• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Private plates on buses and coaches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wirewiper

Thanks for clarification. It is odd that in the early days the first few had the then current style of registration, and in a short while were re-registered with their LTZ numbers. I have had a qick search but cannot find any online reference. Can anyone help?

EDIT: I've found a picture of an LT with the registration LT61 AHT.

LT 1-8 were the prototypes, and entered service with the registrations LT61 AHT/BHT/CHT/DHT/EHT/FHT/GHT - LT2 was actually the first in service when it operated a 12.01 Hackney Central - Victoria route 38 extra on 27th February 2012. All eight were subsequently reregistered into the LTZ 1*** series. LT 9-13 initially entered service with Metroline on route 24 with LT13 *** registrations but these were quickly changed to LTZ 10** plates.

And as noted, LT 901-999 carry LTZ 29** plates, whilst LT1000 is LTZ 1000.

New Bus For London - the Inaugural Journey by Julian Walker, on Flickr

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Pit_buzzer

LT 1-8 were the prototypes, and entered service with the registrations LT61 AHT/BHT/CHT/DHT/EHT/FHT/GHT - LT2 was actually the first in service when it operated a 12.01 Hackney Central - Victoria route 38 extra on 27th February 2012. All eight were subsequently reregistered into the LTZ 1*** series. LT 9-13 initially entered service with Metroline on route 24 with LT13 *** registrations but these were quickly changed to LTZ 10** plates.

And as noted, LT 901-999 carry LTZ 29** plates, whilst LT1000 is LTZ 1000.

New Bus For London - the Inaugural Journey by Julian Walker, on Flickr
Interesting that LT1 - 8s original registrations must also have been select plates as the group of 3 letters doesn't progress in the normal fashion. And LT itself is a bit of coincidence for the area identifier

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Interesting that LT1 - 8s original registrations must also have been select plates as the group of 3 letters doesn't progress in the normal fashion. And LT itself is a bit of coincidence for the area identifier
DVLA hold back registrations that have the second and last letters the same. We had a thread about it a while back.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Grand - any chance you could post the link as it may be of interest to others?

Et voila!

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Et voila!

Merci beaucoup, monsieur :)

Dstock7080

Established Member
Wings Luxury Travel of Uxbridge acquired quite a few ex-RM “WLT” plates in the late ‘80s for their coaches.
When I acquired my WLT5xx plate I was specifically asked by the dealer “you’re not Wings Travel of Uxbridge are you?!”
Wings have since rebranded as Wings Executive Travel and have changed the “WLT” for non-descript “WET” plates.

I know high peak have some private plates in their solos based at dove holes near buxton.

Example of which is HP52 BUS

D&G out of crewe have got DG64 BUS

peters

On Moderation

DG64 BUS was moved to their Adderley Green depot shortly after they stopped operating the 32 service. Although, the 108 service in Macclesfield is operated from the depot so it's possible it's been to Macc recently.

They also have 4 Wright Streetlites which were previously used on the Isle of Man so they registered them using DG55 BUS, DG56 BUS, DG57 BUS and DG58 BUS.

route101

Established Member
I know high peak have some private plates in their solos based at dove holes near buxton.

Example of which is HP52 BUS

Are these age identifier's accurate on these buses?

Flange Squeal

Established Member
Are these age identifier's accurate on these buses?
And further to @cnjb8 on the D&Gs above, the other vehicle mentioned in your quote - High Peak HP52 BUS - is not. This is a 2011 Optare Solo, formerly YJ11 EJU. It did used to be on an age appropriate vehicle though, as it used to be worn by former Nottingham Omnicity FG52 WFX.

InOban

Established Member
At one time almost all West Coast Motors vehicles, both buses and coaches had private plates in the format # @00 WCM, as in W200 WCM. Still some around but with the growth of the Craig family empire recent vehicles have abandoned this.

Merle Haggard

Established Member
Bus related but not on a bus.
The first bus that the late Colin Shears (West of England transport Collection, Winkleigh) bought was an Exeter Corporation Tiger, no 67, which ran on route K.
His early career was on the Exeter Motor Tax office and presumably he kept some contacts, because he once picked me up at St Davids station in his new car, proud of its registration - BUS67K.

busesrusuk

Both Oxford Bus Co and Stagecoach Oxford use "cherished" plates on their coach fleet. Oxford have plates with "OX" or "OXF":

Oxford Bus 62 Apr 14 | keith wood | Flickr
Oxford 61 Apr15 | Park Lane, Apr 2015 | keith wood | Flickr
Oxford 44 Oct18 | Heathrow, Terminal 5. Oct 0218 | keith wood | Flickr

This were also specific plates for coaches on the X90 route into London (now ceased):
Oxford 71 may15 | Marble Arch, May 2015 | keith wood | Flickr
Oxford 68 Aug16 | Thornhill P&R site, Aug 2016 | keith wood | Flickr

Whilst Stagecoach have a number of reg's that relate to the Oxford Tube service:
SCoach Oxford 50261 Aug19 | Magdalen College, Oxford. Aug 20… | Flickr
SCoach Oxford 50263 Aug19 | Oxford Castle, Aug 2019 | Flickr

These plates get transferred to new batches of vehicle's and will appear on the latest Plaxton double deck coaches in due course.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Am I right in thinking that the "LT" part of that series was a deliberate reference to "London Transport"?
The Lx marks were allocated to Greater London until 1974 and then London North West thereafter, with the exceptions of LG, LJ, LS and LV. It might just have been a co-incidence, although with London Transport having a fair amount of purchasing power, it wouldn't surprise me if those ranges were specially reserved.

Someone with more knowledge of LT's history will no doubt be able to shed a bit more light.

SteveyBee131

TM Travel, of Halfway near Sheffield (and these days part of the group who own Trent Barton), has for many years had plate TM52 BUS

For many years it was carried by an Optare Solo, but is now carried by an East Lancs Nordic. I don't have any pictures of either, but a Google image search comes up with pictures of both.

TheSel

TM Travel, of Halfway near Sheffield (and these days part of the group who own Trent Barton), has for many years had plate TM52 BUS

For many years it was carried by an Optare Solo, but is now carried by an East Lancs Nordic. I don't have any pictures of either, but a Google image search comes up with pictures of both.
Can't help with the Nordic, but here's a shot I took of the Solo when I was living in the area. 19/11/11, climbing Wharncliffe Street out of Rotherham.

1613146390399.png

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
The Lx marks were allocated to Greater London until 1974 and then London North West thereafter, with the exceptions of LG, LJ, LS and LV. It might just have been a co-incidence, although with London Transport having a fair amount of purchasing power, it wouldn't surprise me if those ranges were specially reserved.

Someone with more knowledge of LT's history will no doubt be able to shed a bit more light.

Indeed, they were London marks

LA London London NW
LB London London NW
LC London London NW
LD London London NW
LE London London NW
LF London London NW
LG Cheshire Chester
LH London London NW

LJ Bournemouth Bournemouth
LK London London NW
LL London London NW
LM London London NW
LN London London NW
LO London London NW
LP London London NW

LR London London NW
LS Selkirkshire Edinburgh
LT London London NW
LU London London NW
LV Liverpool Liverpool
LW London London NW
LX London London NW
LY London London NW

I don't know about the LT plates being booked for Routemasters by design. The DMS (aka Londoner) had their first examples with EGP-J plates, and FRM1 had a KGY plate.

DJames

NX West Midlands have S1 TWM, which was originally on an O405GN: https://www.flickr.com/photos/royalmailman/14985152634/

It then got put onto a Scania bendy: https://www.flickr.com/photos/je1791/5641022057/

And, after those got withdrawn, it got transferred again to a B7RLE: https://www.flickr.com/photos/stourvalley/49494645333/

There was also C8 NEX, which adorned an ALX200 Dart, transferred in from Travel London. It was new to Connex, hence the registration. I don't think it's been re-used since the vehicle was withdrawn, however.

There are also two Enviro200 Darts in the fleet, acquired from igo/WMSNT after they went under, with T13/T16 GAJ registrations, but I'm not sure if there's any significance to those.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
There are also two Enviro200 Darts in the fleet, acquired from igo/WMSNT after they went under, with T13/T16 GAJ registrations, but I'm not sure if there's any significance to those.
They were new to a firm called Leven Valley on Teesside. It was a very smart firm - traditional livery and usually immaculate. Amongst secondhand acquisitions, they would buy/lease vehicles and re-register them with traditional Teesside registration marks such as AJ, VN and XG. They were bought out by Proctors Group and those ones, I suspect, returned off lease.

Flange Squeal

Established Member
There was also C8 NEX, which adorned an ALX200 Dart, transferred in from Travel London. It was new to Connex, hence the registration. I don't think it's been re-used since the vehicle was withdrawn, however.
It's currently on the company staff health bus, a Mercedes-Benz O405N formerly T687 FOB.

Status
Not open for further replies.