• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Priv Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gizmogle

Established Member
Ah okay, what's the standard priv price? And how cheap can it get?

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Technically speaking, at weekends SORs are valid in FC anyway on Virgin... not sure whether it matters what discount you have on it mind.

No it isn't.

http://www.virgintrains.co.uk/buy_tickets/first_class_upgrade/default.aspx

"On weekends and Bank Holidays, you can upgrade to First Class free of charge if you hold a Standard Open or Business Saver ticket by informing the Train Manager."

That's "informing", not "asking", and they can't charge for something that is advertised as being free of charge!

Did you see someone get refused? Perhaps the TM was Gordon - he had a reputation for making rules up as he went along.

You lot only knew that, after I asked if a specific SOS was valid via a certain route, and mentioned that i would be using it on the Pendo in FC. :rasp:

I've always been confused every since members on here kept posting that r/c SOS's aren't valid with the free upgrade, and that they were 100% certain that this was the case. (I always felt strongly that it didn't matter if it was discounted, as long as it was a SOS/SOR)

T

Tom

You lot only knew that, after I asked if a specific SOS was valid via a certain route, and mentioned that i would be using it on the Pendo in FC. :rasp:

I've always been confused every since members on here kept posting that r/c SOS's aren't valid with the free upgrade, and that they were 100% certain that this was the case. (I always felt strongly that it didn't matter if it was discounted, as long as it was a SOS/SOR)
Not true.

I've done it many a time on VT from many years ago...

Gizmogle

Established Member
Was told the other day, that if an RPI catches me with my box undated, that they can take my priv away and charge me full fare for the journey. Is this true?

Gizmogle

Established Member
Really? Take it away from me? Until my next one?
No wonder I'm scared of RPIs!

T

Tom

Er - no.

It's more likely you'd have your priv rights taken away permanently....

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Harsh but fair I think!

As for the SOS upgrade thing, heart-of-wessex used a Y-P SOS on the last Bank Holiday Monday on FC upgrade thing. Another TM on a 390 earlier had advised us that all you get is the seat and no complimentary items. Fair enough. Just had to check with the TM on the train that there would be room. Hardly a problem on the 2210 to Bristol from Birmingham!

So yes, it's fine if it's got a RCD discount!

W14Fishbourne

Was told the other day, that if an RPI catches me with my box undated, that they can take my priv away and charge me full fare for the journey. Is this true?

It's not quite so draconian. The normal procedure is that the RPI (or any other ticket checking staff, for that matter) would cross out the next box and make you write the correct date in the following box. So, in effect, you lose one of you boxes. If crossing out a box means that you have none left then you would be charged the full fare as if you had no ticket.

An employee, partner or dependant using a Staff Travel Card for free rail travel purposes must complete a box on the card with the
appropriate date. If the person concerned travels with an undated
box the ticket examiner/inspector will cross out the next available
box as a penalty and request the Staff Travel Card holder to complete
the next box. If the card is wrongly dated the same procedure will be
followed. Alteration of dates already inserted is not permitted.

Other forms of misuse can be dealt with more harshly:

It should be noted specially that employees to whom travel facilities are issued for themselves and their families are responsible for their proper use. Such employees also have absolute discretion as to
whether they allow their dependants to enjoy these facilities. Any
person who is found to use improperly a travel document, transfers or
causes to be transferred such a document, or attempts to do so, will
be liable to prosecution, withdrawal of travel facilities and, if an
employee, to possible dismissal.

Tom C

If an RPI suspects misuse of PRIV or any other facility then it can be withdrawn. The RPI would generally make a statement and the statement along with the card would be submitted to the company who would take it further.

In the past I have known a TOCNE dependants pass to be taken off someone and the staff member and the dependant had their facilites withdrawn "indefinately".

The usual practice is to strike a box out and then put the date in the next box as mentioned but persistant misuse can lead to the above.

As for PRIV on the beds, well on Caledonian sleepers its not allowed but I am pretty sure it is valid on the Riveria. The First "boxes" are a bit of a mystery although I am confident that you are still bound by the restrictions on the ATOC website.

Gizmogle

Established Member
I am aware that they can strike off a box and date another, (as I've had it done to me :roll:) but I've been told by a TPE guard that RPIs can take my priv away from me and charge me for a ticket.

I'm actually now very scared of guards and RPIs!

Yes VXCFan, priv holders are asked not to take any complimentary items from first class.

Tom C

I'm actually now very scared of guards and RPIs!

Why would you be? Providing you fill in the date on the card then there will be no problem ;)

Most RPI's/Guards are not bothered about staff facilities but you have to remember that some are!

Gizmogle

Established Member
Well, 16 boxes isn't enough to get me through how much I travel, and I don't have the money to pay for my travel.

If I filled in a box every time I travelled, then I'd be stuffed.

Now I've had a box taken away from me, and been told by another guard that my priv can be confiscated, I'm rather worried!

I have 7 boxes until June.

I'm going to Ash Vale on Thursday, then travelling on Saturday, again on Sunday and again on either Monday or Tuesday.

That would be at least 3 gone in one long weekend away.

Tom C

Well, 16 boxes isn't enough to get me through how much I travel, and I don't have the money to pay for my travel.

Well the blunt answer is if you can't pay the fare then you don't travel sadly.

If you do just be aware of what could happen.

W14Fishbourne

If I filled in a box every time I travelled, then I'd be stuffed.

Now I've had a box taken away from me, and been told by another guard that my priv can be confiscated, I'm rather worried!

The fact that you've had one box taken away from you already will be obvious to anyone who catches you again using an undated card and wants to make an issue of it. They will almost certainly report you for persistent misuse, which is likely to mean that you will lose your privs permanently and possibly your father/mother too, because they are responsible for your use of a dependant's priv card.

It's not worth the risk. If you can't manage on 16 privs a year, think how awkward life would be with none! Or get your dad to earn a promotion so that he gets the full 20 boxes.

How about travelling to Ash Vale on Friday (the same box will do you for Saturday), and using another box for Sunday/Monday. One box saved.

cc: Woking area RPIs (see photograph above) ;)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Gizzy, I think you have two options.

1) Get a job (I recommend this option)

2) Only travel on 16 days per year

You may not like the idea of losing your priv, but if you use rovers and advance purchase tickets you will find the cost of rail travel isn't that expensive and if you get a job you will be able to afford to travel more than you can at the moment on your boxes.

W14Fishbourne

Gizzy, I think you have two options.

1) Get a job (I recommend this option)

2) Only travel on 16 days per year

You may not like the idea of losing your priv, but if you use rovers and advance purchase tickets you will find the cost of rail travel isn't that expensive and if you get a job you will be able to afford to travel more than you can at the moment on your boxes.

That's the trouble with you young people today. You have it far too easy. I've read about your sort in the Daily Mail. If you gave up smoking, binge drinking, and drug-crazed orgies you'd have money to spare for your train fares and have something left to put by towards your pension.

When I was a youngster I didn't have time to go riding on trains. After school I had to go scrounging on the coal tip for a bit of coal dust for the fire to stop the family from freezing to death during the night. When I started work I earned a shilling a week and from that I had to pay 3d a day bus fares and give my mum the rest towards my bed and lodgings. By the time I was 16 I'd fought in two world wars and been gassed in the trenches. You don't know how easy life is!

;);)

Mintona

Established Member
That's the trouble with you young people today. You have it far too easy. I've read about your sort in the Daily Mail. If you gave up smoking, binge drinking, and drug-crazed orgies you'd have money to spare for your train fares and have something left to put by towards your pension.

When I was a youngster I didn't have time to go riding on trains. After school I had to go scrounging on the coal tip for a bit of coal dust for the fire to stop the family from freezing to death during the night. When I started work I earned a shilling a week and from that I had to pay 3d a day bus fares and give my mum the rest towards my bed and lodgings. By the time I was 16 I'd fought in two world wars and been gassed in the trenches. You don't know how easy life is!

;);)

Blimey, you must be ancient! ;)

We're not all like that. I don't smoke or drink, and only go on the occasional drug-fuelled orgy ;)

Plus I have a job, and don't have time to go out and about on trains, except for at the school holidays. (Well, college, but still).

I do reccomend Gizzy does try to get a job though.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
If nothing else, get a Christmas temp job! Might not last forever and if you're wise you'll have saved enough money to tide you over for a few months of travel when reasonably budgeted.

Most of us don't have a priv, which we'd be VERY keen to have. I'd appreciate it and use it legitimately if I were you Gizmogle!

Gizmogle

Established Member
I don't want a job. End of. Besides, all the money I'm getting is going towards my MacBook anyway.

I'm definately gonna be more careful with my priv now though...and no more GNER either.

Fortunately, the big cross on my priv is hidden under the keychain thing in my wallet.

W14Fishbourne

I'm definately gonna be more careful with my priv now though...and no more GNER either.

Fortunately, the big cross on my priv is hidden under the keychain thing in my wallet.

Speaking seriously now, I really would be very careful. If you were to fall foul of the RPIs who operate Waterloo-Ash Vale, they will think that Christmas has come early. I worked with the guy who was their boss and I know how he trained them. I also regularly see them in action (and not just when I point out fare evaders to them). Mercy is not one of their strong points, indeed, they probably don't know the meaning of the word.

First of all they will hit you with a £20 penalty fare for not having a ticket. Next they will take your priv card out of its wallet to make sure it really is yours (signature on back) and so that they can examine it carefully for alterations to the dates. This will, of course, expose the previous big cross to view. Then they will do one of three things:

• they will take your card off you there and then
  • they will report you to your parent's TOC for misuse
  • they will MG11 you for prosecution for fare evasion
  • or all three

Of these I'd say that prosecution is quite likely. At least with this option you won't have to pay a penalty fare but the court fine will probably be around £250: the courts in this area are ramping up the fines these days.

Is it worth it?

voyagerdude220

Established Member
I don't want a job. End of. Besides, all the money I'm getting is going towards my MacBook anyway.

I may be wrong here, as I've never met you face to face before Gizmogle, but the impression i'm gradually building up of you, about your personality etc, isn't currently very good IMO.

Why?

Because it appears to me, that you really want to go on trips etc, which cost money, but don't want to (and won't) actually work for, and more importantly earn your money.

My Solutions?:

A) Don't plan trips, which you can't afford. If you were seriously concerned about going on these train journeys etc, you'd already be working! And if you had got a job, i wouldn't be here now, posting this. (Or on the other hand, i'd be positive, and say it's good on you for getting a job, and not expecting to just go on trips, without earning the money for them.)

B) Plant some seeds for a tree which grows money. These special seeds may not be available throughout the UK, but you may find some on ebay, for £0.99, plus £55.42 P&P.

It may take time though for this option to work, however..
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Good luck in life if you have that attitude!

Oh, so it's not just me who shares that opinion. ;)

One of my top personal sayings in life is: You get out of life, what you put into it. (and vice versa)

People who share Gizmogle's attitude towards life, seriously irritate me.... :x

Gizmogle

Established Member
Okay, make that, I don't want a job right now.

Although that money tree idea sounds quite good, any know where I can get some seeds for free? (That one was a joke :p)

Sorry if I give off a bad impression, I really don't mean to. I just don't want a job right now. I will get one, just not right now as I'm busy with college and stuff and don't want to start falling behind.

W14Fishbourne

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who got that impression. I was afraid I was just being an old fogey!

Status
Not open for further replies.