• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Priv tickets on london underground?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sgtmason1095

please can anybody let me know if i can use a PRIV on the london underground to get a discounted rate ticket thank you

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Thewanderer

Established Member
Yes, only on single and return tickets (if your lucky to find a open ticket office in the sticks).

There used to be a £3 Day Travelcard Priv. This was withdrawn a few years ago (huge loss). Now if in London I just used my (Adult) Oyster Card. If doing a cross London trip I would buy a Priv.

Now as many may know there is a Priv Oyster Card available. Despite pressure from several staff in IE to the CIE HR department and them chasing LUL, LUL refused to give us the Priv Oyster.

the sniper

Established Member
Are you protected (ex-BR) or TOC New Entrant? If you hold a TOCNE PRIV you don't get PRIV travel on LU.

Aictos

Established Member
Are you protected (ex-BR) or TOC New Entrant? If you hold a TOCNE PRIV you don't get PRIV travel on LU.

Unless of course your employer has a arrangement in place entitling you to a PTAC giving you up to 75% off Oyster fares, this is currently the agreement between TfL and FCC although sadly is likely to finish when Govia come in unless they decide to keep it.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
So to condense all that.......

• If you are ex-BR staff (safeguarded) yes you can get discounted travel on LUL services.
  • If you are not ex-BR staff and work for FCC you can get discounted Oyster travel on LUL.
  • If you neither ex-BR, FCC or Network Rail staff, you cannot get discounted tickets with LUL origins and destinations, but you can use LUL services for cross London connections during National Rail journeys.

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
You can also apply for a PRIV (Leisure) Oystercard though there seems to be a right palava in getting one.

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
BUT only ex BR staff can get them right?

Probably - am sure someone on here can outline the details. AllI know is that they exist. I gave up as I couldn't get the required grade of manager to countersign the form.

Last edited:

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Didn't know that non safeguarded FCC got discounted LUL travel. Will be interesting to see if that benefit transfers over to Goahead staff when the franchise changes in a month or so.

RJ

Established Member
So to condense all that.......

• If you are ex-BR staff (safeguarded) yes you can get discounted travel on LUL services.
  • If you are not ex-BR staff and work for FCC you can get discounted Oyster travel on LUL.
  • If you neither ex-BR, FCC or Network Rail staff, you cannot get discounted tickets with LUL origins and destinations, but you can use LUL services for cross London connections during National Rail journeys.

To add to that, East Coast and Eurostar staff also get the TfL only PTAC. This is in exchange for certain benefits such as Priv rate season tickets and specially discounted tickets.

Haywain

Veteran Member
To add to that, East Coast and Eurostar staff also get the TfL only PTAC. This is in exchange for certain benefits such as Priv rate season tickets and specially discounted tickets.

Only London based East Coast staff who live within Greater London get the Priv Oyster. Officially it's just for residential travel, in the same way as Priv seasons.

Marklund

Probably - am sure someone on here can outline the details. AllI know is that they exist. I gave up as I couldn't get the required grade of manager to countersign the form.

LUL/ATOC Form 90051 said:
All applications must include the employee’s company and the name and signature of his/her employing manager

I took that to be my direct line manager, who happily signed my form, and there were no questions asked at application.

Flamingo

Established Member
On a related note, if coming in from Paddington, what's the best priv that could be used for a Zone 1 return (if non-safeguarded)?

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I think it depends, as theoretically speaking you need to be on a reasonable route for your cross-London transfer.

The closest NR station from Paddington is Acton Main Line which is in Zone 3, so you are looking at at least a Zone 1 - 3 fare, which is £1.75 single or £2.85 day return. No off-peak fare within the zones. The first station outside the zones is Iver or Denham, and off-peak fares from there are more expensive so I don't think you gain anything with the new system coming from Paddington.

So if you need a transfer along the way to Euston then an Acton Main Line (or Ealing Broadway, same zone) to somewhere like South Hampstead would give you the aforementioned prices, or for stations en route to Barking and Upminster, a ticket to somewhere like Limehouse or West Ham (as you would have to pay for Zone 3 regardless), for example.

6Gman

Established Member
Ticket office staff still exist at the vast majority of Tube stations, yes... (a handful of the much smaller ones may periodically not have staff available).

But the queues are often very, very, very long!

And I've had to walk from one station to the next before now to find a staffed office to buy my priv.

Which is why the Priv Oyster is well worth the palaver of getting one (it took me a good 3-4 weeks, so plan ahead :D ).

PermitToTravel

Established Member
What a silly post, no decent Booking Office Clerk is going to sell one of those to non-safeguarded staff!

Many staff on the forum mention being let off entirely for fares by guards. I am not railway staff, but would imagine anyone willing to do that would be a good bet to buy such a ticket from

Urban Gateline

Established Member
Can anyone confirm if Goahead group staff will get the FCC discount oyster perk?

Probably more likely that FCC Staff will lose it when they take on GoVia Travel benefits! Only around 3 weeks to go until we get free travel on what will cease to be called FCC! :)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Many staff on the forum mention being let off entirely for fares by guards. I am not railway staff, but would imagine anyone willing to do that would be a good bet to buy such a ticket from

That is quite an assumption to make though! ;)

grid56126

The FCC Oyster was a good deal. Not only did all staff safeguarded or not, get them, but you were OFFICIALLY allowed to use them travelling to and from work which meant that it normally worked out cheaper than buying a Priv season for the LUL part of a journey.

Whether this will change in the coming days is unknown, but it was a good deal because of the reciprocal arrangements so may be safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.