• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

PRIV Solo Supplement on Caledonian Sleeper

Status
Not open for further replies.

richd1975

Hello,

I have a standard PRIV pass and wondered whether you can book a solo supplement cabin on the Caledonian Sleeper? Staff at my local booking office don't seem to know and I can't see anything on the ScotRail website.

Thank you in advance for your replies.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
You can get a supplement for solo occupancy of a twin cabin (single cabins are first class), but you won't get PRIV rate on that, so it's Priv Anytime/Off-Peak + full Supplement.

Last edited:

richd1975

Thanks for the reply. The solo option looks to be around £98.87 compared to £31.20 for he PRIV fare. Anyone know how busy the route up from London to Inverness is likely to be on a Sunday in November? Could I strike lucky and get a berth all to myself?

Thanks

jimjim

Could you buy two priv fares? Although I suppose they could resell your second berth at Euston if the train was busy?

I also have a similar type query. I would want to go with an under 5. I have priv but he doesn't as there is no need. Looking at BR fares there is a child priv rate but there is not on the ATOC website where it just mentions adult fares.

Would I be able to buy a child priv fare for him? Or another adult priv? Both ways would be cheaper than the supplement?

RJ

Established Member
I enquired about getting on the Sleeper a few weeks ago. The crew said unless the Priv Advance ticket was booked, Priv discounted tickets had no validity at all - they said a Priv Anytime or Super Off Peak ticket wasn't valid in the seated accommodation and that such tickets wouldn't be accepted, even with a full priced berth supplement.

Lad Brookes

I enquired about getting on the Sleeper a few weeks ago. The crew said unless the Priv Advance ticket was booked, Priv discounted tickets had no validity at all - they said a Priv Anytime or Super Off Peak ticket wasn't valid in the seated accommodation and that such tickets wouldn't be accepted, even with a full priced berth supplement.

I knew that was the official line, wasn't sure what the implementation was like.

Always wondered whether a Priv ALR would be allowed on.

Edit: hadn't spotted the note on the restrictions pdf on RSTL's website, namely: "Restrictions on overnight services apply to seated accommodation only". That makes more sense.

Last edited:

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor

Sorry, but that is pash!

You have been given duff information.

In summary re. staff travel on the sleeper:-

A) No staff travel in the seats (ok that was correct above)

B) For the berths there are two elements to the ticket(s) required - travel & berth supplement. Some tickets are berth inclusive and others require a supplement (i.e. a sleeper reservation) - this applies to staff tickets just as much as public fares. The following combinations are all valid on the sleeper:-

1) Safeguarded box filled* in + public rate sleeper supplement or solo supplement.
2) Priv. rate ticket valid for route + public rate sleeper supplement or solo supplement.

AFAIAA neither of the above are quota controlled.

3) Priv. rate berth inclusive advance ticket, two price levels available, quota controlled.

If you need any more info send me a PM,

Cheers

Could you buy two priv fares? Although I suppose they could resell your second berth at Euston if the train was busy?

Not the done thing, old boy. The sleeper staff can take a dim view of this and may possibly put someone in there just to spite you. This is seen as obtaining a berth that might otherwise be sold at a higher rate. There may be a fair bit of scrutiny at present with management checking up on things prior to the new franchise handover. I wouldn't risk it at this moment in time.

I also have a similar type query. I would want to go with an under 5. I have priv but he doesn't as there is no need. Looking at BR fares there is a child priv rate but there is not on the ATOC website where it just mentions adult fares.

I believe it may be possible to get a priv. card for under fives as long as you apply for a FIP card at the same time. This is because certain European countries have different less generous age limits for children. It's worth a try.

Would I be able to buy a child priv fare for him? Or another adult priv? Both ways would be cheaper than the supplement?

I would doubt this very much, no priv. card = no priv. ticket. Under fives are expected to share the bed with their parent(s). That said a public rate child berth supplement is 50% of the adult rate but I'm not sure if you can get that without a ticket. It is always best to contact Scotrail telesales direct when travelling with children on the sleeper.

I will ask my contacts to see what they suggest.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.