• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Priv discount on Virgin advance fares

Status
Not open for further replies.

handsomelife

Can you get a priv discount on advance fares? At a ticket office yesterday the clerk was baffled because he told me his journey planner was giving a Priv discount on Virgin advance fares. Apparently there isn't usually a priv discount on advance tickets but he sold it to me and told me "if it's on the system then it's legit"

I'm not so sure and don't want to get into trouble on the train so does anyone have a link to where it says this is allowed?

The journey is Euston to Edinburgh, changing at Carlisle, route on the ticket is 'Virgin trains only'

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Some 'BAO' and 'BBO' Advance fares are showing in Fastis as allowing a Priv discount, but, as far as I am aware, this is an error and Priv discounts should not be given on these fares (clerks should know this and not offer the fare, but this is what happens when people rely on computers to do the job).

As for what would happen on board, the FRPP isn't very helpful there, so perhaps a guard should comment on that.

Ferret

Established Member
Some 'BAO' and 'BBO' Advance fares are showing in Fastis as allowing a Priv discount, but, as far as I am aware, this is an error and Priv discounts should not be given on these fares (clerks should know this and not offer the fare, but this is what happens when people rely on computers to do the job).

As for what would happen on board, the FRPP isn't very helpful there, so perhaps a guard should comment on that.

Well, if the Guard wishes to do things properly, then it'll be withdraw the ticket, issue a free zerofare excess and then complete a TIR as it is an issuing error by the booking office concerned. There should be no penalty to the customer...

swadbus

Can you get a priv discount on advance fares? At a ticket office yesterday the clerk was baffled because he told me his journey planner was giving a Priv discount on Virgin advance fares. Apparently there isn't usually a priv discount on advance tickets but he sold it to me and told me "if it's on the system then it's legit"

I'm not so sure and don't want to get into trouble on the train so does anyone have a link to where it says this is allowed?

The journey is Euston to Edinburgh, changing at Carlisle, route on the ticket is 'Virgin trains only'

Thanks

Advance fares shouldn't be available using PRIV. But certainly "virgin trains only" fares are available, and operator specific fares are often cheaper than the any permitted. One I regularly use is Euston to Milton Keynes Central, particularly when splitting.

Johnny Lewis

There are set fares for staff using both Sleeper services, which are 75% discount on the single fare, inclusive of berth. They are not technically Advance fares, but, as availability of berths for staff can be limited (in some cases to as few as 2 per train), it is safer to buy them in advance!

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
All Priv holders should know it's valid only on the full Anytime fare and not on Advances. If the fare was sold, I'd expect the ticket to be withdrawn by a guard or RPI and a TIR completed (along with a free excess allowing the customer to complete the journey!).

I'd also expect whoever sold the ticket to be spoken to.... ;)

Established Member
There's quite a few fares where PRIV has accidentally been allowed when it shouldn't, but also many other places where it is supposed to be there but infact hasn't been set up.

Status
Not open for further replies.