PRM-TSI derogations: DfT publish letters with the details

Discussion in 'Traction & Rolling Stock' started by ainsworth74, 31 Dec 2019.

1. Bikeman78

Bikeman78 Member

Absolutely. It just makes me chuckle that people like to blame the EU. Belgium still has loads of platforms that are barely above rail height. The modern Desiros have basic automatic PA but nothing else does. I can't think of any stock with door release chimes. Same in the Netherlands though the platforms are all standard height. No idea about the rest of the EU.

2. 61653 HTAFC

61653 HTAFC Established Member

It varies from route to route and from country to country, and not in the ways you might think! For example both SNCF and ČD use Corail carriages of very similar design, but guess which of those organisations have gone to the trouble of installing automated Passenger Information Systems to those vehicles.

As far as I'm aware no other EU member state has enacted the PRM-TSI in the same way as the UK, with regard to legacy equipment.

3. Goldfish62

Goldfish62 Established Member

Indeed. I'm also not aware of any other state requiring colour contrasting doors on absolutely all stock.

Much of the bureaucracy blamed on the EU in fact comes from the UK government, who when they get complaints about the bureaucracy, falsely blame it on the EU. GDPR is one example. The UK government actively promoted it and made the case for it being introduced across the EU.

4. Bletchleyite

Bletchleyite Veteran Member

Indeed, GDPR is basically the UK DPA1998 plus some bits of German bureaucracy.

5. 61653 HTAFC

Any chance of a translation guide for some of these acronyms?

For completeness, the ones in my last post were: Societe National de Chemins de Fer (give or take a few accents); Česky Drahy; and Persons of Reduced Mobility - Technical Specifications for Interoperability.

6. delticdave

delticdave Member

I'd appreciate such a guide, there are far too many acronyms used in these posts.

7. NoMorePacers

NoMorePacers Member

I agree.

I think that if an acronym is going to be used only once, then there's no point including it in the first place (as it should be specified anyways).

If you specify something once but put the acronym in brackets next to it, and use the acronym at other points in the text, then that is fine.

8. Goldfish62

GDPR = General Data Protection Regulation.

9. delticdave

delticdave Member

Ta muchly.......

10. Bikeman78

Bikeman78 Member

Contrasting doors is an interesting point. In the 1980s the standard Dutch livery for suburban stock was yellow with grey doors. This has been replaced by blue/white livery with yellow doors. Intercity livery has been more or less the same throughout, blue and yellow which includes the doors. I note that German IC stock has the same colour on the doors too.

11. 387star

387star On Moderation

Presume 165s are ok despite having the same vestibule flooring as the rest of the train and old outside buttons. Seems external buttons aren't replaced on networkers either

12. Speed43125

Speed43125 Member

Aesthetically, the train being all the same colour as it swooshes past is more pleasing. In particular the 395s and hull trains 802s I feel look particularly bad with the doors on that dark blue. Are there are true High Speed (excluding Eurostar) trains that have contrasting doors? Some of the french ones?

13. Goldfish62

The TGVs have contrasting doors, but more to distinguish 1st and 2nd Class.

The general pattern in other countries seems to be to use contrasting doors on suburban and regional stock, presumably to aid recognition for quick boarding, but not on long distance trains.

14. SteveyBee131

SteveyBee131 Member

Had quite a pleasant surprise today, 144008 was used on the Saturdays only Sheffield to Cleethorpes. Weird though as it's not specifically mentioned in the route dispensation. Unless it is taken as an extension of the Gainsborough Central perhaps?

15. NoMorePacers

NoMorePacers Member

I’ve heard from a friend who was in Nottingham today that there were 2 153s running solo towards Liverpool. I don’t think this route was in the exemptions list - could anyone else report if it was true? If it was, then EMR have been naughty little boys and girls.

16. Failed Unit

Failed Unit Established Member

Maybe it had a 158 in the formation. But ultimately what can they do? Greater Anglia won’t release the 156s so EMR are dropped in it as a result.

17. PHILIPE

PHILIPE Veteran Member

153s never have run on their own on Nottingham to Liverpools, PRM ot not. They are booked for 2 x 158s but with a 156 substituting quite often. It seems that EMR are using 153/s as the strengthening units because of their restriction so they would have been with a 158 or, perhaps, a 156

18. Qwerty133

Qwerty133 Established Member

Some Liverpool services are now booked 158+(single)153 in order for services elsewhere to be upped to 2 coaches. If there was a solely 153 formation earlier it would not be the first time since the deadline that EMR had used them otherwise than in accordance with the derogation as there was also a 2x153 formation on the Matlock line midweek.

19. 30907

30907 Established Member

I've never seen a Corail vehicle in CZ and would be very surprised if there were any - do you mean CP (Portugal)?
    CD operates ancient East German-built stuff, secondhand Austrian stuff, or rebuilt/refurbished stuff; the last two have the typical central European plug doors not the distinctive Corail recessed ones.

20. 61653 HTAFC

To my untrained eye the Czech coaches I rode from Cheb to Prague looked to be similar in design to the Corail cars on the French sleeper from Paris to Latour de Carol, so I assumed they were ex-SNCF cars.

Looking for a few seconds on google shows my error: Every day is a schoolday!