• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

PROGRAMME ALERT - Railways: The Making Of A Nation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Envoy

Established Member
A programme called 'Railways: The Making Of A Nation’ is on BBC 1 tonight (28 Sep. 2016) at 7.30pm - NOT Wales, Scotland or NI. It looks like the English regions have different versions of this programme. On BBC 4 at 8pm on Thursday we have the same programme listed.

I am not sure what is happening. Does the BBC plan to broadcast all versions in the BBC 4 slot? One of the regional versions is also on the HD version of BBC 1 at 7.30pm tonight. I think that 6 of the programmes are new and 2 are repeats.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07xn9fv/broadcasts/upcoming

Historian Liz McIvor explores how Britain’s expanding rail network was the spark to a social revolution, starting in the 1800s and through to modern times.
Throughout the series Liz looks at how the railways were key to our modern world of speed, communication and inter-connectivity.
Each episode focuses on a different theme each episode, from Time, to Capitalism, Leisure and Food.
The first episode explores how a rail network is organised in a country made up of different local time zones and no recognised timetables.
Before the railways, Britain was divided and local time was proudly treasured.
Clocks in the west of the country were several minutes behind those set in the east.
The railway system wanted the country to step to a single beat, following Greenwich Meantime.
However, not everyone was keen to fall in line, and some complained about a new world dominated by a single time zone with precise schedules and timetables.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cuccir

Established Member
It looks like we have a 6 part series being shown on a weekly basis on BBC4, but with all episodes airing across different English regions on BBC1 tonight.

The BBC1 scheduling is odd - I presume the episodes feature examples and stations from those particular regions (which is implied in some of the episode descriptions and photographs). Maybe the programme has been co-funded by the different regions?

eMeS

Liz McIvor did an earlier series on canals - quite informative. My grandmother saw the Manchester Ship Canal being dug, told me about it when I was young, and Liz McIvor's series fleshed out the details with period photos etc.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
That sounds, from the description, like a repeat of a series that was shown about three months ago? I'm sure it was six parts then?

Blinder

A programme called 'Railways: The Making Of A Nation’ is on BBC 1 tonight (28 Sep. 2016) at 7.30pm - NOT Wales, Scotland or NI. It looks like the English regions have different versions of this programme. On BBC 4 at 8pm on Thursday we have the same programme listed.

I am not sure what is happening. Does the BBC plan to broadcast all versions in the BBC 4 slot? One of the regional versions is also on the HD version of BBC 1 at 7.30pm tonight. I think that 6 of the programmes are new and 2 are repeats.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07xn9fv/broadcasts/upcoming

How I read the information given in the radio Times (other publications are available!!!) is that the "regional programme" being shown tonight is as per our own region. The programme tomorrow night at 8pm is the "other" programme. So we (in the South-East) get the SE one tonight and the SW programmes tomorrow night at 8pm.. and V.V.

Iskra

Established Member
I found it quite interesting, but didn't really learn anything new (but then again, I studied this at university). It was mainly about how the railways changed the economics of food supply and agriculture and the subsequent effects on diet, hygiene, commerce and consumerism in urban areas. The railways brought a kind of domestic forewarning on the effects of globalisation.

There were lots of good pictures/shots of trains, many from the GCR, and some good contributions. This programme contained a lot more genuine substance, executed in a classier fashion when compared to the BBC Trainspotting Live business. Some interesting diversions too; on the history of fish and chips- which all Britons need to know.

One thing that was a bit strange was the inclusion of a piece on the Irish Famine's where it was claimed the British government was responsible for exporting food from Ireland during the time, which conveniently ignores that the Irish producers chose who to sell their food to. I'm not sure why such an Irish Nationalist view randomly cropped up in an obscure tangent.

I'm looking forward to the next instalments.

Last edited:

Condor7

I found it one of the most boring programs I've ever seen, made up of the female presenter constantly walking towards the camera while speaking each one from a different location. I'm sure I started to feel travel sick by the end :|

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
This page currently lists all the editions and where they are airing this week, plus the BBC Four ones over the next two weeks:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07xn9fv/broadcasts/2016/09

Looks like a few have a more specific regional focus with "Capitalism and Commerce" being fairly general and "Time" being for 'GWR-land'.

Up here in Yorkshire we got "Capitalism and Commerce" with the presenter mooching about underneath Ribblehead Viaduct talking about the building of the S&C. Nice to look at but nothing we've not heard already from Michael Portillo!

camperdown9

Chestfield, Kent & Chatillon Sur-Seine, Burgundy
Watched the "Food and Shopping" episode. Personally I thought it was more to do with the effects of the coming of the Railways rather than to do with trains/the Railways. Didn't think it was that exciting.

Wasn't there a very similar programme not so long ago, that was linked to the Open University?

Up here in Yorkshire we got "Capitalism and Commerce" with the presenter mooching about underneath Ribblehead Viaduct talking about the building of the S&C. Nice to look at but nothing we've not heard already from Michael Portillo!

Watched this episode on iPlayer the presenter said something about a graveyard being extended at the expense of the railway. I kept thinking to myself I heard this the other day...of course it was Michael Portillo!

Utterly boring and unwatchable.

Will give it a few more episodes but if it had of been an hour I am not sure I would of made it to the end.

Alex

D1009

Established Member
Watched the "Food and Shopping" episode. Personally I thought it was more to do with the effects of the coming of the Railways rather than to do with trains/the Railways. Didn't think it was that exciting.

Wasn't there a very similar programme not so long ago, that was linked to the Open University?
If by that you mean Full Steam Ahead, I thought that was very good.

w0033944

Just giving it a go on the iPlayer. I'm sure she's a very good academic historian, and I applaud using a female expert who isn't a conventional ravishing beauty, but she reminds me of the priest in the Father Ted episode with the "largest lingerie department in Ireland" who has the most boring voice in the country. She seems very stilted, and, when on camera, seems to have an unfortunate habit of pulling her head back at the end of her excerpts as though she disapproves of something the cameraman's doing or as though she's a petulant teenager. From what I've seen so far, they've managed to make a fascinating subject incredibly dull. I also wonder why she's combined a woman's hairstyle from the 1860s with men's clothes from forty years earlier (not that I'm some kind of historical fashion expert, but I've seen photos of Victorian women and illustrations of Regency gents).

As I type, suddenly Bradshaw appears; muscling-in on Portillo's territory?

bnm

Established Member
Oh dear. A female presenter. So we have to criticise how she looks. Jeez. :roll:

So, for balance, what about Wolmar in the 'Commerce' episode? Attempting the 'mad scientist' look. ;)

Shaw S Hunter

Established Member
Watched the "local" (North West) edition on the iPlayer covering "Age of Leisure" and it was quite reasonable. People who are into trains rather than railways may be disappointed as the series is clearly about the contribution of railways to the country's social history. At the end of it the iPlayer autoplayed into the "London" edition about commuting. Bottom line is if you find it of any interest then all six episodes are already available on the iPlayer.

Talking of which a subsequent browse of the iPlayer led me to a programme not mentioned on here for about three years so worth a plug: "Engines Must Not Enter The Potato Siding" which was made by the BBC way back in 1969! Vaguely centred on Sheffield it includes contemporary footage of the Woodhead route and a number of interviews with front-line railstaff (but absolutely no managers), both current and retired. Absolutely reeks of nostalgia but in a good way as it is contemporary to then as opposed to something made today which looks back with misty eyes through rose-coloured lenses. Highly recommended but younger members should note the date; colour tv was very much a new fangled thing in 1969 and only available on BBC2 so this is all black and white.

damo44

I've enjoyed the two viewed so far - the ones about Railway Time and Class. I haven't learnt a huge amount, but as I know a bit about railway history (like many on this forum) and have watched numerous other tv programmes about railways, perhaps that isn't a surprise.

I watched Liz McIvor's earlier series on canals and I actually find her a quite an engaging presenter. A calm, measured style and thankfully far removed from the excitable Peter Snow's recent effort.

Last edited:
Watched some episodes, and the commuter edition was interesting featuring London Bridge, but the very loud annoying music is totally unnecessary. Looking forward to the others hopefully with less music.

Status
Not open for further replies.