• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Problem with VT Booking Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guinness

Established Member
(Don't know whether right section but is ticket related!)

I'm trying to book tickets from Macclesfield to London for a 4 day trip and of course the WCML is shut meaning a slightly altered journey via Derby. I've used the Virgin Trains online booking site and came up with a price of £87.50 for 4 people (2 adults + 2 kids) on family railcard. I've tried several other sites included NRES but that seems to be dead buggy with multiple tickets selection and won't take me to the payment screen.

Anyway, once I've done the usual logging in with the VT website it takes me to the Delivery Page (Fastticket, postage via 1st class etc..) once I've selected my option and click contiune it then comes up with a Custom Error Page: https://www.buytickets.virgintrains.co.uk/CustomError.aspx

It's highly annoying and I've tried all different options, IE, Firefox, changing trains, ticketing method but nothing seems to work and all other retailer sites are quoting me ridiculous journeys and prices.

If anyone could advise me on the following journey then that would be great!

Outward:
Sat 2nd August
Travelling between 9:30 - 11.00am
2 Adults 2 Kids
1 Family Railcard
Preferable via Stoke/Derby minimal changes
Best price so far: Half Saver at £50ish

Return:
Wed 6th Aug
Travelling between 12.00 - 13.30
2 Adults 2 Kids
1 Family Railcard
Direct Train only please :)
Best Pic so far: Advance £35ish

TIA!8)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
All thetrainline sites are the same booking engine - but, AFAIK, only the Virgin one sells 'Saver half' fares.

But, if the saver half is £50 each way, then surely the saver return can only be £15 more overall (both ways)? which is under £4 per person and gives you complete flexibility, so I wonder if it is worth just getting a Saver? When the difference in fares is that small I think it is worth it, especially for your return journey as you may decide to come back a little earlier/later, including peak time with a railcard!

Unless they've changed it recently, NRES won't sell you a ticket - it just re-directs you to someone else.

John @ home

Established Member
All thetrainline sites are the same booking engine - but, AFAIK, only the Virgin one sells 'Saver half' fares.

But, if the saver half is £50 each way, then surely the saver return can only be £15 more overall (both ways)? which is under £4 per person and gives you complete flexibility, so I wonder if it is worth just getting a Saver? When the difference in fares is that small I think it is worth it, especially for your return journey as you may decide to come back a little earlier/later, including peak time with a railcard!

Unless they've changed it recently, NRES won't sell you a ticket - it just re-directs you to someone else.

My understanding is that a Virgin "Saver Half Return" is a single ticket at exactly half the Saver Return fare (and must be combined with an Advance Single in the other direction).

So if the Saver Half Return for a family is £50, the Saver Return will be £100.

John

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
My understanding is that a Virgin "Saver Half Return" is a single ticket at exactly half the Saver Return fare (and must be combined with an Advance Single in the other direction).

So if the Saver Half Return for a family is £50, the Saver Return will be £100.

John
Yep that's correct.

OwlMan

Established Member
Outbound

It is cheaper buying an Advance single from Uttoxeter

Foe Example:
Fares for 2 Adults + 2 children with railcard:
Macclesfield to Uttoxeter single 13.30
Uttoxeter to London St pancras advance £27-20 (available on110-57, 11-57, 12-57 departures)

Total £40-50

Guinness

Established Member
I think I've found a possible reason to why it was giving me a Custom Error. During the Reservation Page it wouldn't for some reason automatically book a reservation for the Advance Return ticket and was only giving me a 'Continue without Reservation' Button. Obviously with an Advance ticket you need a compulsory reservation so therefore the system just returned an error.

Solved it by purchasing a Saver Return, flexibility is nice.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Solved it by purchasing a Saver Return, flexibility is nice.
Yeah, probably the best choice.

Also, if there's chaos at Euston (not unheard of!) you have the flexibility to go to St Pancras!

Status
Not open for further replies.