• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Prince Phillip hospitalised - Feb 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Challenge

Established Member
Given that this has come up in the thread, though I hope this isn't going to the case on this occasion, I shall share this interesting Long Read (8,000 words) article from March 2017 on The Guardian's website about "London Bridge" - the secret plan for the days after the Queen's death, which also mentions "Forth Bridge", the plan the funeral of the Duke of Edinburgh). Quite a few of the things mentioned in this thread are mentioned in it. I shan't quote it, as there isn't really one section to sum up the article, apart from the subheading included in the link.

This is also available as a in audio form (45 minutes long) from their Long Read podcast, which I would recommend if you have the time:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
I just drove down Pall Mall and there are a lot of satellite TV wagons there. They are obviously expecting news.

infobleep

Veteran Member
I just drove down Pall Mall and there are a lot of satellite TV wagons there. They are obviously expecting news.
When I read the news of Prince Charles visiting the King Edward VII hospital, one of my first thoughts, bearing in mind I knew Prince Philip was already there, what are the rules around visiting?

The BBC eventually provided a quote a link to the hospital Web Site, in the news report. However, in my opinion their quote was misleading as they didn't quote fully enough.
Under England's current coronavirus lockdown rules, visiting someone in a hospital is considered a "reasonable excuse" to leave home, although many hospitals have put significant limits on visitors.

The King Edward VII's hospital website says visitors "will only be considered in exceptional circumstances" during the pandemic.
However the hospital Web Site has this:
To protect our patients we need to limit visitors to our hospital. We recommend virtual visits where possible. Visitors will only be considered in exceptional circumstances, where one visitor will be permitted to visit. No children will be permitted to visit. The health, safety and well-being of our patients, family, carers and staff remain our absolute priority.

Permission for visiting must be discussed directly with Matron’s Office, and would be allowed under the following circumstances:

One regular carer will be allowed for patients with additional needs e.g. dementia, learning disabilities. They will be swabbed to allow them to continue with caring commitments.
For patients receiving end of life care.
So unless Prince Charles is giving regular care to Prince Philip, he should only visit if it's end of life. I mentioned this to my mum and she said but surely if it was end of life the Queen would have attended. I agree but the hospital Web Site does state what it states.

Anyway I do wish Prince Philip all the best and hope he makes it to his hundredth birthday, if not for longer.

DunsBus

Established Member
When the the member of the Royal Family dies, every radio station in the country will have blue obit lights flashing, and presenters have to prepare to play out sombre music before switching to the IRN for the announcement.

I read somewhere that somebody failed to press the button correctly for the obit light network during the passing of the Queen Mother.
You're correct. There were/are two buttons, both of which need to be pressed to fire the obit procedure. Only one of the buttons was pressed, so it didn't fire correctly.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Apparently he's made it clear he wants none of that anyway, no crowds and no lying in state. He wants a private military style funeral at Windsor before private burial.
With this in mind, it is quite possible that we would not get any announcement until after the funeral has taken place.

There is precedent for that with a few celebrities in recent years.

backontrack

Established Member
With this in mind, it is quite possible that we would not get any announcement until after the funeral has taken place.

There is precedent for that with a few celebrities in recent years.
There might be an issue with that: the Queen would have to enter into an official morning period. Would that begin on the day of the funeral or subsequently to the announcement?

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
There might be an issue with that: the Queen would have to enter into an official morning period. Would that begin on the day of the funeral or subsequently to the announcement?

If there were no formal engagements scheduled - and there aren't a lot at the moment for obvious reasons - it would be easy enough for that to start out of sight as well, would it not?

backontrack

Established Member
If there were no formal engagements scheduled - and there aren't a lot at the moment for obvious reasons - it would be easy enough for that to start out of sight as well, would it not?
I'm not entirely sure.

Part of that mourning period includes flags at halfmast, which would provide some physical indication.

Typhoon

Established Member
When I read the news of Prince Charles visiting the King Edward VII hospital, one of my first thoughts, bearing in mind I knew Prince Philip was already there, what are the rules around visiting?

The BBC eventually provided a quote a link to the hospital Web Site, in the news report. However, in my opinion their quote was misleading as they didn't quote fully enough.
Since Prince Philip would be in a ward/ room on his own, there might be grounds for varying the rules. I don't know but it is quite possible that Charles is in his support bubble. Also, one of the posts earlier alluded to the short time Charles spent at the hospital. It is possible that the visit entailed Charles standing outside of the ward and waving to his father from outside and passing any personal messages through to him (I have seen speculation that part of his reason for visiting is to update Philip on the situation regarding Harry and Meghan), then getting an update from the medics, no actual face to face contact.

It might be risk assessed that it’s too high risk for her to attend hospital with covid at present.
If it was definitely 'end of life', I am sure that arrangements would have been made for him to remain at Windsor. If it is not, there is no reason for her to visit, there are other ways for them to communicate. However the Evening Standard reported that he walking into the hospital unaided; even if he was aided, that does not seem to me like someone who has days rather than years. I am prepared to take 'precautionary' at face value.

I was really disappointed that when I typed 'Prince Philip' into a search engine, I was offered the 'd' word. He is a very old man, his body won't be working as well as it might be, there is some cause for concern (especially because of his status), they are being cautious, that's it. Can't the photographers alluded to it #32 find something better to do, are there not children with sad faces they can photograph who are not at school, no pictures of empty football stadia (except for a few over-paid players), is the PM not visiting a vaccine centre?

Peter C

Established Member
From Auntie Beeb:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56150725 said:
The Duke of Edinburgh is "OK" after spending a sixth night in hospital, the Duke of Cambridge has said.
Speaking on a visit in Norfolk, Prince William also told reporters that doctors were "keeping an eye" on his 99-year-old grandfather.
Prince Philip was admitted to the King Edward VII's hospital in London last week as a precaution.
The exact reason for his admission has not been disclosed but his stay is not related to coronavirus.
A Buckingham Palace source said on Friday that it was likely Prince Philip would stay in hospital into this week.
He was visited by his son, the Prince of Wales, on Saturday.
A palace source previously said that the duke, who turns 100 in June, had walked into the hospital in Marylebone unaided.

He had been feeling unwell for a few days and was admitted as a precaution on the advice of his doctor.
Both he and the Queen, 94, received Covid-19 vaccinations last month.
The couple, who celebrated their 73rd wedding anniversary last November, have been spending lockdown at Windsor Castle with a small household staff.
Prince Charles, 72, spent about 30 minutes at the hospital visiting his father on Saturday afternoon.
A Clarence House spokesman said he returned to his Highgrove residence after the visit.

Prince William was asked about the duke's health during a visit to a Covid-19 vaccination centre in the King's Lynn Corn Exchange, in Norfolk. It is near Anmer Hall, where the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have been staying with their children during lockdown.
Other members of the Royal Family have also continued with their official duties in the past few days.
The Queen knighted a royal aide during a private socially-distanced ceremony at Windsor on Thursday.
Meanwhile, Prince Charles and the Duchess of Cornwall unveiled a plaque to thank NHS workers during a visit to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Birmingham last week.
Prince Philip has received treatment for various health conditions over the years, including a blocked coronary artery in 2011, a bladder infection in 2012 and exploratory surgery on his abdomen in June 2013.

-Peter

johnnychips

Established Member
Blimey, you lot are morbid. I have a great deal of respect for PP because of his very active involvement in the Duke of Edinburgh’s Award, for which he has been very actively involved, not just a figurehead.

A Challenge

Established Member
Blimey, you lot are morbid. I have a great deal of respect for PP because of his very active involvement in the Duke of Edinburgh’s Award, for which he has been very actively involved, not just a figurehead.
I think he is no longer doing that, but it is impressive how long he kept it up for, it's not that long ago he gave it up.

brad465

Established Member
TLDR News (an unbiased alternative media channel), released this video earlier today outlining the "Forth Bridge" plans:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
According to sky news twitter Prince Phillip has been moved from King Edward VII hospital to St Batholomews hospital for ongoing treatment for an infection

brad465

Established Member
According to sky news twitter Prince Phillip has been moved from King Edward VII hospital to St Batholomews hospital for ongoing treatment for an infection
Yes the BBC are now reporting the same, I've heard before this transfer he was already on his longest single hospital stay.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
he is a 99 year old bloke so hospital time is to be expected!

The Duke of Edinburgh has been transferred to St Bartholomew's Hospital to treat an infection - after 13 nights at another London hospital, Buckingham Palace has said.

Doctors treating Prince Philip, 99, will also undertake testing and observation for a pre-existing heart condition, the palace said.

The duke is responding to treatment and "remains comfortable", the palace said.

He is expected to remain in hospital until at least the end of the week.

Philip, who turns 100 in June, was taken to King Edward VII's hospital in London on 16 February as a precaution after feeling unwell.

infobleep

Veteran Member
he is a 99 year old bloke so hospital time is to be expected!

I hadn't realised the new hospital Prince Philip was taken to treated private paitents and NHS ones.

For some reason I thought hospitals were either NHS or private. I knew the staff had NHS and private patients but I didn't expect that to be all at one place, like at St Bartholomews

EssexGonzo

I hadn't realised the new hospital Prince Philip was taken to treated private paitents and NHS ones.

For some reason I thought hospitals were either NHS or private. I knew the staff had NHS and private patients but I didn't expect that to be all at one place, like at St Bartholomews

Well, private hospitals provide services to the NHS - our local Nuffield takes NHS patients for scans and procedures to relieve pressure on the NHS facilities.

And private hospitals know when they need to send a patient back to the the NHS as the best place for specific care - as in this case. Barts si clearly able to offer better and more responsive cardiac care than a private facility.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Well, private hospitals provide services to the NHS - our local Nuffield takes NHS patients for scans and procedures to relieve pressure on the NHS facilities.

And private hospitals know when they need to send a patient back to the the NHS as the best place for specific care - as in this case. Barts si clearly able to offer better and more responsive cardiac care than a private facility.
I know that but I didn't know NHS hospitals also dealt with private patients.

I assume if someone is referred to an NHS hospital it is as an NHS patient.

EssexGonzo

I know that but I didn't know NHS hospitals also dealt with private patients.

I assume if someone is referred to an NHS hospital it is as an NHS patient.

He may well have been transferred there as an NHS patient. A private hospital will have clear boundaries around their competencies and he may have reached one of those e.g. critical care, emergencies, etc.

IIRC, the ambulance I saw on TV was an NHS ambulance?

backontrack

Established Member
It's looking increasingly likely that Prince Charles's visit wasn't beholden to the 'exceptional circumstances' rule, because it's probably not going to be end of life.

Some scrutiny is due, I think - even if it may be unpalatable to some reactionaries. This country believes in the divine right to rule; that doesn't constitute a divine right to a different set of rules.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
It's looking increasingly likely that Prince Charles's visit wasn't beholden to the 'exceptional circumstances' rule, because it's probably not going to be end of life.

Some scrutiny is due, I think - even if it may be unpalatable to some reactionaries. This country believes in the divine right to rule; that doesn't constitute a divine right to a different set of rules.
I think while the Duke is severely ill, criticising Charles’ visit to the hospital would be in bad taste and inappropriate at the moment, just personally. I do hope he recovers well.

infobleep

Veteran Member
I think while the Duke is severely ill, criticising Charles’ visit to the hospital would be in bad taste and inappropriate at the moment, just personally. I do hope he recovers well.
I have no problem with people visiting, as long as the hospital doesn't turn someone else away in a similar position to Prince Charles, when they are wishing to visit a family member.

Just as last year I didn't object to the Prince of Wales having a covid-19 test but I did object to the spokesperson saying he was following Scottish government rules when at the time the rules were not to get tested but isolate. All they had to do was say he's the future King and he needs a test. Just be honest.

Peter C

Established Member
Some excellent news from the Beeb just now:

The Duke of Edinburgh has undergone a successful procedure for a pre-existing heart condition, Buckingham Palace says.

Prince Philip, 99, has spent 16 nights in hospital.
He was being treated for an infection and moved to St Bartholomew's Hospital in London on 1 March for tests and observation on his heart condition.

This story has just broken (0936) so that's all there is on the linked page at the moment.

-Peter

superalbs

Established Member
Quoted...
TransPennine Express respond after major Prince Philip error on website
Prince Phillip, 99, has spent 16 nights in hospital and has undergone a successful procedure for a pre-existing heart condition

TransPennine Express have issued a response after website users spotted a major Prince Philip error.

People visiting the train operator 's website on Thursday would have been greeted by the message: "We are saddened by the death of His Royal Highness The Duke of Edinburgh."

Prince Philip, 99, has spent 16 nights in hospital – his longest-ever stay.

Buckingham Palace said on Thursday morning that the Duke of Edinburgh had undergone a successful procedure for a pre-existing heart condition while being treated at St Bartholomew's Hospital.

They added that he would remain in hospital for treatment, rest and recuperation for a number of days.

TPE responded when asked on social media: "Why have you got on your website that the Duke of Edinburgh has passed away."

A message from the official account said in response: "Hi Paul, we are aware of this error on our website and we are working as quickly as possible to rectify this."

It appears the error took around 30 minutes to rectify.

Prince Philip was moved by ambulance to St Bartholomew's Hospital in the City of London on Monday for testing for a pre-existing heart condition and treatment for an infection.

He was initially admitted to the private King Edward VII's Hospital on February 16 as a precautionary measure after feeling unwell.

Mugby

Established Member
So reports of his death were greatly exaggerated!

TPE said they were 'Working as quickly as possible to rectify the problem'...
... Shouldn't that have been working as quickly as possible to think of an excuse for this howler!

Status
Not open for further replies.