Priv Oyster discount

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by diego1234, 25 Mar 2020 at 07:23.

1. diego1234

diego1234 Member

Hi,

I'd be grateful if someone could confirm the following:

I'm a non-safeguarded employee.
    If I was to travel from Purley in Croydon - Zone 6 to London Victoria (or another London NR station), can I get the 'NR only' discount set on my oyster which would take 75% off the total fare? Obviously understand I'd be paying full fare on any TFl services (eg tube etc).

Many Thanks

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. Mojo

Mojo Forum Staff Staff Member Administrator

4. Surreytraveller

Surreytraveller Established Member

There are three types of Priv discount for Oystercard:
    All rail (TfL & National Rail)
    TfL only (TfL Rail, Underground, DLR, Overground)
    National Rail only (TfL Rail, Overground and TOCs)

Despite TfL's pretence, TfL Rail and London Overground are part of the National Rail Network, and PRIVS are valid on them

5. diego1234

diego1234 Member

Thanks, I'd need the National Rail only loaded onto my Oyster then as not entitled to the other discounts I believe.

Therefore my journey from Zone 6 (from a National Rail Station, eg Purley, Croydon to a Zone 1 London Station (National Rail) would be charged at 75% off the standard fare?

6. Surreytraveller

You'd be charged 75% off the Oyster fare. You can still get 75% off the standard fare from the ticket office

7. Haywain

Haywain Established Member

And this has an advantage over buying paper tickets in that there doesn't seem to be a restriction on using Priv-discounted Oyster for residential purposes.

8. Surreytraveller

Is that right? I haven't read anything stating that Oystercard discounted tickets are exempt from the rules

9. matt_world2004

matt_world2004 Established Member

The gtr privs can be used for residential travel on TfL services but they can't for non TfL national rail ones.

10. Surreytraveller

That's not complicated . What if I have both Safeguarded and a GTR Priv?

11. matt_world2004

You have to have them on different oyster cards

12. Surreytraveller

Is it not the same discount added? Didn't realise there was a fourth type of PRIV discount!

13. Haywain

I’m not certain but I can’t recall seeing anything to say they can’t be used for residential purposes.

14. Surreytraveller

But surely an Oystercard is just the medium the ticket is held on, as opposed to cardboard, rather than having a different validity?

15. matt_world2004

No the gtr priv is TfL only.

16. Surreytraveller

But the All Rail one includes TfL. So does that mean if you use an All Rail discount on TfL only whilst using the GTR pass as the supporting document, it is acceptable to use for residential purposes?
    If so (or not), is a gateline or RPO member of staff likely to pick up on it?

17. matt_world2004

You can use the all rail one for leisure travel
    You can use the TfL rail only one for both leisure and residential travel

18. diego1234

diego1234 Member

Ok, thanks,so I just need to take my Oyster card to one of the listed stations for this discount to be added?
    I work for GWR, based at Paddington but assume this doesn't matter with regards to adding the discount. As stated I know I'm not entitled to any concessionary travel on TFl services..Just want to use the discount for travelling on mainly GTR services.

19. father_jack

father_jack Member

To make it easy to understand, non safeguarded do not get anything on the TUBE. As @Surreytraveller says TfL muddy the waters by saying it's not valid on "TfL" when it does apply on TfL rail and London Overground heavy rail.

20. diego1234

diego1234 Member

Yep, understand I get nothing on the tube.
    Just intend to use my Oyster with the priv discount for NR heavy rail use only. Prob mostly on Southern between Purley & Victoria

21. father_jack

father_jack Member

But @Surreytraveller you can't use priv tickets (excepting priv season) travelling to work, be they paper or oyster. The OP @diego1234 seems to live in Purley, works at Paddington and uses GTR to go from Purley to Victoria. Can one of the fares advisors give a final adjudication on this particular query as it has got very mixed up ? @Starmill @CyrusWuff

22. father_jack

father_jack Member

See above. I don't think you'll be vaild unless you get a priv season Purley to Victoria which is £195.10 minus 75%= £48,75 a month. You'd have to get a form stamped by GWR HR dept. Normal priv tickets can't be used going to work.

23. Mojo

You wouldn’t have/need both. If you are Safeguarded then you already get Priv rate Pay As You Go fares on Oyster on both National Rail and LU/DLR and can have the discount flag applied to your Oyster card.

The purpose of the yellow GTR (and LNER/Eurostar for that matter) privilege ticket authority card is for eligible non-Safeguarded staff to have a discount on LU/DLR journeys. This is part of a reciprocal deal with GTR (and LNER/Eurostar) that allows non-Safeguarded (and all in the case of Eurostar) TfL and LUL staff to have discounts on these operators.

24. diego1234

diego1234 Member

Ah right ok thanks.

As I need to get to Paddington during unsociable times e.g very early morning, I think my only option is to go to St.Pancras as nothing runs into Victoria during the night.

Is it possible then to get a priv season to 'London Terminals' providing this DOESN'T include any TFL travel?

25. Haywain

Specifically, it allows TfL staff to get priv rate season tickets, not general travel. LNER staff have (or had, last time I checked) the discount applied to a standard Oyster card, and it is restricted to the member of staff only if they live (and, I think, work) in Greater London.

26. father_jack

father_jack Member

Yes. Victoria, Blackfriars, City Thameslink, Farringdon, St Pancras, London Bridge are all "London terminals" from Purley. Actually Waterloo changing at Clapham Junction would be too.

27. father_jack

father_jack Member

28. Haywain

St Pancras is not a London Terminals station from Purley, and Farringdon is not a London Terminals station from anywhere. If the OP wants to go to St Pancras he will need a ticket to London Thameslink, but it is questionable whether this provides validity at Victoria and Waterloo.

29. diego1234

diego1234 Member

This is more complicated then I thought!

Thx for helping though!

Essentially I'll be travelling from to & from Purley (zone 6) to Paddington (zone 1) & want to do this the cheapest way I can. I need to get to work as early as 3am & having done some research, will need to go via St.Pancras. Any other time during 'sociable hours' I can go into Victoria or London Bridge.

As stated earlier I'm not safeguarded.

If someone could enlighten me as to the simplist way of doing this it would be hugely appreciated as I'm a little confused now!

Many Thanks

30. father_jack

father_jack Member

National rail season calculator said-
    Just another thing to add to the mix of priv validity, operator validity etc etc :smile:. Tagged in some moderators in an earlier post who hopefully be able to give a definitive response to the OP.

31. Mojo

Don’t believe I said anything to the contrary. All the information he needs I provided, I was purely replying to Surreytraveller.