• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

priv tube fares

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vicpaul

I heard a few weeks back that staff can get single tube fares at a priv rate (just over £1)

I asked in the ticket office and they said no, so can only see it being through an avantix?

Anybody know, this would save me a few pennies on the £60 I put on my oyster.

Many thanks

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Urban Gateline

Established Member
Only Safeguarded PRIV holders can buy PRIV rate U123456 singles/returns or use an Oyster Card with PRIV rate fares charged to it. Some TOC's like FCC give PRIV Oysters to all their staff too.

I buy PRIV rate cross london tickets which sometimes work out cheaper than using an Oyster card at adult or Y-P rate! (e.g. Clapham Junction to Finsbury Park route Any Permitted)

revenueadvice

I once enquired at a underground booking office. They said the couldn't do priv travel cards but could sell priv single journeys. They didn't specify safe guarded or not.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Some TOC's like FCC give PRIV Oysters to all their staff too.
Capital Connect and East Coast are the only Tocs where non-safeguarded staff can apply for Priv-rate Pay As You Go only Photocards, which upon completion of the application form, and upon taking a standard registered Oyster card to an Underground ticket office, entitles the holder to Priv rate PAYG travel on Underground, Overground and DLR trains only.

Otherwise only Safeguarded staff and dependants, and children of active TfL or LU staff with a Ptac (Privilege Ticket Authority Card), can buy single Priv rate tickets on the Underground. The Priv Day 'Travelcard' (in fact only valid on LU, Overground and DLR so not an actual Travelcard) was withdrawn a few years ago but period tickets exist for those eligible.

Vicpaul

Being safeguarded (which I am not) was my first question, the person who suggested it said neither was he? He said they just put a code in a box (not helpful I know)

I used to be able to claim what I spent on oyster fares back through Scot rail in my brief stint on the sleepers.

Urban Gateline

Established Member
Being safeguarded (which I am not) was my first question, the person who suggested it said neither was he? He said they just put a code in a box (not helpful I know)

I used to be able to claim what I spent on oyster fares back through Scot rail in my brief stint on the sleepers.

Avantix machines can of course issue Underground singles with "PRV" discount, but that still doesn't make you entitled to them, one must be Safeguarded to be eligible for them.

RJ

Established Member
Capital Connect and East Coast are the only Tocs where non-safeguarded staff can apply for Priv-rate Pay As You Go only Photocards, which upon completion of the application form, and upon taking a standard registered Oyster card to an Underground ticket office, entitles the holder to Priv rate PAYG travel on Underground, Overground and DLR trains only.

If those TOCs can negotiate discounts on TfL services, why can't others in the London area? More's the pity that they haven't!

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
If those TOCs can negotiate discounts on TfL services, why can't others in the London area? More's the pity that they haven't!
TfL have gotten something in return, in that non-safeguarded TfL and LUL staff can get a non-taxable discount of 75% (i.e. Priv rate) for annual seasons only valid on ECT or Capital Connect services. Perhaps other companies are not willing to offer similar concessions?

sarahj

Established Member
There is a way to buy a priv travelcard, but cannot metion this on an open forum.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Those not entitled to use such tickets will however face being reported, for irregular travel, and to their employer for misuse of their staff travel card, if stopped by a London Underground Revenue Control Inspector

CyrusWuff

Established Member
"In-boundary" PRIV Day Travelcards were withdrawn a couple of years back, in favour of having the discount loaded on an Oyster for those who qualify for it. Though it should be noted that the public daily caps apply!

PRIV Travelcard Seasons are still available to qualifying staff, but are not valid on London Buses.

RJ

Established Member
Indeed - it's not worth it at all. A member of staff recently showed me a £2.00 Priv Travelcard which a colleague with an Avantix Mobile machine issued him with. I said good luck with that - until one the TfL inspectors who work for their £40k salary and don't get Priv catches him and does him right over!

There are ways to get the best of both worlds - work for the railways and marry a bus driver/TfL employee. Work for London Overground, or work part time for the railways and buses/TfL :).

Last edited:

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Indeed - it's not worth it at all. A member of staff recently showed me a £2.00 Priv Travelcard which a colleague with an Avantix Mobile machine issued him with. I said good luck with that - until one the TfL inspectors who work for their £40k salary and don't get Priv catches him and does him right over!

There are ways to get the best of both worlds - work for the railways and marry a bus driver/TfL employee. Work for London Overground, or work part time for the railways and buses/TfL :).

I did once have a suggestion from a friend who works for East Coast that we should get married which would give me almost entirely free travel to work and allow her to reduce the cost of her social life.

Not sure what my girlfriend of the time (now wife) and her boyfriend would have thought of it though.

A work colleague did marry a bus driver so had free Arriva travel throughout the country and on TfL services in London.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Apologies RJ, and with me at the risk of being accused of being a pedant, TfL Inspectors only work on the buses and earn in the £30ks depending on experience. It is only London Underground Inspectors who earn over £40k, but yes your point still stands! :smile:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Oh and RPIs are no where near on 40k
LU Revenue Control Inspectors earn more than £40k.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Apologies RJ, and with me at the risk of being accused of being a pedant, TfL Inspectors only work on the buses and earn in the £30ks depending on experience. It is only London Underground Inspectors who earn over £40k, but yes your point still stands! :smile:

I'm sure it's fair to describe "LU Revenue Control Inspectors" as "TfL Inspectors" given LU is part of TfL.

RJ

Established Member

I was thinking of the inspectors on the buses. Those who have been in the job for more than a year(?) earn in the high 30s, so I just rounded it up to 40 :p. I travel on the buses daily and only see them once in a blue moon, but they always seem to be very thorough in their checks - ensuring appropriate passes and photocards are carried. I've no doubt if they see a Priv Travelcard or Priv Oyster without accompanying boxes or PTAC, they wouldn't hesitiate to report the matter. Any member of railway staff expecting any notion of sympathy or discretion for any infringements would be very well advised not to try it in the first place! After all, as I say TfL staff aren't entitled to many, if any discount on the railways. A former colleage of mine got into a whole heap of trouble for using a Priv rate ticket to Zone U12 whilst only holding a TOCNE Priv.

Oh and RPIs are no where near on 40k

Maybe not those on the railways, but those working for TfL and London Underground are pretty close!

Last edited:

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator

RJ

Established Member
I did once have a suggestion from a friend who works for East Coast that we should get married which would give me almost entirely free travel to work and allow her to reduce the cost of her social life.

Not sure what my girlfriend of the time (now wife) and her boyfriend would have thought of it though.

A work colleague did marry a bus driver so had free Arriva travel throughout the country and on TfL services in London.

Tell me about it. As soon as people found out that I got an Oyster for free travel on TfL services, I had all sorts of propositions, people asking me to live with them and even offering to pay me for a nominee pass! I blame the media for publicising all the information on travel benefits!

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
A former colleage of mine got into a whole heap of trouble for using a Priv rate ticket to Zone U12 whilst only holding a TOCNE Priv.

What happens if they were sold the ticket without asking for it, for example, by an inexperienced ticket office clerk?

Are all staff supposed to know the ins and outs of everything in ticketing now?

Solent&Wessex

Established Member
What happens if they were sold the ticket without asking for it, for example, by an inexperienced ticket office clerk?

Staff are, and should be, expected to know what discounts etc they are entitled to. If in doubt look it up, it's not difficult to get the relevant information.

Deerfold

Veteran Member

I was once sold a single PRIV that I'm not entitled to for a short journey and hadn't asked for. :oops:

It's not a journey I pay for on its own often (I'm usually doing a longer journey that that's part of and had a valid ticket for the rest of the journey). I thought it sounded low but didn't realise until later that it was PRIV (it was early morning - wasn't very awake).

I'm not rail staff.

Last edited:

hairyhandedfool

Established Member

People do make mistakes and more so new or inexperienced clerks (especially if they are told the ticket machines do it all), and clerks won't necessarily be aware of everything outside their local area, but they should know where to look it up and be able, and willing, to do so.

RJ

Established Member

Let the buyer beware. The onus is on the passenger to correct any mistake the seller makes - Byelaws are strict liability after all.

I went to East Croydon once and asked for a Priv Single from Battersea Park to South Hampstead. After consulting a map, the clerk issued me with a single to Zone U12 and was then adamant it was valid when I protested and demanded to be sold what I asked for. At Denmark Hill, I ask for a single to St Pancras and they keep giving me singles to London Terminals!

You just can't get the staff these days :(

sarahj

Established Member
To be fare, I once sold a ticket to Euston from down south, put euston into the machine, ticket screen said XXX to euston. Ticket came out, london terminals.

Slightly OT
Tonight, while helping out at Gatwick, I was asked for a ticket to paris. Pity all I could do was sell them a ticket to St P and tell them to buy one there, warning that the price was not going to be cheap. I could have sold them a ticket to london CIV, but since they were not yet in pocession(?) of a eurostar ticket, that technically would have been a no no.
Quick question RJ, can you sell eurostar at a ticket office?, as I was manning the help desk and only had an advantix, and the queue at the ticket office was massive, thought getting them to St P ASAP was the best way, it was past 18.00.

RJ

Established Member
To be fare, I once sold a ticket to Euston from down south, put euston into the machine, ticket screen said XXX to euston. Ticket came out, london terminals.

Slightly OT
Tonight, while helping out at Gatwick, I was asked for a ticket to paris. Pity all I could do was sell them a ticket to St P and tell them to buy one there, warning that the price was not going to be cheap. I could have sold them a ticket to london CIV, but since they were not yet in pocession(?) of a eurostar ticket, that technically would have been a no no.
Quick question RJ, can you sell eurostar at a ticket office?, as I was manning the help desk and only had an advantix, and the queue at the ticket office was massive, thought getting them to St P ASAP was the best way, it was past 18.00.

You did the right thing :). I don't think so at my humble country outpost, though EMT at St Pancras and Leicester at least can from their ticket offices. An E* ticket holder asked me for a ticket to St Pancras last week. I was looking forward to selling my first London CIV ticket, but decided not to bother as it was significantly more expensive than the normal fare to St Pancras.

Denmark Hill has regular services though the tunnel. Considering its location, the staff should be fully aware of the rule with regards to London Terminals tickets not being valid north of City Thameslink but they never seem to learn. It's a tall order to get what I ask for from there, it was way beyond one of them to sell me a Plus High Speed upgrade ticket despite me telling them the correct origin, destination, ticket type and price. I really loathe going to ticket offices to make purchases these days.

Avantix isn't intuitive when it comes to station groups - you just have to know (or trial and error) your U Zones and Snow Hill rules when it comes to cross London fares :p.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.