• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Professional Driving Policy

Status
Not open for further replies.

DunfordBridge

Grease the flanges to keep noise down on the bends. Sometimes it spreads to the face of the wheel.
I could see why they might have wanted to do that with Pacer stock running but is it really such a good idea, be a bit pointless with the roar of a class 68? How does the grease straying from flanges affect adhesion once a few trains have passed over the spot?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Stigy

Established Member
I could see why they might have wanted to do that with Pacer stock running but is it really such a good idea, be a bit pointless with the roar of a class 68? How does the grease straying from flanges affect adhesion once a few trains have passed over the spot?
It’s okay for the most part to be honest, but there’s times when it’s completely random. I crawl in to Bath.

4F89

Without the grease, the noise would be horrific!

bengley

Established Member
The flange greasers aren't just to prevent noise. It's to reduce wear on the wheels and rails and prevent the possibility of flange climb

DunfordBridge

It’s okay for the most part to be honest, but there’s times when it’s completely random. I crawl in to Bath.

I have heard about drivers going into slides where least expected.

The flange greasers aren't just to prevent noise. It's to reduce wear on the wheels and rails and prevent the possibility of flange climb

Thanks, flange climb derailment is a new one on me.

Status
Not open for further replies.