• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Priv discounts on Rovers/Rangers

Status
Not open for further replies.

scrapy

Established Member
I am aware that certain Rovers and Rangers are eligable for a Priv discount, including All Line Rovers and Cheshire Day Rangers. There is no mention of which can be discounted on the Atoc staff travel website either and Priv information generally isn't stated on TOC's public websites. Is there anywhere I can find out which can be discounted?

Can the West Midlands day ranger be discounted?(the one which stretches from Crewe to Northampton, not the WM County one), The advantix machine allows it, but does this mean it's valid??

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ashworth

Established Member
Is there any Priv Discount available on a One Day Travelcard in London.
Not with an Oyster Card but the paper ticket version as sold at Mainline Stations.

0B00

There is a TFL RAIL ONLY 1 day travelcard priced at £2:00. As the title of the ticket suggests, it is not valid on buses !

I have only ever been able to get it at tube ticket office or at Kensington Olympia.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Priv Travelcard is only for Safeguarded or TfL staff. It isn't valid on buses but I only found this out about a year ago when I got Priv entitlement added to Oyster and asked why I'd been charged 90p for a bus journey. I had used it on buses since I was aged 5 and had never been stopped or questioned.

Just as an asside, Eurostar and FCC staff both recieve 75% rate on Oyster regardless of their Safeguarded/TOCNE status.

ashworth

Established Member
Thanks. No problem
It was for my mother who is retired and so can get free on the buses anyway.
It's only for one day and so it may be easier for her just to get a full price one day travelcard if she wants to use the tube quite a lot during the day.
It's not that expensive for just zones 1 and 2

dk1

Veteran Member
Find it hard to understand why anybody would not want an Oyster card whether priv or not. They make travelling around London & the suburbs so simple.

Daniel

Established Member
Just as an asside, Eurostar and FCC staff both recieve 75% rate on Oyster regardless of their Safeguarded/TOCNE status.

I believe thats because they both have special arragnements for discounts for LU staff.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Find it hard to understand why anybody would not want an Oyster card whether priv or not. They make travelling around London & the suburbs so simple.
Technical problems leading to overcharging, lack of National Rail stations selling them, prior to this month their validity on National Rail was limited and I'm sure there's more!

SWT Driver

I dread using my Priv Oyster card.

Last time I used it to visit ATOC to get my FIP card updated it charged me £8, despite the fact that I'd touched in & out correctly, a fact that two different hand scanners proved, so when I challenged it at the booking office & with all the information to back it up, I got a refund of £10! :)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It seems to be a tax on people who either lack the intelligence/confidence to challenge them when they overcharge you, or people who do not have the time.

I avoid Oyster when it is practicable to do so, but I do have an Oyster card which I use very occasionally.

dk1

Veteran Member
Had my priv Oyster several years now. only problem ive ever had was in the second year when i overlooked updating them before 30th June with new 'BR boxes'. Apart from that i do occasionally check journeys on line afterwards & unless i didnt bother to touch out (my fault) & then its only £1 then it has been fine. the fact that you no longer queue & queue at ticket offices or fiddle about for change on buses makes Oyster so convenient for me. Somebody once said to me that Big Brother is watching your wherabouts the whole time, well all i can say is that i have nothing to hide & just hope he finds my Euston-Waterloo or Baker St to Elephant & Castle of interest!!

Established Member
There will probably be a time in the near future where all journeys will be made using Oyster-type cards and there will be no (or very little) ticket machines and booking offices.

One good thing should be that exact numbers of people using stations and other useful data will be easily available. Hopefully this will mean that routes with greatest demand (or routes with variable/changing demand) will become apparent and more investment will be made accordingly.

But knowing the world as it is this will be a long time in the making.

First class

Established Member
A couple of questions regarding the Cheshire Day Ranger

1. How much is this ticket?

2. Is there a map available of exactly where this ticket is valid?

£16 Full Fare

or £4 PRIV

cheshiredayranger.png

Valid after 0845 Monday-Friday, any time on Weekends/Bank Holidays.

0B00

Where can one go on the Cheshire Day Ranger though ? The above map differs from the leaflet (leaflet includes Whitchurch and Hadfiled / Glossop for example). The current staff manual has no mention of Hadfiled / Glossop but still includes Whitchurch ?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Where can one go on the Cheshire Day Ranger though ? The above map differs from the leaflet (leaflet includes Whitchurch and Hadfiled / Glossop for example). The current staff manual has no mention of Hadfiled / Glossop but still includes Whitchurch ?
Originally posted by John @ Home here, I think this applies:-

The Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999
Written contracts
7. - (1) A seller or supplier shall ensure that any written term of a contract is expressed in plain, intelligible language.
(2) If there is doubt about the meaning of a written term, the interpretation which is most favourable to the consumer shall prevail but this rule shall not apply in proceedings brought under regulation 12.
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si1999/19992083.htm

Regulation 12 is about injunctions to prevent continued use of unfair terms.

John @ home

Established Member
I don't think we can rely on the leaflet because that states "2009 version" on the front page. The pdf version of it has now been withdrawn from the Northern web site.

The definitive map available to the public is here. That includes Hatfield, Glossop and Whitchurch. The map which was on the National Rail site until it was "improved" (by losing all its maps) is here. That's not an official railway source. In the absence of the National Rail site's maps, it has been placed online by the map's producer. But I can see no significant difference from Northern's version. This thread on uk.railway may also be of interest.

If there is a discrepancy with the version in a staff manual, then the legislation quoted by yorkie should apply.

Status
Not open for further replies.