PRIV discount holders need to queue (even if the queue is lengthy) in order to obtain 75% discount

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by Elecman, 22 Mar 2020.

1. Elecman

Elecman Established Member

just received next years Staff travel facilities on on reading the additional blurb sheet noticed the cession on buying reduced rate ticket. Interestingly we have to buy a ticket at an open ticket office irrespective of the length of the queue unlike the public who do not need to queue for more than 5-10 minutes

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. Mag_seven

Mag_seven Established Member Associate Staff General Discussion

Given how generous the discount is (75%) I'd suggest that that restriction is a fairly minor inconvenience in the scheme of things.

4. Intermodal

Intermodal Member

So just to clarify: someone who is in receipt of a 75% discount is being treated worse than someone who has to pay full price?

5. kieron

kieron Established Member

I believe Elecman may have fallen foul of a myth. Station operators do have a duty to ensure that people can buy tickets within 5 minutes, but you don't have any extra rights if they fail to carry it out, whoever you are.

6. theironroad

theironroad Established Member

Bear in mind safeguarded staff get better travel facilities than newer non safeguarded staff. You have the option of skipping the queue completely by filling in a box, while non safeguarded staff have no such option and have to queue.

7. Wallsendmag

Wallsendmag Established Member

Safeguarded can be removed from that sentence

8. Aictos

Aictos Established Member

And then you get people who work for the railways as contractors eg cleaners, gateline staff etc who get no travel facilities at all so for those who might have to wait 5 minutes to buy a ticket isn't really that bad, more so if you are safeguarded and you don't need to buy at a ticket office by using up a box.

Sometimes people really do need to think themselves lucky they get free or discounted travel instead of moaning!

9. yorkie

yorkie Forum Staff Staff Member Administrator

I have amended the thread title so that it's now descriptive and accurate.

10. Intermodal

Intermodal Member

I commend the way you have reworded that title to accurately portray the entitled nature of the post :D

11. matt_world2004

matt_world2004 Established Member

Technically priv ticket holders , providing they are fit and able to to have to give up their seat to a paying customer if there is no available seating m so yes. Someone who is in receipt of a staff discount is treated worse than a paying customer

12. Intermodal

Intermodal Member

You've totally missed my point. Any such inconveniences are more than offset by the huge discount, the option to uses boxes in some cases and of course the option to buy a full price walk up or advance ticket if they really did desire a guaranteed seat. Priv holders are clearly at a net benefit in all circumstances - the clue is in the name "privilege".

To complain about having to queue to buy a ticket like every other passenger in the UK when in receipt of such fantastic benefits is very tone deaf in today's climate of high fares and poor services.

Incidentally, I am a Priv holder, to remove any doubt that I may be some anti-rail staff passenger.

13. 185

185 Established Member

Apart from DOO areas, in this current situation, everything is a greyer area than 50 shades despite what is written in the holy RSTL guide. I'd rather *not* have staff, especially operational staff, standing in a sneezing queue of passengers to buy a ticket. Instead (at a distance, preferably of some kilometres) they should approach the conductor, probably at the rear and ask for permission to board satisfying 'with every intention of paying for a priv'.

Packing operational staff into a queue full of sneezing coughing punters only serves to worsen shortages of staff at present. Of note, Priv is for leisure use, and there should be very little at present, given that journeys should really be undertaken only if absolutely necessary.

14. gazthomas

gazthomas Established Member

Doubt you'll have any problems at the moment, assuming you'll be using your PRIV for only critical travel

15. bunnahabhain

bunnahabhain Established Member

I always understood that to apply only when using boxes or a pass, not when you've purchased a ticket even a Q-rate.

16. janb

janb Member

17. Deerfold

Deerfold Established Member

I wasn't rail staff, but was entitled to a quarter fare season ticket due to an agreement between East Coast and my employer.

I was not supposed to sit if other passengers were standing.

18. Goldfish62

Goldfish62 Established Member

The answer then is not to use the staff discount and elect to be a paying customer. Simples. :D

19. theironroad

theironroad Established Member

If staff buy a ticket then they become a paying customer , in some cases paying more than non staff on the same train on advance tickets (which staff aren't able to get discounts on). Staff are also eligible for delay repay as any other customer on a ticket they've purchased.

20. RJ

RJ Established Member

I've tried that before boarding a few times and had a few negative responses ranging from telling me to go and buy a Priv ticket from a TVM if the ticket office is closed, to being offered a £140 Penalty Fare if I stepped aboard, to being told to buy at destination because they'd cashed up - and that caused problems at the destination ticket office. So it's not a foolproof way of getting a ticket unfortunately.

The problem is probably caused by innumerable instances of staff who aren't actually entitled to free travel assuming they will be let off without getting permission before boarding. I don't really agree with staff doing this because it puts the guard in an awkward position that staff of all people shouldn't be putting them in. Ask before boarding if it's a train with a guard on board, or otherwise buy a ticket if there's an open ticket office.

Last edited: 28 Mar 2020 at 22:44
  21. Goldfish62

Goldfish62 Established Member

I know staff who have privs who buy advance tickets when they're cheaper. Being staff does not mean you are beholden to always buy priv tickets. :)