• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Prince Phillip hospitalised - Feb 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

backontrack

Established Member
Social media - particularly Twitter - is currently bubbling with chatter that Prince Phillip's condition has worsened:

Chris Ship (ITV): Prince Charles has visited his father at King Edward VII hospital. We have asked why he went all the way from Highgrove in Gloucestershire to central London. We are told no further update on Duke of Edinburgh’s health
Piers Morgan: What an incredibly sad picture. A tearful son after seeing his seriously ill 99yr-old father in hospital. If your first instinct is to spew abuse or rage about Prince Charles visiting Prince Philip today, shut the [redacted] up.
Kayla Adams: Prince Charles visiting Prince Philip shows that his condition isn’t great. Just for context, SOME hospitals ARE allowing visitors for patients who are at the end of life or extremely critical. It totally depends on the area you’re living in and the hospital.

I understand that Twitter noise tends not to mean anything, and that this has happened before, but it does feel a little different this time (although maybe it's just me). We've had pictures of a tearful Prince Charles at the hospital, and phrases such as "seriously ill" and "Forth Bridge" being bandied about by people whose names I actually know, such as Piers Morgan (although, to be fair, he is Piers Morgan...)

My feelings towards the royals don't really reach ambivalence or even apathy, to be honest - to my decidedly un-royalist eyes, they're all just a big pageant for the papers - but this is still the lead news story at the moment and it's certainly worth remarking on.

For what it's worth, he's 99 years old, which isn't bad going at all. He's lived a very eventful life.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Social media - particularly Twitter - is currently bubbling with chatter that Prince Phillip's condition has worsened.

The S*n, apparently, reported his death and then took down the article.

I understand that Twitter noise tends not to mean anything, and that this has happened before, but it does feel a little different this time (although maybe it's just me). We've had pictures of a tearful Prince Charles at the hospital, and phrases such as "seriously ill" and "Forth Bridge" being bandied about by people whose names I actually know.

My feelings towards the royals don't really reach ambivalence or even apathy, to be honest - to my decidedly un-royalist eyes, they're all just a big pageant for the papers - but this is still the lead news story at the moment and it's certainly worth remarking on.

For what it's worth, he's 99 years old, which isn't bad going at all. He's lived a very eventful life.
It was also worth noting that both the BBC and ITV late news presenters were both wearing black. Make of that what you will.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I have noticed a lot of silly comments on social media. Regardless of what else he might be, and I am no fan of the Royal Family, Prince Phillip is a 99 year old man with a family and if it is the end of his life he deserves dignity and privacy just as we would want for our family. Also, if his son is upset seeing his father decline and perhaps expire ( and I have been there and made those visits and know how it feels) he deserves privacy and respect to.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I have noticed a lot of silly comments on social media. Regardless of what else he might be, and I am no fan of the Royal Family, Prince Phillip is a 99 year old man with a family and if it is the end of his life he deserves dignity and privacy just as we would want for our family. Also, if his son is upset seeing his father decline and perhaps expire ( and I have been there and made those visits and know how it feels) he deserves privacy and respect to.

Very true.

Peter C

Established Member
I agree with @Cowley in my response to this. Maybe people should think about the human side of these things sometimes.

It was also worth noting that both the BBC and ITV late news presenters were both wearing black. Make of that what you will.
Without wanting to start speculation, I believe that's normally reserved for reporting the death of a member of the Royal Family? I'm not 100% sure though. So maybe (and hopefully) it was just a coincidence.

-Peter

westv

Established Member
I've not noticed anything on social media nor have I seen any pictures of a "tearful" Prince Charles.

Peter C

Established Member
I've not noticed anything on social media nor have I seen any pictures of a "tearful" Prince Charles.
There isn't so much on social media (i.e. Twitter) today, but there was definitely quite a bit online about it a few days ago.

-Peter

backontrack

Established Member
They still are!

If anyone is listening to Radio 1, and they start playing sombre ambient music, you'll know an announcement is imminent.

(And if it did happen, then TV programmes would crash out into a frame from an ident, then cut into the news. After the first announcement, the royal standard would be shown onscreen, and the national anthem would play.)

richw

Veteran Member
On the bbc news website home page they’ve removed all headlines of his hospitalisation and Charles visiting.
(bbc.co.Uk/news)

Kite159

Veteran Member
I can remember when Prince Phillip visited Tidworth Camp back in 2010, at how all the bigwigs went into panic mode making sure everything was perfect (brand new uniforms for staff). One of the few times I've seen soldiers being ordered to carry out litter picking on camp around the area he was due to be driven past/visit.

If the rumours are true, then RIP Prince Phillip, for he has worked quite hard for his life

FrodshamJnct

Established Member

Well said.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Without wanting to start speculation, I believe that's normally reserved for reporting the death of a member of the Royal Family? I'm not 100% sure though. So maybe (and hopefully) it was just a coincidence.
That's what I was thinking. I do wish to speculate either, but I noticed it and thought it was unusual. That is I don't ever recall having seem them wearing black at such a coincidental time if you get my meaning.

They still are!
I haven't watched again since last night.

Typhoon

Established Member
It will be exaggeration, Charles has developed a rather mournful look and elements of the press have added two and two together and made twenty two. He might even have pushed a hair or two off of his face. He's got a mask on, what do they expect. If he had smiled they would have jumped upon him for not looking sombre. The Royal Family cannot win.

If something happens we will know soon enough.

Final thought: I would have thought the Queen would want to be by his bedside after 73 years of marriage, if it really is as bad as has been reported in places?

Peter C

Established Member
That's what I was thinking. I do wish to speculate either, but I noticed it and thought it was unusual. That is I don't ever recall having seem them wearing black at such a coincidental time if you get my meaning.
Yep - I totally understand what you meant. :) I'm hoping nothing bad has happened but the presenter on BBC News earlier today was also wearing black, with a fairly dark-coloured tie.

Final thought: I would have thought the Queen would want to be by his bedside after 73 years of marriage, if it really is as bad as has been reported in places?
That's what I was thinking as well: I expect we might hear more tomorrow or some time early next week.

-Peter

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I would have thought this too, they have after all been together for over seven decades so you would think so.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
To lighten the mood slightly, I hope Prince Philip lives to see his next birthday. At 100 he will be eligible for a card from the Queen!
I wonder he would merit the double honour of HM delivering it personally? ;)

duncanp

Established Member
It will be exaggeration, Charles has developed a rather mournful look and elements of the press have added two and two together and made twenty two. He might even have pushed a hair or two off of his face. He's got a mask on, what do they expect. If he had smiled they would have jumped upon him for not looking sombre. The Royal Family cannot win.

If something happens we will know soon enough.

If the Duke of Edinburgh passes away before all the COVID restrictions are lifted, they will have to make alternative arrangements for the funeral.

They won't be able to have a funeral where large crowds are gathered, nor a lying in state.

One wonders whether such alternative arrangements have been thought of.

brad465

Established Member
It brought to mind the controversy Peter Sissons faced for wearing a burgundy tie announcing the death of the Queen Mother. Personally I don't think it was that big a deal, given it was dark generally, and certainly not a bright red or blue tie.

Darandio

Established Member
If the Duke of Edinburgh passes away before all the COVID restrictions are lifted, they will have to make alternative arrangements for the funeral.

They won't be able to have a funeral where large crowds are gathered, nor a lying in state.

One wonders whether such alternative arrangements have been thought of.

Apparently he's made it clear he wants none of that anyway, no crowds and no lying in state. He wants a private military style funeral at Windsor before private burial.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
It brought to mind the controversy Peter Sissons faced for wearing a burgundy tie announcing the death of the Queen Mother. Personally I don't think it was that big a deal, given it was dark generally, and certainly not a bright red or blue tie.
I don't remember hearing of that. And I would agree with you, I don't think that would be a big deal. That is to say I don't think the colour of tie really matters.

Typhoon

Established Member
Apparently he's made it clear he wants none of that anyway, no crowds and no lying in state. He wants a private military style funeral at Windsor before private burial.
I am not surprised, he has never been one for fuss and bother. Although he has been controversial at times, he has done the job he acquired almost 70 years ago with the minimum of ostentatiousness.

DunsBus

Established Member
I don't remember hearing of that. And I would agree with you, I don't think that would be a big deal. That is to say I don't think the colour of tie really matters.
It certainly didn't, though some sections of the press would have had you believe otherwise! It was also nothing compared to the almighty screw-up which IRN made that day: their obit procedure crumbled when only one of the two "obit alarm" buttons at IRN HQ was pressed when news broke of the Queen Mother's death. This meant that some stations (those in automation) taking the IRN feed weren't notified about it until the top of the hour news bulletin at 6pm. It was said at the time that whoever pressed the buttons pressed the one marked "hot soup" instead of the one marked "dead royal".

backontrack

Established Member
It certainly didn't, though some sections of the press would have had you believe otherwise! It was also nothing compared to the almighty screw-up which IRN made that day: their obit procedure crumbled when only one of the two "obit alarm" buttons at IRN HQ was pressed when news broke of the Queen Mother's death. This meant that some stations (those in automation) taking the IRN feed weren't notified about it until the top of the hour news bulletin at 6pm. It was said at the time that whoever pressed the buttons pressed the one marked "hot soup" instead of the one marked "dead royal".
As well as this, there were further issues with how it was all co-ordinated at the BBC.

BBC2 faded out of Steptoe & Son onto a yellow screen frame from an ident, with an announcement being given that they were joining BBC1 for an important news announcement. But BBC1 was running late. They lingered as BBC News needed more time to prepare.

It meant that BBC2 was stuck on a yellow screen for nearly five minutes.

Eventually, BBC1 went into the news, and BBC2 joined with them. By then, ITV and Sky had already announced the news (and BBC2 viewers had probably switched over).

It was one day into BBC1's new dancing idents package, too. They'd completely updated their pres.

Funnily enough, this all happened the day before I was born!

Ex-head of BBC News Roger Mosey remarked in his memoirs that, by the way the media kicked up a fuss about Sissons' tie, you'd have thought it was a great big pink polka-dot bow.

And you're right, of course: the colour of the tie really doesn't matter.

Incidentally, there's a reason why Sissons wasn't wearing a black tie. You see, it'd always been supposed that the story of the Queen Mother's death would break gradually; first she'd be hospitalised, then days would pass as her conditions worsened, and then the news would come in. They expected to be reporting on her condition before it happened. It would be a developing story on News 24, not a breaking one; and so they need not adopt black ties till the second bulletin after the news broke.

However, Buck Palace kept it all under wraps, and the Queen Mother passed away at home, so the first that they heard of it was her actual passing. 9/11 had broadened BBC News' sense of perspective; the QM was no longer considered a 'Category 1' figure, so they tried to keep things reserved. The burgundy tie was considered suitably sober. The last words in Sissons' ear before they went live were "Don't go overboard. Remember: she's a very old woman who had to go some time".

OFCOM complaints about Casualty being moved actually outweighed the complaints made about the tie fairly sizeably, anyway.

Last edited:

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I'm sure I've heard of something similar happening, not with a death but an incident where automation caused a delay in the news being broken. Quite a few years ago, but there's something in the back of my mind.

OFCOM complaints about Casualty being moved actually outweighed the complaints made about the tie fairly sizeably, anyway.
In true British style! ;)

When the the member of the Royal Family dies, every radio station in the country will have blue obit lights flashing, and presenters have to prepare to play out sombre music before switching to the IRN for the announcement.

I read somewhere that somebody failed to press the button correctly for the obit light network during the passing of the Queen Mother.

Status
Not open for further replies.