• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Problem opening MSTS :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Hi all,

I'd be thankfull if somebody could help me with my copy of MSTS?

Basically, I've just re-installed it after un-installing it last night, to allow space for the crap BVE programme.

Now i've re installed it, when it loads up, the Loading bar comes up, jumps 3 or so sections from left to right till 1/2 way, and the game just exits completely, back to the desktop. No error messages, nothing.

I've tried re-installing it again, with the same happening.

Thanks for any help.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nitro

voyagerdude220 said:
Basically, I've just re-installed it after un-installing it last night, to allow space for the crap BVE programme.

BVE aint crap! On a more on-topic note though try restarting your pc after you install MSTS.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
dvn1357 said:
I get this problem, half way through an activity it crashes

o :( I've never had any problems (and dont have now) with it crashing in activities, its just this one problem with it not loading up fully at all

I'm now getting very ****ed off with MSTS..:mad:

Edit: I've tried what members have mentioned, with no change to the problem

The Snap

Established Member
BVE isn't crap, and in my opinion is much more realistic than MSTS, in may different ways! :mad: :p

voyagerdude220

Established Member
I got an idea of seeing what the MSTS editors & tools programme does when you load it, and it says there's an error with the "Track Database"..

Any ideas:?: :?:

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Coxster said:
What routes do you have installed?

Hi Coxster.

I've done a custom installation with:

Hisatu line, Tokyo-Hakone, and the S&C line selected.

Along with these, I've got the add-ons

GWR, Scottish Central, NWE, London to Brighton.

Hope somebody can actually find a fix.

Coxster

Established Member
You can't just have some of the default routes installed if you want any add-ons to work. Most will require default objects that you do not now have installed. No wonder it doesn't work. If you look in the ReadMe.txt files of any routes it will tell you to only install if you have ALL 6 default routes installed. All you can do is uninstall and restart all over again.

Just shows how peeople can't be bothered to read instructions then moan if it all goes wrong...

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Coxster said:
You can't just have some of the default routes installed if you want any add-ons to work. Most will require default objects that you do not now have installed. No wonder it doesn't work. If you look in the ReadMe.txt filkes and any routes it will tell you to only install if you have ALL 6 default routes installed. All you can do is uninstall and restart all over again.

Dam! I totally forgot about NWE requireing all of the default routes, I have read the read me before, It's just that I forgot. :oops:

Coxster

Established Member
voyagerdude220 said:
Dam! I totally forgot about NWE requireing all of the default routes, I have read the read me before, It's just that I forgot. :oops:
This is what you need to do:

1. Uninstall MSTS FULLY. After you uninstall it, make sure the 'Train Simulator' folder is not there as it may've left a few files behind. If it is there, delete it.

2. Reinstall MSTS FULLY.

3. Install anything else you want. DO NOT delete any of the default stuff.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Coxster said:
This is what you need to do:

1. Uninstall MSTS FULLY. After you uninstall it, make sure the 'Train Simulator' folder is not there as it may've left a few files behind. If it is there, delete it.

2. Reinstall MSTS FULLY.

3. Install anything else you want. DO NOT delete any of the default stuff.

That's fixed it! :D :D

If i knew you personally, I would give you something in return.

I did a search on the start menu for "train simulator", and deleted many things from MSTS. Now, I don't have ANY add-ons, or stock from UKTS, but I find this very good, because when I uninstalled it, it causes MSTS to come up with error messages because It couldn't find them.

Now, it's alot faster, no errors, just perfect. All i needed to do, is carefully select one or two add ons to put back on.

Thanks!

Tom B

Established Member
Probarbly best to give it a quick run with the defaults first too, just to check it's all OK before you put new routes in.

The Snap

Established Member
voyagerdude220 said:
Hi all,

I'd be thankfull if somebody could help me with my copy of MSTS?

Now i've re installed it, when it loads up, the Loading bar comes up, jumps 3 or so sections from left to right till 1/2 way, and the game just exits completely, back to the desktop. No error messages, nothing.

I've tried re-installing it again, with the same happening.

Thanks for any help.

I have got exactly the same program, only mine goes to about third of the way! :( I really wanted to use the new Dorset Coast, and get back into MSTS, but no such luck...:( :mad:

Having read the posts above, it seems there is nothing wrong with mine. All the routes that come with MSTS are installed, the London-Brighton Express and the Dorset Coast. There are no other routes installed.

However, I do have a hunch - Wjhen I installed the Dorset Coast, I unzipped them into My Documnents, then copied the files into the right place, rather than unzip them straight into the MSTS places. When I copied them in, it asked if I wanted to overwrite, so I said yes - perhaps some objects etc have been deleted???

I'll completely uninstall MSTS, and then completely re-install it, and see how far I get.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Rich said:
I have got exactly the same program, only mine goes to about third of the way! :( I really wanted to use the new Dorset Coast, and get back into MSTS, but no such luck...:( :mad:

Having read the posts above, it seems there is nothing wrong with mine. All the routes that come with MSTS are installed, the London-Brighton Express and the Dorset Coast. There are no other routes installed.

However, I do have a hunch - Wjhen I installed the Dorset Coast, I unzipped them into My Documnents, then copied the files into the right place, rather than unzip them straight into the MSTS places. When I copied them in, it asked if I wanted to overwrite, so I said yes - perhaps some objects etc have been deleted???

I'll completely uninstall MSTS, and then completely re-install it, and see how far I get.

Yes, that's EXACTLY the problem I had. Good luck for fixing your copy of MSTS.:)

I've not got Dorset Cost personally. Have you been able to play on it yet, or has your problem been happening for a little while?

If you've been able to get on it, what's the Dorset Coast like, would you recomend it to me? Having said that, I probablly won't download it because I have no knowledge what so ever for messing with .zip files on UKTS (I ALLWAYS try to get self installing ones, or CDs...)

T

Tom

voyagerdude, you can download Dorset Coast here, it is 4 easy zip files. Assuming MSTS is installed in the default location, unzip them to C:\ and it automatically places in the correct location! :)

The Snap

Established Member
tubechallenger said:
voyagerdude, you can download Dorset Coast here, it is 4 easy zip files. Assuming MSTS is installed in the default location, unzip them to C:\ and it automatically places in the correct location! :)

I have fixed MSTS now, and it seems I had the same problem as voyagerdude! :D

Tom, I've downloaded the Dorset Coast, and the Finescale stuff and replaced the .dat file. What is that that Damon was talking about?

Now, I need to install the Dorset Coast, so if I open the .zip, and use the install directry of C:\ only, will it install correctly?

Thanks,

Status
Not open for further replies.