• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Problems using BZ6 tickets on LNER services

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

nat67

Established Member
Totally wrong from LNER. I’ve had mixed experiences at Kings Cross, some excellent staff but also some who lack knowledge.

It is worth noting that a Boundary Zone 6 to Peterborough ticket is routed ‘Great Northern/Thameslink Only’. The Stevenage ticket is ‘Any Permitted’ and so valid in LNER.

Personally I wouldn’t get into conversations with staff about what train you’re going to catch. Sadly, in these days of poorly trained ticket office staff, it’s just asking for trouble.

Please do lodge a complaint with LNER about this.
Same here I have used a BZ6 to Stevenage before a few times. The ticket I had was a BZ to Hitchin permitted to be used on any train. The Hitchin ticket is the same price as Stevenage by the way.

One time I had one I got sold the wrong ticket because the ticket office person couldn't read that I was with someone younger than me and we had a Family railcard and issued me two adult returns.

class387

Established Member
I have received a reply from LNER:

Thank you for getting in touch with us at London North Eastern Railway.

We have been investigating with our Retail managers to confirm the findings without ticket and fare system. They have confirmed that the ticket is valid with LNER services and you were misadvised and should not have paid that fare.

I have been advised to offer you a sincere apology on behalf of the company for this. We will provide the retraining and a response to the relevant managers to have this rectified. If the issue happens again please contact us as we have official documentation that we can provide you by the Retail team should they wish to clarify this further.

They have also offered to reimburse the full cost of the incorrect ticket. Generally I am happy with this outcome - it is good that they have said that staff will be retrained to prevent it happening again.

Thank you all for the advice on this thread!

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
That’s a decent outcome. Certainly better than the film-flam you get from some TOCs.

island

Veteran Member
Good outcome.

It’s worth noting that Stevenage is the only station where this works. Boundary Zone 6 to Peterborough tickets are not valid on LNER.

Status
Not open for further replies.