• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Progress of delivery of cascaded/refurbished/PRM modified stock to TFW/Wales and Borders

Status
Not open for further replies.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
I hugely doubt that would happen. Theres allsorts of mismatch sets but to put them back now doesnt achieve anything and causes all sorts of issues exam and overhaul schedules. Chances are barring further faults/accident damage to more than one set at a time they will stay as they are until withdrawal

You would have to get them all together in the same place (Chester Depot) at the same time.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sd0733

Established Member
150281 is now back at Canton after being released from Crewe last night with an overnight stop in Shrewsbury.
On the 158s it looks like 822 is now in for refurb. It finished in Crewe a number of days ago and hasnt been out since.

anthony263

Established Member
This taken from wnxx looks like the 143s might stay into 2021

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200801-144746_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200801-144746_Chrome.jpg
    703.9 KB · Views: 122

anthony263

Established Member
I won't be surprised to see the last 143s start to get withdrawn as the new tfw stock starts arriving

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Praying that 175115 is next to get refurbished after 175116. Currently on it on the 1507 Milford Haven to Manchester and the interior is disgusting. Windows are full of condensation, brown stains around the windows, fabric on the inside walls all brown and stained, just generally a horrible mess!

Anonymous10

Established Member
Praying that 175115 is next to get refurbished after 175116. Currently on it on the 1507 Milford Haven to Manchester and the interior is disgusting. Windows are full of condensation, brown stains around the windows, fabric on the inside walls all brown and stained, just generally a horrible mess!
Saw that one before I think it is in need of a refurb

Cardiff123

Established Member
I personally don't think the 175's are that bad just a little tired, the 158's early in the ATW franchise were bad. Mismatched & filthy seat cover, some seats had no covers just stains. Then there was the carpets so dirty they made your feet stick to them.
My favourite parts was the flee infestations of the units & cabs....

It's a shame the travelling public don't put rubbish in the bins provided & treat the trains with a bit of respect. This is the main cause of the messy trains to be honest not really TFWs fault
Arriva left the 175s to TfW in an appalling state interally, whilst actually refurbing the 150s and even refreshing the Pacers in the last year before it left. TfW can't be blamed for the state of it's unrefurbished 175s.

Nick Ashwell

Arriva left the 175s to TfW in an appalling state interally, whilst actually refurbing the 150s and even refreshing the Pacers in the last year before it left. TfW can't be blamed for the state of it's unrefurbished 175s.
Arriva refurbed the 150s? I recall them being left in awful condition at the end of the franchise.....

Parallel

Established Member
Arriva refurbed the 150s? I recall them being left in awful condition at the end of the franchise.....
Most 150s were refreshed towards the end of the ATW franchise. This included repainting and new seat covers as far as I know.

Caaardiff

Wasn't it only flooring that was replaced with the PRM mods?
They still have Arriva seat covers and arriva green colours.
I'm guessing the seats and colours will be done when they start going in for refresh at the end of this month.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
The covid situation has unfortunately delayed the 175 refurbishment program, hopefully the units will start going to Widnes in the near future. TFW couldn't really antispate this crisis delaying the program

The 175s have still been going through Widnes pretty consistently during COVID. There is one there now, 175116. The 175/0s have all been completed

Nick Ashwell

Most 150s were refreshed towards the end of the ATW franchise. This included repainting and new seat covers as far as I know.
That was done by the Welsh government wasn't it? Arriva had no reason to do anything so did the bare minimum to see the franchise out

JakeMurphy

I saw 158838 in Crewe CS yesterday so I guess that might be in for interior returb?

Parallel

Established Member
That was done by the Welsh government wasn't it? Arriva had no reason to do anything so did the bare minimum to see the franchise out
I can't speak for the 150s but this was before they were fitted with PIS. Arriva themselves did pay for the 142/143 refresh, which included new seat covers, some repainting and a deep clean. That said, even after the deep clean, the units still weren't as clean as GWR's examples...

Cardiff123

Established Member
Arriva refreshed nearly all of the interiors of their 150s in the last 2-3 years of their franhcise at Arriva train care in Crewe as part of the 150s C6 overhauls.
New flooring, panelling, seat covers and re-firming, interior painting, deep cleaning etc. Not every single 150 was done interanlly to the same standard but the majority were.
Judging by this page it looks like the work was funded by Porterbrook.

Welsh Govt funded the fitting of WiFi to the Pacers, 150s and ATW 153s, but as Parallel said, Arriva funded the internal refresh and deep clean of the Pacers themselves. No idea why as they didn't have any reason to.

Last edited:

ValleyLines142

Established Member
I personally don't think the 175's are that bad just a little tired, the 158's early in the ATW franchise were bad. Mismatched & filthy seat cover, some seats had no covers just stains. Then there was the carpets so dirty they made your feet stick to them.
My favourite parts was the flee infestations of the units & cabs....

It's a shame the travelling public don't put rubbish in the bins provided & treat the trains with a bit of respect. This is the main cause of the messy trains to be honest not really TFWs fault

A little tired?! :lol: think that's a slightly underestimation there.

ATW left the 175s in an appalling state. Thankfully now they're in the middle of being done.

St. Paddy

All I've seen is the grand Central stock coming out of Widnes recently, I've not seen any shiny 175's recently to be honest.
All the 175/0s have been refreshed and the second 175/1 is currently being done. Seems they’re going through at regular intervals one at a time. Have a scroll back through this thread if you’re inclined, it’s been well reported.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Just a reminder this thread is to discuss Progress of delivery of cascaded/refurbished/PRM modified stock to TFW/Wales and Borders and please keep things as civil as possible, thanks :)

Last edited:

ValleyLines142

Established Member
I just wonder how you classify appalling ? My personal observation is they look tired, they have worn seat covers none are missing or ripped. They have worn carpets but not missing areas of carpets, it's my observation & view that appalling is an extreme view but thats my view from what I've seen.
The 175 fleet get regular deep cleaning & internal faults diagnosed get fixed pretty quick.
My definition of appalling obviously differs from yours

They look dirty. Yes they may not be ripped or missing covers but when passengers are paying nearly £100 for a return from Cardiff to Manchester it doesn't give off a very good impression.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.