• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Priv Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gizmogle

Established Member
No, you can't do a PRIV ticket from somewhere to zones. I asked once. Cause it's not NR and TfL has different arrangements and stuff.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
can someone confirm for certain if PRIV discounts are available on Freedom of Scotland rovers? martyn29 tried to get one and was told not, but someone else claims you can?

Gizmogle

Established Member
Hmmm...I'm not sure about that one, but I know that you can't get a PRIV discount on all rangers and rovers.

dan_atki

Established Member
Yes well the funny thing is under NFM96-99 it would appear PRIV discounts are NOT valid on a FOSS rover, yet it [the £10 PRIV 3 in 7 FOSS] still appeared on STAR when I enquired about it...

By still appeared, I mean on the list of valid tickets that can be printed relating to a 3 in 7 FOSS (i.e. all the different adult and child versions with discounts that were allowed) it said 'Adult PRIV 3 in 7 FOSS £10.00'

Big Phil

Probably been answered in this thread somewhere but how long does a box last?

Could you get away with using one box for a journey going Friday evening coming back Monday morning?
I'm asking on behalf of my daughter who will have priv boxes and will want to use them coming back at weekends from university.

Established Member

Could you get away with using one box for a journey going Friday evening coming back Monday morning?
I'm asking on behalf of my daughter who will have priv boxes and will want to use them coming back at weekends from university.

If you fill a box in on the Friday it will be valid Fri and Sat although I think there is something for when you travel on sleepers by where if you get on say the 2300 EUS-EDB on a Friday night you can enter saturdays date and it covers you (after 10 O'clock I think it is)???

glynn80

Established Member

Do dependants still keep their boxes after they leave school/college I didn't think university living counted as still being a dependant?

dan_atki

Established Member
ATOC RST said:
Dependent unmarried children of employees are also granted travel
facilities subject to certain conditions, which include:
· they are either living with the employee or temporarily resident away
from home for school or advanced education purposes
· they are under age 25 years and earning below a set scale
· they are permanent invalids, irrespective of age, who have never been
able to follow any employment and are eligible for state benefits.

It is regardless of whether or not the staff member is safeguarded or TOCNE (or even retired ex-BR staff for that matter) the restrictions for a dependant child are all the same.

Current threshold for gross weekly earnings is £112.85.

Craig

Established Member
Do dependants still keep their boxes after they leave school/college I didn't think university living counted as still being a dependant?
Yes provided they're under 25, living at home and earning under a certain amount per week IIRC.

boxes last for 48 hours from the date entered in them

I thought it was 50 hours (22:00 the previous night to 23:59 the next day)?

Gizmogle

Established Member
Question.

I was recently told that on Northern and Merseyrail you don't need to date a box anymore.

True?

dan_atki

Established Member
Question.

I was recently told that on Northern and Merseyrail you don't need to date a box anymore.

True?

Nope, although there is an arrangement for active safeguarded staff to get free residential travel without the need to date a box. Within the NSE area (as shown on a London Connections map roughly speaking) there is a 40 mile limit to the free journey. Outside of this area the entitlement is only 8 miles.

Gizmogle

Established Member
Ah. So, I live in Buxton and have a BR priv. My Dad is active safeguarded staff. Do I get this residential travel thing?

glynn80

Established Member
Nope, although there is an arrangement for active safeguarded staff to get free residential travel without the need to date a box. Within the NSE area (as shown on a London Connections map roughly speaking) there is a 40 mile limit to the free journey. Outside of this area the entitlement is only 8 miles.

Are you sure about this, not everyone has residential passes and I'm pretty sure you can't just use it like you say, it has to be from your home to work and normally that has to be predesignated. Anyone care to enlighten us?

dan_atki

Established Member
Are you sure about this, not everyone has residential passes and I'm pretty sure you can't just use it like you say, it has to be from your home to work and normally that has to be predesignated. Anyone care to enlighten us?

It is in the ATOC rules for RST and an arrangement that applies only to active safeguarded staff who are using their pass to travel to home/work so they don't have to date a box. Obviously, the quota of boxes is far less than the number of days worked in a year so has to exist. TOCNE is a different system.

Home to work is what residential travel is ;) and that is why it is only for active safeguarded staff (sorry Gizzy).

Gizmogle

Established Member
Ah. I was just wondering. Maybe this is what my Dad mistook the whole undated boxes on Northern thing for?

bluenoxid

Established Member
If you have a Northern Rail Priv card (through working for Northern Rail), you will get free travel on Northern and Merseyrail. Everyone else has to pay.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
As one of those who this applies to, yes we do up to the restrictions stated

First class

Established Member
Merseyrail do not need to date when travelling on Northern, and Northern do not need to date when travelling on Merseyrail. That is because they share the same parent company, SedNerco Railways. Any other PRIV is required to be dated.

Gizmogle

Established Member
Merseyrail do not need to date when travelling on Northern, and Northern do not need to date when travelling on Merseyrail. That is because they share the same parent company, SedNerco Railways. Any other PRIV is required to be dated.

But that's only if you have a TOC specific priv. Not just a BR priv.

Status
Not open for further replies.