroe.....hmmmm.....well, it sounds sad, so it'll do!!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BBC 6 Music is still playing sombre music this morning. I've just switched to Absolute 80s, where normality prevails.
With own Father passing away 6 weeks ago when I put Radio 2 on yesterday I found the sombre music too much and had to switch it off, I tried LBC but that was Prince Phillip and nothing else so I drove in silence instead.

With own Father passing away 6 weeks ago when I put Radio 2 on yesterday I found the sombre music too much and had to switch it off, I tried LBC but that was Prince Phillip and nothing else so I drove in silence instead.
Radio 3 have cancelled Stravinsky day commemorating the 50th anniversary of the composers death. I was looking forward to finding out which was the best recording of the Rite of Spring in Record Review. Can't think why Stravinsky isn't suitable for today.

al78

Established Member
I personally think that is totally ridiculous, but I suppose that as soon as one company does it, or even looks as though they might do it, then every other one does it so as not to be criticised for being uncaring. And how can an organisation be uncaring: it doesn’t have any emotions. If they are claiming that ‘all the staff at Happy Rail are deeply saddened‘, how do they know?

The British were always regarded as being unemotional and stoic, but now we seem to have gone completely over the top and produce quite extraordinary public exhibitions of ‘caring’. For his family, friends, those who knew him and those who directly admired him, there is reason to regret his passing and maybe display some emotion. For the rest, is there any need to show anything more than a decent amount of respect if a minute’s silence is held at some point?

An organisation can be uncaring in a similar way a road can be dangerous despite being an inert piece of tarmac not directly capable of injuring or killing anyone.

When an organisation is said to be uncaring, what is really meant is those responsible for the running of the organisation are uncaring, as they make the decision whether or not to directly show any mark of respect to the death of a prominant figure who has captured the hearts of the public. Similarly, a road being dangerous really means people drive dangerously along it, but it is claimed the road is dangerous in an attempt to shift responsibility away from motorists to drive safely, instead putting the deaths and serious injuries down to some external factor. People are driven primarily by emotion, not logic, this is not a planet populated by Vulcans.

Intermodal

Established Member
I wonder how long I can make my location on this f
If anyone wishes to register their dissatisfaction with the ridiculous coverage on the BBC they can do so at this special page they have set up, after clearly being overrun with complaints:

As for why the forum logo has changed colour, I have absolutely no idea. What the death of an old man has to do with this forum and why such a gesture should be made on it is beyond me. This is not a current affairs or news website. Will it start changing colour to reflect other news items too?

al78

Established Member
National Rail Enquiries is now in black and white. It is not an improvement.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
As I alluded to right at the start of this thread today will be nothing compared to when The Queen passes away.

Hopefully she has a good few years left yet.

That really will be the end of an era and make Phillip's sad passing seem like a mere bagatelle by comparison.

I can see shops closing, pubs closing and Cinemas etc at least for the day as a mark of respect.
Make that at least one week. On the day of Diana's funeral, running a bookshop that relied on quickly obtaining books ordered by customers that could then be collected from the shop in that blissful pre-Amazon age, we came under intense pressure from a few non-customers not to open that morning, and I'm ashamed to say I succumbed to it in the end. I'd previously stood up to threats because I continued to stock 'Satanic Verses' by Salman Rushdie without backing down. Zealots are zealots, and brook no argument with their zealotry.

brad465

Established Member
I remember Thatcher's death got comparable levels of coverage on the day the news broke and the funeral (not sure how much in between), which I would argue is worse because while not everyone agrees with the Royals, they don't have much power nowadays, but Thatcher, like most politicians, was divisive and controversial to many and ultimately made a number of policies that have a long lasting negative legacy. One does wonder what they'd do when the time comes for someone like Blair or Cameron, who's legacies are arguably even worse.

Journeyman

Established Member
I know what you mean. As if life isn't hard enough right now.

Sorry for your loss.

XAM2175

Established Member
For those interested in the planning for the Queen's death, there's a very in-depth analysis from 2017 here:
In the plans that exist for the death of the Queen – and there are many versions, held by Buckingham Palace, the government and the BBC – most envisage that she will die after a short illness. Her family and doctors will be there. When the Queen Mother passed away on the afternoon of Easter Saturday, in 2002, at the Royal Lodge in Windsor, she had time to telephone friends to say goodbye, and to give away some of her horses. In these last hours, the Queen’s senior doctor, a gastroenterologist named Professor Huw Thomas, will be in charge. He will look after his patient, control access to her room and consider what information should be made public. The bond between sovereign and subjects is a strange and mostly unknowable thing. A nation’s life becomes a person’s, and then the string must break.

The collision between the meticulous planning and the present circumstances is obviously causing some consternation:
Carefully laid plans for the Duke of Edinburgh’s funeral, revised over many years, have been abandoned owing to the coronavirus pandemic, with public elements unable to take place. The Queen and senior aides have now to fashion a fitting farewell to the longest-serving consort in British history given current restrictions. The plans will be set in motion once they have been personally approved by the Queen.

It will be a major undertaking. Organisers are said to be “desperately anxious” not to stage anything that attracts mass gatherings. The police are facing the difficult, and sensitive, task of ensuring that crowds do not gather to pay their last respects to the duke.

All senior members of the royal family are regularly asked to update their funeral plans. The duke revised his – codenamed Forth Bridge – many times over his long life. “One thing he did not want was for it to be like the funeral of his uncle, Lord Mountbatten [in 1979]. He did not want that ostentation,” a source said. Of that, given all the present circumstances, he is assured.

And as to the BBC's coverage:
Individuals working in BBC News suggested the long-planned scale of the coverage is because the corporation still bore the scars from the death of the Queen Mother in 2002, when its output was deemed insufficiently deferential by rightwing newspapers.

Among other issues the media infamously fixated on BBC newsreader Peter Sissons failing to wear a black tie as announced her death. He later claimed he had been left in the lurch by BBC bosses, who the previous year had floated proposals to tone down the extent of the coverage of the Queen Mother’s death. Sissons claimed that as he entered the studio to announce her death he was told by the editor: “Don’t go overboard, she’s a very old woman who had to go some time.”

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I remember Thatcher's death got comparable levels of coverage on the day the news broke and the funeral (not sure how much in between), which I would argue is worse because while not everyone agrees with the Royals, they don't have much power nowadays, but Thatcher, like most politicians, was divisive and controversial to many and ultimately made a number of policies that have a long lasting negative legacy. One does wonder what they'd do when the time comes for someone like Blair or Cameron, who's legacies are arguably even worse.

A special 2 hour long documentary as with Heath, Wilson, Callaghan etc I expect.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Wonder just how much of yesterday's news reportage was pre-recorded?

From what I've heard, probably most of the clips of Prince Philip have been prepared for years, as is procedure in this sort of circumstance. The newsreaders are trained to quickly change into black should the news break during the day.

birchesgreen

Established Member
So I go to the WMR website and get this big pop-up, what further information and updates do I need? I'm here to buy tickets not read the news!

Screenshot 2021-04-10 at 14.44.40.png

Darandio

Established Member
So I go to the WMR website and get this big pop-up, what further information and updates do I need? I'm here to buy tickets not read the news!

Why are you even considering a trivial thing such as buying tickets right now? You should be mourning.

Peter C

Established Member
I am both assuming and really hoping that was not a serious comment...
I think it's very much tongue-in-cheek. ;)

View attachment 94140
This is probably the worst way any TOC has done this sort of thing: LNR is the same, which is to be expected.

-Peter

Darandio

Established Member
I am both assuming and really hoping that was not a serious comment...

Sigh, of course not. Couldn't add smilies though, now when I should be mourning.

Speaking of smiles, let's all be thankful that the BBC are at least getting back to some sort of normal programming and are even showing comedy in the form of Dad's Army later today. Apparently when the Queen dies one of the protocols is no comedy to be shown for 12 days.

py_megapixel

Established Member
This is probably the worst way any TOC has done this sort of thing: LNR is the same, which is to be expected.
Most Abellio-owned companies actually. Greater Anglia, East Mids and Scotrail, but not Abellio Bus

Interestingly Northern and others have changed their stylesheet for their homepage but not for the ticket booking engine, which in Northern's case appears to be subcontracted to The Trainline.

Darandio

Established Member

It very much sums up the strange dystopian and controlled nation we have become in the last 12 months, you must be informed of his death before attempting to do anything normal such as buy a train ticket. Just look at their Twitter feed where they give the following as a twice daily update.

Social distancing is working well across most of our stations and services

They don't tell you trains are running to time or that a good service is being provided, just that everyone is doing as they are told. Bizarre.

Peter C

Established Member
Most Abellio-owned companies actually. Greater Anglia, East Mids and Scotrail, but not Abellio Bus
I didn't know that - thanks.

It very much sums up the strange dystopian and controlled nation we have become in the last 12 months, you must be informed of his death before attempting to do anything normal such as buy a train ticket. Just look at their Twitter feed where they give the following as a twice daily update.

They don't tell you trains are running to time or that a good service is being provided, just that everyone is doing as they are told. Bizarre.
I'm not going to really get into this, but all I will say it's I'm really not a fan of how far TOCs have taken their messaging with regards to Prince Philip.

-Peter

Mat17

Apparently when the Queen dies one of the protocols is no comedy to be shown for 12 days.

12 days is excessive in my opinion. As a lukewarm royalist, I have nothing against the Queen. BUT I guess I'll get a few boxsets in for when that happens and do what I do when the Olympics is on, immerse myself in a different reality until the whole thing has blown over.

brad465

Established Member
Sigh, of course not. Couldn't add smilies though, now when I should be mourning.

Speaking of smiles, let's all be thankful that the BBC are at least getting back to some sort of normal programming and are even showing comedy in the form of Dad's Army later today. Apparently when the Queen dies one of the protocols is no comedy to be shown for 12 days.
Have I got news for you was meant to start its new series yesterday evening, but has been postponed to Monday. Had it been the Queen's death I'm guessing it would have been postponed much longer.

The BBC News page has now started toning down the Prince Philip news (the large headline has been dropped) and the NI unrest is above some of the stories related to the Duke, but still a way to go:

1618063451197.png

DunsBus

Established Member
It's a shame Philip didn't reach 100. So close. I know 99 is a good innings but it would have been nice to make it.

It must be odd recording your comments about a loved one whilst they are alive, for broadcast when they are dead. Not something I'd want to do. Members of the Royal Family.

The Scottish Green Party were able to express their sorrow more widely, thanks to the purdah season.

I think may be they should pause campaigning until after the funeral. Just so there can be less junk mail through the door for a the next week.

The BBC coronavirus live report page stopped reporting at noon. It's still showing as live.

I guess there was no time to switch it to an as it happened page, as is usually the case. I wonder if it will remain like that for a long time to come.

The first BBC live reporting page on Prince Philio had to be removed due to technical issues. It started at 12:19. The second one was after 14:00 hours at some point. The first one was removed as the link to it didn't work.

I attempted to capture the moment BBC programs switched to the news but as some had finished I wasn't able to so for all, save 6 Music, whereby the 30-minute guest mix had been auto uploaded before the BBC could pause it from doing so. The mix faded out. Radio 2 was more abrupt. Not sure who was standing in for Jeremy Vine.

Any program that was due to end at say 13:00 is currently not available but any program which stopped before 12:00 is available. That was the case yesterday evening.

At one stage Dad's Army from 12:00 was available on Radio 4 Extra. That was uploaded rather than a live Radio 4 Extra recording, so it didn't have the announcement but the live broadcast would have done

It was later taken down but the early morning broadcast wasn't.

BBC 2 and 5 Live had the news first. BBC 2 was broadcasting the news and so the announcement was made at 12:04. Some more things were said and they ended by repeating this announcement. Then it faded to black. Now it was 12:09. There was a black BBC News logo screen and The announcement was made again, this time with BBC One included. So it must have taken 4-5 minutes to get stuff together for the official announcement broadcast. BBC One was broadcasting a paramedics documentary, which was faded out not too long before it ended.

On 5 Live you could hear someone in the background talking to the presenter, which was unusual. The presenter, not sure who it was as it may have been a stand-in, was hesitating at times probably waiting for instructions as to what to say.

One online newspaper, I forget which, reported that radio stations switched to radio 4 for the announcement. However, on some radio stations you could end the brief end of Prince Philip, as whoever was broadcasting on 5 Live at the time, was playing a clip of Prince Philip just before the announcement again on that station. The joint radio announcement was at 12:10 so it must have taken slightly longer to get ready to switch over all the radio stations. I'm sure it was Evan Davis who announced it as he was name-checked on radio 4. So it could be that radio 4 produced it, 5 Live carried the radio 4 feed and many other radio stations carried the 5 Live feed of the Radio 4 feed.

The only radio stations not to have the same coverage were those not in English or the children radio station, CBBC.

The national radio program ended at 17:00 at which point the various radio stations then broadcast their own BBC News Specials, a bet almost all carrying the same program name, to confuse matters. However, to confuse matters even further, most radio stations had a BBC News Special listed from 12:00 to 16:00 and from 16:00 to I think 20:00. So the last hour of the national news special was included in the second. The news special actually started at 12:10.

On TV BBC One, BBC Two, BBC News, BBC Parliament, BBC Alba and BBC Scotland were broadcasting the news special, as far as I can tell. S4C, the Welsh Channel 4, was also covering it in Welsh. Later they listed the BBC One News Special as starting at 11:45. It didn't. This matters because if anyone is doing historical research into TV programs, the information will be wrong.

Tonight BBC 4 was broadcasting a loop of a video of crowds chanting. Mostly male and occasionally the odd female in the crowd. There was a message to say you could watch the England match online. No mention of it being on the Red Button. This was out of respect for Prince Philip. It was a women's international friendly.

5 Live was broadcast a men's football match and 5 Live Sports Extra the Masters. So I don't know what that says about their marks of respect to Prince Philip.

LBC is a phone in station but they weren't taking many calls today from the public. I didn't listen to all of their coverage but it wasn't until after 22:00 that I heard Ian Dale give out the phone number. They were reading tweets and texts but not taking phone calls. I don't know if there is a protocol that doesn't allow for people to phone in or they think people have nothing worth saying

I'm not against them speaking to experts but I enjoy hearing other peoples views and thoughts. It doesn't feel like it was Leading Britain's Conversation today.

Also was it my mishearing or did I hear Jemey Corbyn on an LBC broadcast feature paying respect to Prince Philip. These things would have been pre-recorded and put together
It was Vanessa Feltz who was standing in for Jeremy Vine. She'd just played "Love Is A Battlefield" by Pat Bennetar and was introducing the first item, and giving the contact details, when it cut to the announcement. A friend of mine had posted on his Facebook feed about Prince Philip's death just a few minutes previously, so I knew that Vanessa was about to be cut off.

richa2002

Established Member

Hideously Orwellian isn't it. Social media, smartphones and 24 hour news really are a curse. I would happily forego the convenience and ease of communication the first two facilitate in exchange for a vaguely sensible society again.

XAM2175

Established Member
From the link I posted earlier regarding protocol for the Queen's passing:

The population will slide between sadness and irritability. In 2002, 130 people complained to the BBC about its insensitive coverage of the Queen Mother’s death; another 1,500 complained that Casualty was moved to BBC2. The TV schedules in the days after the Queen’s death will change again. Comedy won’t be taken off the BBC completely, but most satire will. There will be Dad’s Army reruns, but no Have I Got News For You.

People will be touchy either way. After the death of George VI, in a society much more Christian and deferential than this one, a Mass Observation survey showed that people objected to the endless maudlin music, the forelock-tugging coverage. “Don’t they think of old folk, sick people, invalids?” one 60-year old woman asked. “It’s been terrible for them, all this gloom.”

Status
Not open for further replies.