priv discount to be allowed on off peak tickets

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by NLC1072, 6 Jun 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NLC1072

NLC1072 Member

From September... Over to you!

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. Anvil1984

Anvil1984 Established Member

Interesting.... where has this been announced??

4. NLC1072

NLC1072 Member

An ATOC fares retail forum meeting - it should be published shortly but as far as im aware it has not been yet published.

5. Haywain

Haywain Established Member

Hooray! A real bonus for those of us who are "new entrants".

6. ANorthernGuard

ANorthernGuard Established Member

About time. Its a ridiculous situation where when you can get 75 percent discount and advanced fares are cheaper

7. gordonthemoron

gordonthemoron Established Member

this was even the case under British Rail

8. ANorthernGuard

Difference being employees had boxes to use

9. SPADTrap

SPADTrap Established Member

*checks date*

:D

10. Sleepy

Sleepy Member

Is this so Anytime fares can be abolished on flows where saver valid all day ?

11. DeparturesBeck

DeparturesBeck Member

Anytime has different terms (such as break of journey on both legs) so would need to stay.

12. NLC1072

NLC1072 Member

Fares like Euston to Manchester Piccadilly return on priv discount are £80.25, it'll be £19.90 from September, finally I can actually enjoy my priv discount properly!

Speaking of which, will virgins relaxation of peak time restrictions apply with this discount?

Last edited: 6 Jun 2014
  13. Aictos

Aictos On Moderation

If you don't mind me asking when is it likely to be announced officially?

14. All Line Rover

All Line Rover Established Member

A PRIV is not a railcard. So I doubt it.

15. Greenback

Greenback Emeritus Moderator

This is good news. The PRIV discount has become increasingly irrelevant, and this development may see an increase in revenue from rail staff using their PRIV's

16. Lad Brookes

Lad Brookes Member

It's supposedly a one year trial at first- presumably in case it causes huge amounts of unforeseen abstraction.
    I imagine it must have been costed and shown to be (at worst) revenue-neutral to the industry to have been approved by the various groups, scheme councils and boards at ATOC.

17. Polarbear

Polarbear Established Member

Whilst I don't work for the railway, I have friends that do & I've been aware for some time that the value of Priv has been eroded massively due to the large increases in Anytime fares over the last 10 years or so.

As mentioned earlier, it's currently often cheaper to buy an advance single for some journeys than use Priv - especially on the likes of East Coast & Virgin.

If you're going to have a benefit for working on the railway (with shift work/responsibility etc), it may as well be a benefit worth having...;)

18. tony6499

tony6499 Member

It has always been the way with Privs that the 1/4 rate discount wasn't really worth that much, it was the free tickets then the boxes that is the value.

19. RJ

RJ Established Member

Good news :)

20. hairyhandedfool

hairyhandedfool Established Member

It's worse than that (he's dead Jim....:oops:), on some flows the Off-Peak tickets (without Railcard discounts) are cheaper than Priv discounted tickets.

Aside from some 'Break of Journey' restrictions, I imagine the Anytime tickets will be kept as a way of making money when people do not buy tickets before boarding the train (where facilities exist), just as they are now. Priv was never a reason for keeping them (some flows don't have Anytime (Day) Returns now!)

It may have to come through the TOC's Personnel/Revenue departments, otherwise it is likely to be when iKB gets updated (sometime around August 2020 probably)......

21. BEF7439

BEF7439 Member

Any idea whether this will also apply to super off-peak? (Hey, I can dream!). Either way this is fantastic news.

22. Bodiddly

Bodiddly Member

Rail travel should be free throughout for ALL staff! I do the same job as my colleague , the only difference being I am post privatisation he is pre. And to continue my moan, his pension is better than mine as well!

23. fireftrm

fireftrm Member

Allowing Priv for 1st class would be good

24. greatkingrat

greatkingrat Established Member

It would be good if they could make Priv tickets able to be purchased online via TOD. There could be a system where you have to enter your card number if they are worried about people buying tickets they are not entitled to.

25. MichaelAMW

MichaelAMW Member

I disagree. Personally, I think that point is irrelevant as Advance fares are clearly very cheap at times, and still available to staff, and they have very tight restrictions. Not that I disagree with others who have pointed out that grossly inflates Anytime fares for some journeys render the priv discount apparently not much of a bargain. That said, it's still a quarter of what a punter who rolled up in the peak would pay... just not what said punter would maybe pay at other times. There's no rational reason for offering any discount at all to staff - I say this as someone who has previously enjoyed the facility - so any concession is a good thing. I should stress, to maybe avoid any harsh response, that this change seems to be a Good Thing - given that travel perks *are* offered they should be priced sensibly, e.g. travel from London to Manchester on a Sunday morning shouldn't definitely not be priced in a way that is ultimately based on the market forces that apply from Manchester to London on a Monday morning.

26. Lrd

Lrd Established Member

I can see my rail miles picking up a fair bit from September :)

27. DarloRich

DarloRich Veteran Member

Work - Fenny Stratford(MK) Home - Darlington
    perhaps the next stage will be the opening of such discounts to ALL members of the railway family

28. Frontera2

Frontera2 Member

Being very controversial - I have to say I don't agree with you.

When you joined the railway, you knew the terms, conditions and benefits that applied to the role therefore I dont see what you have to complain about. The fact that other employees get free travel because longer service is irrelevant.

If I was to join BA now, my travel perks would not be as advantageous as those who have been there for years - would I have a right to complain? I think not.

Some people get free travel, some don't. Get over it.

Last edited: 7 Jun 2014
  29. ANorthernGuard

Many of us get free travel even though we are non safeguarded. Its called asking the guard. I NEVER charge staff and never will. Its called looking after your colleagues. I appreciate in many lines of employment you don't get that but it still exists quite broadly on the railway! And long may that respect continue.

30. Aictos

Aictos On Moderation

Rightly said, even if I didn't get charged by the guard on what service I'm using as my way of repaying the favour I'm always more then happy to help them if asked after all we're all family ain't we?

I've done this twice before both on East Coast and both in Huntingdon area!

PS looks like 3rd September ;)

Last edited by a moderator: 7 Jun 2014
  31. Frontera2

Frontera2 Member

I agree with you absolutely - this is the way forward

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.