• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Prince Philip the Duke of Edinburgh, aged 99, has died

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mat17

Just have a subscription with Netflix, a good supply of boxsets or a nice pile of books to read!

The media reporting of the death of the Queen will be a long journey which will run right through to the coronation of her successor, it could last as long as this whole covid thing.

AntoniC

I will be spending this Saturrday watching anything thats vaguely interesting on Amazon Prime or Netflix and playing games on my PC rather than watch the funeral.

nlogax

Established Member
I'll be watching my PS5 and awaiting the rumoured return of the Duke in zombie form.

On a more serious note I had no idea the funeral was this Saturday, proving it's perfectly possible to zone out from this stuff and bypass royal news.

Mat17

I had no idea when the funeral was either. I spent most of my time watching the documentary channels or perusing eBay.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
On a more serious note I had no idea the funeral was this Saturday, proving it's perfectly possible to zone out from this stuff and bypass royal news.

I had no idea when the funeral was either.

It's this Saturday 3 p.m. Many of the weekend's sporting fixtures have had to be re-arranged to avoid being in progress between 1445 and 1615.

brad465

Established Member
Just wait for when his wife goes. That will be a whole different level.
I'm actually dreading it already.
The Duke's passing has certainly been a good insight into what to expect for the Queen when her time comes. After that though I don't think any other royal passing will achieve the same level of grief or excessive coverage, given the Duke and the Queen have had the highest approval ratings for royals, and by the time someone like Charles goes there may have been reforms to how mourning periods are covered, especially as he has a comparatively low approval rating typically (the last I recall was Charles had around 50%, with the Queen nigh on 80%).

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
I’ll be watching the funeral with a couple of drinks. 70+ years of public service to the public and to our head of state.

Journeyman

Established Member
I intend to take advantage of Scotland's newly-lifted travel restrictions on Saturday.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Thank you for sharing all of this - it's the sort of thing I find interesting. This Twitter thread may be of interest to people with similar interests:
(It's not exactly easy to quote as there are lots of videos over multiple tweets. It's essentially a compilation of how different BBC channels began broadcasting the news.)

-Peter
Thanks for sharing that. They happen to be all the ones I missed

DelW

Established Member
It's this Saturday 3 p.m. Many of the weekend's sporting fixtures have had to be re-arranged to avoid being in progress between 1445 and 1615.

I’ll be watching the funeral with a couple of drinks. 70+ years of public service to the public and to our head of state.
I've just been looking at the Freeview on-screen TV guide for Saturday, to make a few plans for the day, and to my surprise there's no sign of funeral coverage - it's showing coverage of snooker on BBC1, and racing on ITV.

I wouldn't be surprised at listings mags having gone to press before the funeral schedule was decided, but surely the EPG ought to have been updated by now?

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I've just been looking at the Freeview on-screen TV guide for Saturday, to make a few plans for the day, and to my surprise there's no sign of funeral coverage - it's showing coverage of snooker on BBC1, and racing on ITV.

I wouldn't be surprised at listings mags having gone to press before the funeral schedule was decided, but surely the EPG ought to have been updated by now?
Radio Times ( link below ) is showing it on Sky 1 from 14.45 until 16.00, but the other channels no change as yet. I imagine they won't update any channel on EPG or online listing guides until the full schedules for the day for that channel have been decided.

Peter C

Established Member
Thanks for sharing that. They happen to be all the ones I missed
You're welcome. The way in which the different channels went about showing the news, or pointing towards it in the case of CBBC and CBeebies, makes for interesting viewing.

-Peter

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
The hearse is going to be fairly non-traditional:

A full military rehearsal for the Duke of Edinburgh’s funeral offered a first glimpse of the specially modified Land Rover he helped to design, which will bear his coffin to St George’s Chapel at Windsor Castle.

The duke’s project, which spanned 16 years, resulted in the custom-built Land Rover Defender TD5 130, which he requested be painted in military green. It is equipped with an open-top rear and special rubber grip “stops” to secure his coffin.

He made the final adjustments in 2019, when he was 98. The Defender was made in Land Rover’s factory in Solihull in 2003, with Philip overseeing modifications throughout the intervening years. Land Rover has maintained the vehicle since it was built.

Classy!

SteveM70

Established Member
That’s like something out of the joke adverts in Private Eye or Viz. Ridiculous

birchesgreen

Established Member
I thought it was a joke when I saw the ad posted on twitter but I checked the link and it was real, wow just wow.

They had that already made for his 100th birthday and just quickly added the armband haven't they?

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I thought it was a joke when I saw the ad posted on twitter but I checked the link and it was real, wow just wow.

They had that already made for his 100th birthday and just quickly added the armband haven't they?

Yes I would say so. There must be quite a bit of centenary tat produced that won’t see the light of day now.
This is poor (paw?) though.

Status
Not open for further replies.