• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

PRIV discount holders need to queue (even if the queue is lengthy) in order to obtain 75% discount

Status
Not open for further replies.

philthetube

Established Member
I know staff who have privs who buy advance tickets when they're cheaper. Being staff does not mean you are beholden to always buy priv tickets. :)

Indeed, I have a priv and a senior rail card.

Fellow train crew do get days off you know, and many live in secondary accomodation.

Besides @Haywain well said. When asked for one, I don't where the priv button is on envoy so unfortunately have to move on to the next customer.

I would much rather pay, can cause real hassle if you run into a revenue block, both for yourself and the member of train staff concerned, although they may have the technical right to allow travel, it is almost certainly against the TOC policy.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AndrewE

Established Member
Given how generous the discount is (75%) I'd suggest that that restriction is a fairly minor inconvenience in the scheme of things.
People seem to have overlooked the simple fact that entitlement to priv rate tickets is part of the terms and conditions of employment, i.e. the contract of employment, and when you sign it you are foregoing (trading in) cash remuneration in return for the travel concession.
It is extremely annoying that whereas people can buy most other tickets online (and thus have multiple options for avoiding queues) there is absolutely no alternative if you want a priv ticket.
And as said above too, for a long time some public fares were cheaper than privs. Our children "joined" the Rail Riders club because the members' flat fare was less than buying priv tickets for them.

Goldfish62

Established Member
People seem to have overlooked the simple fact that entitlement to priv rate tickets is part of the terms and conditions of employment, i.e. the contract of employment, and when you sign it you are foregoing (trading in) cash remuneration in return for the travel concession.
It is extremely annoying that whereas people can buy most other tickets online (and thus have multiple options for avoiding queues) there is absolutely no alternative if you want a priv ticket.
And as said above too, for a long time some public fares were cheaper than privs. Our children "joined" the Rail Riders club because the members' flat fare was less than buying priv tickets for them.
Is it contractual? The TfL staff pass isn't, and may be withdrawn at any time.

AndrewE

Established Member
Is it contractual? The TfL staff pass isn't, and may be withdrawn at any time.
That does surprise me. I suggest the people involved consult their union rep, or look at their contracts. It may be that it can be withdrawn if the terms [of issue] are infringed. That is very different to "may be withdrawn at any time."

Deerfold

Veteran Member
That does surprise me. I suggest the people involved consult their union rep, or look at their contracts. It may be that it can be withdrawn if the terms [of issue] are infringed. That is very different to "may be withdrawn at any time."

I can confirm that the TfL staff pass is a non-contractual benefit for staff and someone else living at their address.

I would expect staff and unions to be very unhappy if it was removed, but it can be withdrawn without renumeration at any time.

It can also be withdrawn if the terms are infringed. You're also not entitled to an unlimited number of replacements if lost or stolen.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Nope, it's made more than clear that it's non contractual and may be withdrawn at any time.

AndrewE

Established Member
Nope, it's made more than clear that it's non contractual and may be withdrawn at any time.
That's a disappointment (better than not having it of course) but a bit of a bummer if it can be withdrawn for no reason. Especially as travel is only going to become more expensive - and people will have made house location and purchase price decisions based on what was available.

Goldfish62

Established Member
That's a disappointment (better than not having it of course) but a bit of a bummer if it can be withdrawn for no reason. Especially as travel is only going to become more expensive - and people will have made house location and purchase price decisions based on what was available.
It's always been the case, probably way back to 1933. There are a number of other perks in TfL depending on your role/grade and all can be withdrawn without notice. That's generally the case with company perks anyway.

theironroad

Established Member
On national rail certainly, since 'new entrants' started around 1996/7 travel is non contractual. 'Safeguarded', staff (pre 1996) as the term suggests is contractual.

RJ

Established Member
Under normal circumstances, maybe - but my response is in relation to the current situation... given the current pandemic, if any traincrew are involving themselves with 'protecting revenue', they do need to have a word with themselves. Priority is staying safe, isolated and keeping the trains moving for fellow key workers - this includes ensuring fellow traincrew don't get stuck in queues for tickets. And ensuring a well stocked Netflix download. Ahem. :)

Fair enough. My local station is on the Southeastern metro network. It has manned barriers and I queue for a Priv ticket if making a journey, not that I have in the last week or intend to anytime soon. Unless given some sort of pass by the powers that be I expect I'd continue to queue and maintain a 2m distance from others.

Even in the current situation, there are risks attached for staff who should have a ticket boarding a train without one. Not everyone has the same approach as you do - and whilst I very much appreciate your thoughtfulness and consideration as would others, there are others who will go by the book or even unduly give people a hard time.

Everywhere else seems to have self enforcing social distancing in queues at the moment. It's the new normal for the foreseeable and should be encouraged at stations so risk of spread is mitigated for everybody, including staff.

Last edited:

Goldfish62

Established Member
On national rail certainly, since 'new entrants' started around 1996/7 travel is non contractual. 'Safeguarded', staff (pre 1996) as the term suggests is contractual.
Yes, similar with privs at TfL. No one who joined post-April 1996 gets them, but staff employed prior to that date retain them. To say it creates some tensions is an understatement!

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Yes, similar with privs at TfL. No one who joined post-April 1996 gets them, but staff employed prior to that date retain them. To say it creates some tensions is an understatement!

I had a boss who was quite annoyed about that.

He left London Transport for about a year and then rejoined and lost PRIV.

Goldfish62

Established Member
I had a boss who was quite annoyed about that.

He left London Transport for about a year and then rejoined and lost PRIV.
I had a priv when at LT. My part of the organisation was privatised and I retained my priv in the private sector. When I returned to LT I lost it. :(

pitdiver

I worked for LUL/TfL for a total of 16 years 1999-2005. In 2005 I was offered voluntary severance, which I took. Included in my package was the option of either a free LT pass or a All Rail Priv for me and my wife. As I don't live in London I naturally chose the All Rail Retired PTAC. In addition I have an Oyster PAYG with priv rate and so does my wife. These are only used when we travel on the Underground.
Always happy to queue for a 75% discount.

Goldfish62

Established Member
I worked for LUL/TfL for a total of 16 years 1999-2005. In 2005 I was offered voluntary severance, which I took. Included in my package was the option of either a free LT pass or a All Rail Priv for me and my wife. As I don't live in London I naturally chose the All Rail Retired PTAC. In addition I have an Oyster PAYG with priv rate and so does my wife. These are only used when we travel on the Underground.
As I would be. Of all my friends who have privs not one have I heard ever grumbling about having to queue. It's quite incredible that some people have the cheek to complain about this aspect of an otherwise superb perk.

theironroad

Established Member

That's almost worth taking the redundancy for, though understand not every one might agree.

What would happen if you started work for tfl or a national railway company again?

pitdiver

That's almost worth taking the redundancy for, though understand not every one might agree.

What would happen if you started work for tfl or a national railway company again?
I don't know as I have no intention of doing that as I am reaching my 68th Birthday.
The funny thing was when I left I ws not allowed to apply for a job with any organisation that was anything to do with a local authority or government department. Including such quangos as the White Fish Authority or the Forestry Commission.

Haywain

Veteran Member
I worked for LUL/TfL for a total of 16 years 1999-2005.
Would it be correct to assume that the 16 years commenced in 1989, rather than 1999 as stated? As you would have been safeguarded staff that makes a difference to what you get, even in retirement. When I retired after 17 years at a TOC a couple of years ago I only received some free travel with that TOC for the duration of the franchise, and no discounts elsewhere - because of being a so-called new entrant.

pitdiver

Would it be correct to assume that the 16 years commenced in 1989, rather than 1999 as stated? As you would have been safeguarded staff that makes a difference to what you get, even in retirement. When I retired after 17 years at a TOC a couple of years ago I only received some free travel with that TOC for the duration of the franchise, and no discounts elsewhere - because of being a so-called new entrant.

Quite right many apologies !989-1999 LUL. Then 1999-2005 London Transport Museum

Status
Not open for further replies.