• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Privatisation of the NHS discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dai Corner

Established Member
I use

https://patient.emisaccess.co.uk/

to request repeat prescriptions and they are ready to be collected at my nominated pharmacy a couple of days later.

Looks good, though my GP doesn't appear to offer it. I'm in Wales so it might be an NHS England facility. If your GP prescribes something during an appointment can the prescription be sent electronically to a pharmacy so it's ready for you to collect a few minutes later?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

radamfi

Established Member
If your GP prescribes something during an appointment can the prescription be sent electronically to a pharmacy so it's ready for you to collect a few minutes later?

The GP asks whether I want the prescription sent straight to the pharmacy as that information is shown on the GP's screen at that moment.

Dai Corner

Established Member
The GP asks whether I want the prescription sent straight to the pharmacy as that information is shown on the GP's screen at that moment.

The technology is available then. I just need to persuade NHS Wales to use it!

Senex

Established Member
I use

https://patient.emisaccess.co.uk/

to request repeat prescriptions and they are ready to be collected at my nominated pharmacy a couple of days later.
I use emis too to make appointments, look at my record, etc, but I tend to avoid it for the pharmacy service unless there is no time-pressure at all (as with repeat prescriptions where one can order well in advance). If I walk to the surgery, collect a paper prescription, take it to the pharmacy and wait for it to be dispensed I can normally have the result in about an hour. If my GP writes a prescription whilst I am with him and sends it direct to the pharmacy, it will normally be two or three days before it's ready to collect—not good enough for medicines one needs as quickly as possible.

takno

Established Member
The technology is available then. I just need to persuade NHS Wales to use it!
The problem is that the systems are chosen by GP practices, who are largely independent partnerships and not really part of the NHS at all. That means that if your local practice owner is a luddite, or doesn't want to invest because they'll be out of it in 5 years and can't see the benefit, or is too small for the costs to stack up, or just plain can't be bothered, then you don't get access to the shiny new stuff.

That's one of the reasons that the billions spent on NHS IT in the 2000s didn't go as far as it should have. In terms of systems X, Y and Z it rolled out a network so they could talk to each other (sometimes), and it created a lot of the system X's. With GPs unwilling to cede control of system Z though, combined with a general unwillingness to share patient data, there was no real chance of creating a unified system. Instead a massive amount of time and money was spent banging heads against a brick wall.

Bear in mind that the appointment thing isn't wholly a systems problem. Given the length of the appointments on offer the doctors probably need a few missed appointments scattered through the day just to keep on top of their schedule. That's just creative accounting in the environment we were in, but then you start hiring efficiency bullies to make everybody feel miserable about the "waste" created by this essential safety valve. Doctors can't risk taking responsibility so they blame patients, who get a guilt trip about the completely nominal money they've just "wasted".

Typhoon

Established Member
If I walk to the surgery, collect a paper prescription, take it to the pharmacy and wait for it to be dispensed I can normally have the result in about an hour. If my GP writes a prescription whilst I am with him and sends it direct to the pharmacy, it will normally be two or three days before it's ready to collect—not good enough for medicines one needs as quickly as possible.
And if the pharmacy doesn't have the appropriate item then you have the option of taking the prescription elsewhere rather than having it ordered in.

Dai Corner

Established Member
And if the pharmacy doesn't have the appropriate item then you have the option of taking the prescription elsewhere rather than having it ordered in.

And yet, as I mentioned earlier, I can check stock on Argos' website, reserve at my chosen branch and collect within minutes or have my purchase delivered the same day. (Other retailers are available).

One local pharmacy has an online repeat prescription service. I thought I'd try it out last Monday. I still don't have my drugs six days later and the status says 'with surgery'.

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
I haven't noticed (forgive me if it is here somewhere) anyone mention how insulting it is for the head of a foreign state to declare how our health service is safe in his hands. What we do with the health service - even if we do go down a semi-private road, should be down to us and not a madman who thinks he should be running the world. Tramp owns Johnson outright - the message is abundantly clear that the NHS is most certainly NOT safe in the hands of Tramp and his puppet.

Status
Not open for further replies.