PRIV Supplement on Night Riviera Sleeper

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by alocotpi, 3 May 2017.

1. alocotpi

alocotpi Member

I have a staff travel pass for GWR, and I'm looking to travel to London on the sleeper at some point in the summer. I'd be travelling with someone who does not have a PRIV, so would have to pay full price standard fare.

I was wondering if it would be possible for us to both pay a £35 supplement for a 2 bed berth, as it would work out cheaper to do it that way. I can't work out whether I'd be able to pay just the £35 for a supplement using my pass in lieu of a ticket, or if I'd have to buy a normal priv rate ticket, then pay the supplement.

If anyone knows some info would be much appreciated.

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. bb21

bb21 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

If you have a free staff travel pass, no separate travel ticket is required.

Quote from the Knowledgebase:

4. Solent&Wessex

Solent&Wessex Established Member

I did the GWR sleeper recently and found that the PRIV rate berth + travel ticket at £27 was good value for a single berth and cheaper than paying the supplement on top of a dated box. Booked in Advance the berth + travel fare for my companion was £49, and that was a single berth. So we both had single rooms for £76 including travel.

I fail to see how buying separate tickets for travel then paying the berth supplement (which I think is more than £35 anyway) would work out better value.

5. bb21

I believe the inclusive fare is quota controlled and availability can often be low unless you get in quick.

6. Solent&Wessex

Solent&Wessex Established Member

Possibly, the one I booked the other week was relatively short notice and it isn't noted as an Advance type fare.

7. Sleepy

Sleepy Member

:cry: correct - some busy nights quota = None at all.

8. richardderby

richardderby Member

Have been trying to book the N/R sleeper for a twin berth, travelling Padd to Penzance on Monday 20th May. Tried booking at Euston, and also Paddington but was only offered a super off peak fare, plus sleeper supplement which is much more expensive. Would anyone know if the quota is currently available, I believe it should be £52.50 for the two of us, at priv rate.. Thanks if you could help..

9. Surreytraveller

Surreytraveller Established Member

In May last year, I paid just over £100 for two PRIVs, and that was just berth supplements as I have boxes.

10. Sleepy

Sleepy Member

It looks like availability for Solo tickets is showing on that night which would cost £62.50 for 2 people.

11. richardderby

richardderby Member

Th
    Thanks for that.. So if I book the solo tickets, would that mean separate cabins? Do you think that is the best option in this case.. Will pop to Paddington next week to book it, some of the other ticket office staff look horrified when you ask about the sleeper...

12. philthetube

philthetube Established Member

Don't rely on those tickets being available next week

13. richardderby

richardderby Member

tried to book yesterday at Charing Cross, after half an hour at the ticket office, was offered only seated accommodation at Priv rate for the 20th May, will pop to Paddington again next week, otherwise, we will have to take the 10am day train on the Tuesday :( it really is a complicated booking system GWR use ...

14. Surreytraveller

Unless its changed, I didn't think you could get PRIV rate for seated accommodation on the sleeper?

15. father_jack

father_jack Member

That is still the case, and also on Caledonian. No seated PRIV.

16. bb21

Night Riviera seated accommodation is just regular seated accommodation. Validity as per day trains.

No priv discount on Caley Sleeper seats.

17. Sleepy

Sleepy Member

Could try Liverpool Street - did booking recently took less than 5 minutes no hassle.

18. philthetube

I did last October, I wasn't aware that you couldn't, I enquired about berths, was told that none were available and was sold a priv return in the seats, cost just over £22, not sure exactly and dont have the tickets to check. Reservations made for me, no probs.No comment from staff either at London ,Inverness or on train.

19. Mag_seven

Mag_seven Established Member

[pedant] apart from between Edinburgh and Fort William and between Kingussie and Inverness [/pedant] ;)

20. Sleepy

Sleepy Member

Expect it's like the list of "banned trains" for PRIV ticket holders that RST publish twice a year - most TOC staff probably don't know / not bothered about such things, especially if you held reservations - but personally wouldn't fancy risking being turned away from an overnight service !!

21. philthetube

you are probably correct though I am surprised that the ticket could be issued.

22. Surreytraveller

The list used to be published twice a year in Railnews, but seems to be secret these days (it is on RSTL's website). I think the Sleeper restriction was the best known restriction - other times I'd check were normally Friday afternoons. I don't think there are as many restrictions as there used to be

23. Surreytraveller

Pedant the Sleeper is a day train between those points /pedant

24. richd1975

richd1975 Member

Hello,

Can anyone tell me which fare codes for solo and twin passengers allow the PRIV discount for the inclusive fare and berth on GWR’s Night Riviera service and any idea of how many are available on each service as a rough guide?

I spent most of yesterday afternoon trying to book the sleeper with a PRIV discount at three stations across Birmingham. Birmingham New Street (Virgin) told me they had a new ticketing system which wouldn’t allow them to issue PRIV sleeper fares, Moor Street Station(Chiltern) said the same.

A really helpful chap at Snow Hill really did try his best for me, had access to the system, but said he hadn’t been fully trained to issue sleeper tickets. The system showed the fares greyed out when he added the PRIV element. I guess as travel was for the next day the quota was fully alocated. I then asked him to issue just the berth supplement and said we’d date a box, but he said the system wouldn’t allow him to do this.

I then called GWR telesales to purchase over the phone. At first the assistant quoted an inclusive fare of £136 including PRIV discount for the ticket and berth (not sure where they calculated that fare from). I said this was more than just booking a twin berth (£90), so I said go ahead and book that please. The assistant then said she couldn’t just sell me a berth only ticket. I asked them to check with her supervisor and eventually they sold us the berth only supplement.

I’m glad I git sorted in the end, but we have the same problems every time we book the sleeper. If anyone can help me out with ensuring I ask ticket staff to check the correct fare types, that would be a great help. Apologies for the long post and little rant.

Cheers.