• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Priv Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gizmogle

Established Member
Stupid priv.

...I joke, I joke.

*Waits for avalanche of angry forum members*

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

T

Tom

Well your priv is only a standard class one, no? ;)

EDIT:

You can actually upgrade a PRIV SOR though to first class by paying full fare 1ST upgrade.

Gizmogle

Established Member
It is indeed.
But I could still get discounted first class tickets, right? I just can't go sit in first class for free.
So I just wondered whether I could pay a priv discount for the upgrade. Not that it matters, as I'm happy with standard :)

T

Tom

Technically speaking, at weekends SORs are valid in FC anyway on Virgin... not sure whether it matters what discount you have on it mind.

andel

Standard Privs only get standard pricing... I have about 3 different discount cards for myself to ensure I get money off just about everything going!

Gizmogle

Established Member
Really? So I couldn't buy a FOR or something similar at priv rate?

Gizmogle

Established Member
Wow, now that's something I didn't know.
How exactly would you have got a FC priv back in the day then?

andel

Technically speaking, at weekends SORs are valid in FC anyway on Virgin... not sure whether it matters what discount you have on it mind.

SOR in FC on weekends is at the TM's discretion only...

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
My Mum wasn't a high manager, but we still get a 1st class Priv (no free travel though.)

You can't use discounted SOR in 1st at weekends on Virgin.

andel

My Mum wasn't a high manager, but we still get a 1st class Priv (no free travel though.)

disabled railcard excluded, i believe...

Gizmogle

Established Member

I thought that 1st class privs were just like the standard ones with free travel, but you could go and sit in first class instead of standard class?

T

Tom

A priv and boxes are different. You can get a priv without the boxes - but you need a priv to have the boxes. ;)

W14Fishbourne

To clarify for those entitled to privs or thinking of working for the railway and to make the rest of you jealous:

In all cases priv travel is subject to the latest set of restrictions which are published on the ATOC Rail Staff Travel website and in Rail News.

Anyone who worked for the railway before 1 April 1996 is termed "safeguarded" and, broadly speaking, is entitled to privilege travel across the whole franchised rail network as a right. This priv travel comes in two forms.

One is what are termed the "boxes" on the Staff Travel Card. Each box has to be dated before use and is valid for that day and the day after. The number of boxes allowed each year depends on (a) your grade and (b) your length of service. The maximum is 20, giving up to 40 days free travel a year. Partners of employees get the same number of boxes.

Safeguarded staff can also use the Staff Travel Card to obtain tickets at 25% of the normal cost of an SDR or SOR anywhere on the franchised network or on LU for leisure journeys only.

Safeguarded staff (but not partners) can also obtain discounted season tickets for travel to work. There are also travel benefits for dependants.

Staff Travel Cards are normally Standard Class only but First Class cards may be issued to senior managers and their partners. Only holders of First Class STCs can buy First Class tickets or travel for free in First Class but holders of Standard Class STCs can usually pay the Weekend First supplement (or similar) to upgrade. Standard Class tickets cannot otherwise be upgraded to First.

Safeguarded staff graded at MS4 or above (senior managers, usually those who report to a director) may be entitled to All Stations National Rail "Status" Pass for themselves (and, if their salary is above a specified level, for their partners). This entitles them to unlimited free First Class travel anywhere on the franchised network for leisure journeys or for travel to work. (There used to be Standard Class versions and Regional versions but I don't think they're issued any more.) There's a limit to the number of Status Passes that a TOC can issue - once they've all been issued a newly-promoted employee has to wait until a pensioner dies off or someone resigns. Status passes come in Silver and Gold versions, the only difference being that Gold Passes (normally issued to directors) include free Sleeper berths.

Safeguarded staff normally retain their travel privileges on retirement.

Anyone who joined the railway on or after 1 April 1996 is not entitled to priv travel as a right. However, a concessionary scheme for TOC New Entrants (TOCNE) has been operated since privatisation but could be withdrawn at any time. This gives quarter-rate travel on most franchised services (the major current exception being Strathclyde area services). Staff graded MS4 or above may buy discounted First Class tickets.

TOCNE do not keep their travel privileges on retirement.

All TOCs except First ScotRail participate in the Reduced Rate Season Ticket arrangement, which enables TOCNE staff of participating TOCs to purchase Reduced Rate Season Tickets at a 75% discount over the price of full fare Season Tickets for travel to work.

On top of this, most TOCs allow some degree of free travel to their staff on their own services. The precise nature of the arrangement varies between TOCs and will change when franchises change. Some allow unlimited free travel on its services, others operate a box arrangement giving limited free travel. Some TOCs restrict free travel to its own services, others allow it on other TOCs in the same owning group.

TOC free passes come in both Standard and First Class versions and many TOCs allow First Class to staff at a lower grade than applies under the ATOC safeguarded staff scheme - some TOCs also give First Class passes to long-serving staff. This means that someone may be entitled to First Class travel on his or her own TOC's services but Standard Class on all other TOCs.

Staff do not normally keep their TOC free passes on retirement though the unions have been trying to win this concession.

On top of these benefits there are also discounts on a range of heritage railways and on foreign railways for all staff.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Surely you should be asking your employer that question

westcoaster

Established Member
matryn dont forget that mml are about to undergo a big change im not suprissed everything is up in the air if you ask me i think you will get it when the new franchise will start.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
FlyingCucumber, a FirstGroup employee also agrees with what I posted earlier about tickets - rather than boxes - being valid: http://www.railchat.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12323&p=193022#p193022

Although I accept that may be wrong, I do believe that if you were to purchase a priv-rate SOR then it would be accepted on the sleeper.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
SOR in FC on weekends is at the TM's discretion only...
No it isn't.

http://www.virgintrains.co.uk/buy_tickets/first_class_upgrade/default.aspx

"On weekends and Bank Holidays, you can upgrade to First Class free of charge if you hold a Standard Open or Business Saver ticket by informing the Train Manager."

That's "informing", not "asking", and they can't charge for something that is advertised as being free of charge!

Did you see someone get refused? Perhaps the TM was Gordon - he had a reputation for making rules up as he went along.

W14Fishbourne

FlyingCucumber, a FirstGroup employee also agrees with what I posted earlier about tickets - rather than boxes - being valid: http://www.railchat.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12323&p=193022#p193022

Although I accept that may be wrong, I do believe that if you were to purchase a priv-rate SOR then it would be accepted on the sleeper.

Sorry, you're wrong. Read your Staff Travel Restrictions:

First ScotRail
From To Days Dates Barred Facilities
Sleeper Services – Monday to Friday
Edinburgh Euston )
Glasgow Euston )
Aberdeen Euston )
Inverness Euston )
Fort William Euston ) Mon-Fri 21.05.07 – 07.12.07 AE (See note)
Euston Edinburgh )
Euston Glasgow )
Euston Aberdeen )
Euston Inverness )
Euston Fort William )
Sleeper Services – Sunday
Edinburgh Euston )
Glasgow Euston )
Aberdeen Euston )
Inverness Euston )
Fort William Euston ) Sun 20.05.07 - 02.12.07 AE (See note)
Euston Edinburgh )
Euston Glasgow )
Euston Aberdeen )
Euston Inverness )
Euston Fort William )
Note: Restrictions on these overnight services apply to seated accommodation only.

A means "All First Class National Rail free and privilege travel facilities (including privilege season tickets) barred"
E means "All Standard National Rail free and privilege travel facilities (including privilege season tickets) barred"

In other words you cannot use Privs, free or quarter rate, in Sleeper seated accommodation but you can use them in berths, subject to payment for the berth (if applicable).

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Sorry, you're wrong.
There's no need to go round in circles again - I already stated that I accept it may be wrong, but it is true to state that such tickets are extremely likely to be accepted, and First staff state such tickets have been accepted.

I posted what my experiences are (and no, I'm not staff so I personally have not held a priv ticket) based on what other passengers were doing when I used the sleeper fairly regularly, and also based on what people have said. That doesn't mean it's valid, it does mean it's accepted. Not always the same thing, and indeed sometimes guards claim valid tickets are invalid.

W14Fishbourne

There's no need to go round in circles again - I already stated that I accept it may be wrong, but it is true to state that such tickets are extremely likely to be accepted, and First staff state such tickets have been accepted.

I posted what my experiences are (and no, I'm not staff so I personally have not held a priv ticket) based on what other passengers were doing when I used the sleeper fairly regularly, and also based on what people have said. That doesn't mean it's valid, it does mean it's accepted. Not always the same thing, and indeed sometimes guards claim valid tickets are invalid.

So you'd suggest that someone should try travelling in seated accommodation with a priv pass/ticket with the risk that they'll be surcharged up to the full open fare? As you say, some staff may accept them. On the other hand, some may not!

Gizmogle

Established Member
Another priv question :D

How much do I have to pay for the Eurostar to France?
Standard and First prices please.

I seem to recall an offer last summer for priv holders where we only had to pay £12 for the journey. Does that come about much? Or was it just a one off?

T

Tom

Staff will be pleased to learn that an additional outlet has become available at which staff bookings on Eurostar services can be made. This is from Eurostar's Ashford Contact Centre who have offered to deal with both telephone and email booking requests.

Those making telephone applications should have either their International Reduced Rate Card number or Staff Travel Card number (as appropriate) near at hand to quote, together with their credit card details, and, of course, this same information should also be included with all email requests submitted.

The Ashford Contact Centre is open between 09.00 and 17.00 Monday – Friday and the contact details are:

Telephone number 08457 660421

Email address [email protected]

Please note that Ashford Contact Centre is able to deal with Eurostar bookings only i.e. London/Brussels/Paris/Marne-La-Vallee/Avignon/Ski trains (and intermediate stations). Also it can deal only with credit card transactions.

Craig

Established Member
According to ATOC you can phone/email Deutsche Bahn.

INTERNATIONAL PRIVILEGE TICKETS AND RESERVATIONS

From 1 October requests from active and retired staff for the purchase of International Privilege Tickets and Reservations should be directed to Deutsche Bahn UK whose address is:

IPTIS

Deutsche Bahn UK Booking Centre

PO Box 687A

SURBITON

Surrey KT6 6UB

The IPTIS form (RSTL 6544) used to obtain this service has been amended to reflect this change and copies of this can be downloaded by clicking here.

Also from the same day Deutsche Bahn UK will be able to deal with the telephone requests hitherto dealt with by Rail Europe for those products listed below. The phone number to call for this service is 08718 80 80 66*. (Alternatively requests can be made by fax on 08718 80 80 65* or by email to [email protected])

I'm not sure if you need to apply for an international priv for Eurostar or not though.

T

Tom

Think you can also contact Rail Europe - Karl will be able to help on that one...

Gizmogle

Established Member
:???: Right ho.

Is there not just a price then? You gotta ask about it?

Status
Not open for further replies.