• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Prince Philip the Duke of Edinburgh, aged 99, has died

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

It does if you look closely enough.
Yes I can see that the tag on the bears left ear does say that, although it is quite indistinct unlike the rest of the advert which is crystal clear. I wonder if if the Express has deliberately blurred it. I haven't seen the original in the paper.

Gloster

Established Member
The bear is mentioned in Private Eye’s Desperate Marketing section. They add that it was on sale within seven hours of the death announcement.

Calthrop

Established Member
I gather that the firm of Steiff (founded 1880) has for a very long time been reckoned to make the world's best stuffed toy animals; this having been acknowledged by pretty well everyone, even at the white-heat of the World Wars.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I'm not sure they should be quoting H.M. The Queen in the advert even though that is a very well known quote of hers...?

Peter C

Established Member
BBC One are showing Prince Philip coverage from 1000 to 1700 according to the iPlayer: https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/guide
(I assume that the Weekend News at 1620 and the Evening News at 1650 are related to Prince Philip)
No coverage on BBC Two or BBC Four from the looks of it.

-Peter

EDIT: BBC Two will be covering the funeral later today, from 2010.

Last edited:

Mat17

TBH I'm more upset about the passing of Helen McCrory! Peaky Blinders just isn't going to be the same... :(

Such a loss.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The funeral was excellent.

I managed to watch quite a bit of it and it was very well done considering the circumstances. The lack of crowds and fuss would probably have been appreciated by him actually.

SteveM70

Established Member
I thought the funeral was pretty much perfect given the circumstances. I was in the gym at the time and was subjected to the chat afterwards with Huw Edwards and a couple of people I didn’t recognise. That bit was awful, as you’d probably expect

Peter C

Established Member
I saw a few bits of the funeral this afternoon and I thought the same as previous posters. Very well-executed.

-Peter :)

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
I thought the funeral was pretty much perfect given the circumstances. I was in the gym at the time and was subjected to the chat afterwards with Huw Edwards and a couple of people I didn’t recognise. That bit was awful, as you’d probably expect
They really ought to have just faded to black with the family going up the hill on foot and be done with it.

C J Snarzell

Established Member
TBH I'm more upset about the passing of Helen McCrory! Peaky Blinders just isn't going to be the same... :(

Such a loss.

Very sad loss at such a young age. Like Nikki Graham and Shirley Williams who have all passed away this last week, their deaths have been completely over shadowed by the passing of Prince Phillip.

CJ

brad465

Established Member
That was a very good service.

It was a bit sad seeing the queen all sitting on her own like that.
Yes that's the picture fronting many of today's papers here, and I even saw some not normally interested in the Royals sympathetic to the Queen for that experience.

Gloster

Established Member
Watched by 13.6m people in the UK.
Which is only just over one-fifth of the population, if my mental arithmetic is correct, and less than half the number who watched the funeral of Princess Diana (Wikipedia figues). Are there any conclusions to be drawn about the extent of royal support in the country?

Journeyman

Established Member
Which is only just over one-fifth of the population, if my mental arithmetic is correct, and less than half the number who watched the funeral of Princess Diana (Wikipedia figues). Are there any conclusions to be drawn about the extent of royal support in the country?
I think the only conclusion you can draw is that a glamorous young woman who died in her prime is more popular with the public than a very, very old man.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Yes that's the picture fronting many of today's papers here, and I even saw some not normally interested in the Royals sympathetic to the Queen for that experience.

She might be The Queen, be she's still ultimately a human being.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Diana’s funeral was tasteless, ghastly and very harmful to William and Harry.

Philip’s was the best funeral I have ever seen. Done and dusted in 75 minutes with exquisite taste.

pdq

The music was superb. The talent, musicality and guts of the quartet was second to none. Singing like that gives nowhere to hide, but it was stylish, beautifully performed and blemish free throughout. As was the Last Post played by a quartet of bugles. Not a single note was split, and it was great to hear it in a big acoustic where the harmonies are heard resonating rather than outdoors.

hst43102

The music was superb. The talent, musicality and guts of the quartet was second to none. Singing like that gives nowhere to hide, but it was stylish, beautifully performed and blemish free throughout. As was the Last Post played by a quartet of bugles. Not a single note was split, and it was great to hear it in a big acoustic where the harmonies are heard resonating rather than outdoors.
Absolutely. Not really my style but I would give it a 10/10 for the performance. In a way it was much better with only a few select musicians and singers, rather than a whole choir.

al78

Established Member
Nearly 14 million viewers is pretty decent these days isn't it?
How do they count viewer numbers? With many houses having multiple occupants, there will be many cases of multiple people watching one television, so does 14 million mean 14 million people, or 14 million households? If the latter, the true number of individual people watching it will easily be well above 14 million. The UK population covers babies/young children/those without access to a TV, so really you want to compare number of people watching to number of people who have the ability to voluntarily watch it.

Status
Not open for further replies.