• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

PRIV travel including NR LU and LOROL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ootooting

Hi,

I'm trying to work out if I can buy a Q fare with my staff travel card including LU.

As per 3.5 in the 'Where can I go?' Document
http://www.atoc.org/download/clientfiles/files/TRAVEL IRREGULARITY GUIDELINES - V6.pdf
As a non-safeguarded active employee I can purchase Q rate between two national rail stations on either side of London including travel on LU but not including A Tfl rail station as a destination.

Now that London Overground has taken over most of the northern London rail network how does this work?

For example if I want I make a journey from Teddington (NR) to Chingford (LOROL) via the Victoria line (Vauxhall to Walthamstow) would I still be eligible for a Q rate ticket for the whole journey?

Thanks for your help in clearing this up!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

100andthirty

Your post makes sense if it says "travel from/to stations either side of London using LU as a mode but cannot have an LU station as a destination". Overground and other TfL (not LU) stations, as far as I know, count as part of the National Rail network.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
LOROL and Crossrail (or whatever TfL wants to call them these days) stations are most definitely NR.

Ootooting

That's great. Thanks for the info!

Now here's another for you if you don't mind!

London Paddington (purchased at FGW ticket office) to Teddington

Now with this example I assume the priv rate would only be valid from say Wimbledon to Teddington?

Haywain

Veteran Member
The first thing to clarify is whether your priv is safeguarded or new entrant, as the rules differ. If it is new entrant, then it is only valid on London Underground as part of a through journey from one NR station to another, where the cross London marker is shown on the route. It is not clear that the priv is even valid on "interavailable" routes such as Kings Cross to Finsbury Park. On the other hand, if you are safeguarded then you can use priv on London Underground, and can have that discount loaded on an Oyster card as well as using tickets that start or finish at an LU Zone (such as Zone U1).

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Tbd he did say in the first post he is active non-safeguarded.

There is no fare from Paddington to Teddington. If you meant a ticket from London Terminals, this is not valid from Paddington. It is only valid from Victoria/Waterloo/Charing Cross/London Bridge/Cannon Street/City Thameslink/Blackfriars for this journey.

A Zone U1 ticket is required for travel from Paddington, which is not available at Q-rate for non-safeguarded staff.

Ootooting

There is no fare from Paddington to Teddington. If you meant a ticket from London Terminals, this is not valid from Paddington. It is only valid from Victoria/Waterloo/Charing Cross/London Bridge/Cannon Street/City Thameslink/Blackfriars for this journey.

A Zone U1 ticket is required for travel from Paddington, which is not available at Q-rate for non-safeguarded staff.

This makes perfect sense now thank you!

I think I was getting confused with the fact that Paddington runs NR services.

Thanks!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
If it is new entrant, then it is only valid on London Underground as part of a through journey from one NR station to another, where the cross London marker is shown on the route.

Is the 'cross London marker' something that appears on LU maps? If so, what does it look like or how can I identify these routes?

Last edited:

Haywain

Veteran Member
D'oh! Missed that, even after checking!

Is the 'cross London marker' something that appears on LU maps? If so, what does it look like or how can I identify these routes?
It appears as a + in the route field on a ticket, or as a Maltese cross when you look at fares on BRFares. In general terms though, it would apply for fares between two named NR stations which would involve a journey across central London, except where the route is 'Not Underground'. It certainly is not indicated on any maps.

As an aside, I've never heard of priv fares being referred to as Q-rate or Q fares before!

TEW

Established Member

Alternatively you could purchase a return from Acton Main Line to Teddington, which would include transfer across London by LU and the trip to Teddington.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
As an aside, I've never heard of priv fares being referred to as Q-rate or Q fares before!

That's ATOC speak for you. ;)

Alternatively you could purchase a return from Acton Main Line to Teddington, which would include transfer across London by LU and the trip to Teddington.

Yeah that'd work too.

Ootooting

So when I enter Teddington to Chingford with my PRIV on BRfares the results show the Maltese cross and ANY PERMITTED ROUTE.

So this would be valid on LU then?

Haywain

Veteran Member
Yes, between appropriate LUL stations such as Vauxhall (or Waterloo) and Liverpool Street.

Ootooting

Brilliant. Thanks so much for your help everyone! I'm obviously new to this and want to make the most of my PRIV but obviously without travel irregularities!

Lad Brookes

Or even, if making a day return journey after 09:30, Acton Main Line to Kempton Park- as this has an Off Peak Day Return priced cheaper than the Anytime Day Return to Teddington (AML-TED has no CDR as it is entirely within the zones).

matt_world2004

Established Member
Out of interest, can PRIV tickets be used on the underground where it shares the service with a national rail one? Like Harrow on the Hill to Rickmansworth or Queens Park to Harrow and Wealdstone, or Barking to Upminster?

greatkingrat

Established Member
No the discount is called the Privilege rate it may be a quarter of the fare but that's not the official term

Look at the Rail Staff Travel section of the ATOC site, it says

"Throughout this guide, Q-rate means quarter rate of the full public fare, or 75% discount, also sometimes called Priv rate or Privilege rate."

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
And on the tickets does it say q rate or Priv?

Neither. ;)

My season ticket says DISC and then 75%.

Seriously I'm not sure what this argument is going to achieve. Some call it Priv rate, and ATOC obviously had other ideas, but as long as we all know what they mean...

Wallsendmag

Established Member
From the ATOC site

PRIVILEGE RATE TRAVEL FROM SUMMER 2014:
Is this being extended?
Yes, for a further year up to September 2016 with the same terms, conditions and restrictions as at present.
What about my Season Ticket?
There is no change to the discount structure for Season Tickets. Please note that privilege rate Season Tickets allow you to travel to and from your place of work, and that your TOC Privilege Card should not be used for this purpose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deerfold

Veteran Member
"Priv rate" is basically a slang term. Q-rate = Quarter Rate.

And yet PRIV is what's printed on the ticket.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Neither. ;)

My season ticket says DISC and then 75%.

Seriously I'm not sure what this argument is going to achieve. Some call it Priv rate, and ATOC obviously had other ideas, but as long as we all know what they mean...

When I had a PRIV rate season ticket it said PRIV on it.

causton

Established Member
Does anyone know how this works in terms of actually buying a PRIV rate, Q-rate, 75% off ;) - ticket from a London Underground station to travel on the Overground or Crossrail (or even normal National Rail).

As I have been told by people from LUL and people who work for TOCs that XR and LO do not count as TOCs and I cannot buy PRIV tickets from them - which would surely not be true as lots of people buy PRIV tickets to travel on the Watford DC and you can buy them from most LO stations okay!

The example I had was starting at Highbury and Islington and travelling to Stratford.
(I actually wanted Harwich)

What should I do to actually buy a PRIV ticket?!?

TEW

Established Member
Does anyone know how this works in terms of actually buying a PRIV rate, Q-rate, 75% off ;) - ticket from a London Underground station to travel on the Overground or Crossrail (or even normal National Rail).

As I have been told by people from LUL and people who work for TOCs that XR and LO do not count as TOCs and I cannot buy PRIV tickets from them - which would surely not be true as lots of people buy PRIV tickets to travel on the Watford DC and you can buy them from most LO stations okay!

The example I had was starting at Highbury and Islington and travelling to Stratford.
(I actually wanted Harwich)

What should I do to actually buy a PRIV ticket?!?

Assuming there is no open ticket office I'd say you just have to be let through the ticket barriers to buy on board/at your destination. I travelled from West Brompton on LO before to Clapham Junction and was just let through the barriers when i asked as there was no open ticket office.

causton

Established Member
Assuming there is no open ticket office I'd say you just have to be let through the ticket barriers to buy on board/at your destination. I travelled from West Brompton on LO before to Clapham Junction and was just let through the barriers when i asked as there was no open ticket office.

At this time there was an open ticket office but refused to sell me a Priv rate ticket as it would be on pink Underground stock. Said I should use an Oyster card and would not let me buy at Stratford!

6Gman

Established Member
Look at the Rail Staff Travel section of the ATOC site, it says

"Throughout this guide, Q-rate means quarter rate of the full public fare, or 75% discount, also sometimes called Priv rate or Privilege rate."

My mother always called it "Quarter Fare".

:D

I've also been known to ask for a "PT Day Return to xxx".

The options are endless - but I've never heard, or used, Q-anything!

TEW

Established Member
At this time there was an open ticket office but refused to sell me a Priv rate ticket as it would be on pink Underground stock. Said I should use an Oyster card and would not let me buy at Stratford!

I'm not sure what you can do in that circumstance then. I'd probably ask the barrier staff to be let through if the ticket office was refusing to sell me a Priv ticket.

Status
Not open for further replies.