• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Priv returns Paddington - Swindon and Waterloo - Westbury (diverted FGW services)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hello

I'm looking into travelling on the diverted FGW services over the Easter weekend, and wondered what the cheapest way to do the following would be?

Priv return from Paddington - Swindon (via the Chilterns & Oxford) and
Priv return from Waterloo - Westbury (via Basingstoke)

These may be on separate days over the weekend (I'm not sure if I'd have time to do both in the same day).

Thanks in anticipation for any advice anyone can give!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Can't comment on PRIV aspects, or the Chiltern route for that matter, but last time they did these diversions I (and quite a few others) did Westbury to Waterloo return using the 'route Salisbury' fare, (now 'route Warminster/Salisbury') which is normally aimed at people changing at Salisbury into the SWT service. The FGW guards didn't comment about the fare at all in either direction. Fare is shown as valid on NRES for the relevant services and dates.

I remember last time there was some debate beforehand about whether the train needed to call at Salisbury or not, and the answer was that it definitely did not.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Route Salisbury means that you must travel through Salisbury. There is no requirement to call.

Thanks for this.

I did wonder if there would be some value to using a Thames 3 day rover as part of any combination, as it I have this right, that would allow travel between Paddington and Oxford, therefore meaning only an Oxford - Swindon return would be needed to complete this part...
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Hello

A few further questions:

1) A 3-day Thames Rover is valid PAD - Reading - Basingstoke. However, with Waterloo being used as a terminus instead on Easter Weekend (where Thames Rovers are not normally valid), would I be correct in thinking that these would not be valid between Waterloo and Basingstoke on the diverted services?

2) If not, would a Waterloo - Basingstoke 'Route Woking' be valid, based on the same logic as with Salisbury above, and given that both trains (out and return) travel through Woking (without calling)?

3) The 3-day Thames Rover is valid PAD - Reading - Oxford. Would this still be valid between PAD and Oxford, despite the train not travelling through Reading (as it runs via Banbury instead)?

4) Would this Rover be valid for a BoJ at Banbury?

Thanks in anticipation!

louis97

Established Member
Hello

A few further questions:

1) A 3-day Thames Rover is valid PAD - Reading - Basingstoke. However, with Waterloo being used as a terminus instead on Easter Weekend (where Thames Rovers are not normally valid), would I be correct in thinking that these would not be valid between Waterloo and Basingstoke on the diverted services?

Indeed, they would not be valid, also the services are pick up only.

2) If not, would a Waterloo - Basingstoke 'Route Woking' be valid, based on the same logic as with Salisbury above, and given that both trains (out and return) travel through Woking (without calling)?

No this is not valid as the service is pick up only at Basingstoke.

3) The 3-day Thames Rover is valid PAD - Reading - Oxford. Would this still be valid between PAD and Oxford, despite the train not travelling through Reading (as it runs via Banbury instead)?

No it would not as the service does not travel along the route that the rover is valid. Not 100% certain on this though - can anyone confirm?

Do you mean using a London - Banbury ticket in conjunction with a rover, if so then yes that is perfectly valid.

Thanks in anticipation!

Hope that helps

Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Thanks for this...

I don't think Banbury is an advertised call, last time the diverts ran the doors were not supposed to be opened there. If they were running late they'd have the option of reversing at Aynho Junction...

The calls at Basingstoke are different, they are needed to allow connections from the west country towards Reading (and return) - there is no similar requirement for a public call at Banbury.

Last edited:

louis97

Established Member

Neither would be valid as services are pick up only going from London, and set down only going towards London. Unless of course you can get permission from the train crew to travel, have fun getting out the barriers at Waterloo though.

Thanks for the replies.

With regard to 3) I thought this may have been valid, my thinking was based on the Tyne Valley diverts being valid using a North East Rover and a BWK - EDB return...

Also, can anyone suggest the cheapest way of doing Waterloo - Westbury return, given that 1) and 2) above don't seem to be valid?

EDIT: Could anyone confirm if a Waterloo - Westbury 'Route Salisbury/Warminster' would be valid?

Last edited:

louis97

Established Member
Thanks for the replies.

With regard to 3) I thought this may have been valid, my thinking was based on the Tyne Valley diverts being valid using a North East Rover and a BWK - EDB return...

Also, can anyone suggest the cheapest way of doing Waterloo - Westbury return, given that 1) and 2) above don't seem to be valid?

EDIT: Could anyone confirm if a Waterloo - Westbury 'Route Salisbury/Warminster' would be valid?

Tyne Valley divert with a North West Rover are valid because the route along the coast is included on the rover. The line from Paddington to Banbury via West Ruislip is not valid on the Thames rover.

Yes the ticket route warminster/salisbury is valid on the Diversions.

It's the Freedom of the North East Rover (in conjunction with a BWK - EDB return) that was confirmed as being valid while the diverts via the Tyne Valley take place.

I did wonder if, on travelling from Paddington to Oxford on a direct service, it mattered what the routeing was - as it's a direct service between two points shown on the map?

louis97

Established Member
It's the Freedom of the North East Rover (in conjunction with a BWK - EDB return) that was confirmed as being valid while the diverts via the Tyne Valley take place.

I did wonder if, on travelling from Paddington to Oxford on a direct service, it mattered what the routeing was - as it's a direct service between two points shown on the map?

Sorry, yes that was the rover I looked at.

On a station-to-station ticket routing does not matter for a direct service with an any permitted tickets, however I think as a rover is valid in a certain area only, trains are only valid on that route, and the direct service rule does not apply. With the Rover I would imagine the route to take to Oxford would be train to Maidenhead, bus to Didcot, then a train to Oxford.

Status
Not open for further replies.