• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Progress on Avanti West Coast's 805/807s Hitachi AT300 sets

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

themiller

I shouldn't imagine that the 'build time' (as in hours at each assembly stage) would be significantly different to a normal 800, but the first few through will no doubt be slower as they check and adapt processes (and validate the design!)
Would the delay to the Avanti units be to allow type approval of the EMR ones as they have different bodies (24m against 26m of the remaining varieties)?

Domh245

Established Member
Would the delay to the Avanti units be to allow type approval of the EMR ones as they have different bodies (24m against 26m of the remaining varieties)?

Yeah, I expect that is what they're doing. It's more than just the vehicle length that's different, making testing & approval all the more relevant prior to full production

RealTrains07

Established Member
A picture is going around facebook of some newly delivered bodyshells of what looks to be hitachi units?

Would these be 805 and 807 bodyshells?

hexagon789

Veteran Member
A picture is going around facebook of some newly delivered bodyshells of what looks to be hitachi units?

Would these be 805 and 807 bodyshells?
Could be 805 shells, the first 807 shells arrived last July though that might not be all of those. Any details on where the shells were photographed - at port, at a manufacturing works, etc?

RealTrains07

Established Member
Could be 805 shells, the first 807 shells arrived last July though that might not be all of those. Any details on where the shells were photographed - at port, at a manufacturing works, etc?
They were photographed at no long after arriving at Southampton port

Domh245

Established Member
I've read there are more EMR ones here now, unless it was those rather than Avanti perhaps?

EMR bodyshells are being welded together at Newton Aycliffe, so any shells arriving will have been Avanti (though around half of the Avanti shells are also being welded together at N.A.)

hexagon789

Veteran Member
EMR bodyshells are being welded together at Newton Aycliffe, so any shells arriving will have been Avanti (though around half of the Avanti shells are also being welded together at N.A.)
Must re-read the piece again, I assumed it referred to arriving EMR bodyshells rather than construction but I've likely misinterpreted part of it.

greatvoyager

Established Member
Seen on Facebook two driving car bodyshells being moved by road, reported as numbered 861012 and 861013.

GC class B1

Does anyone know whether the cracking problems experienced on the class 800 bolsters are being addressed on the 805 and 807s before completion.

100andthirty

Does anyone know whether the cracking problems experienced on the class 800 bolsters are being addressed on the 805 and 807s before completion.
If I were the representing Avanti and/or the funder (ROSCO) I would insist on not accepting any units unless the root cause of the cracking is understood and resolved on "my" units.

D365

Veteran Member
If I were the representing Avanti and/or the funder (ROSCO) I would insist on not accepting any units unless the root cause of the cracking is understood and resolved on "my" units.
You can be assured that will certainly be the case with all further deliveries of AT300 units.

The Prisoner

Skie

The original roadmap had the first units entering service in May 2022 and all in service by the end of the year. The Liverpool service going half hourly depends on this and that is still due to happen in December 2022 given the recent Merseytravel meeting where the extension of platforms at Liverpool South Parkway was raised.

ItCouldBeJae

Hi all, any update on the progress of these units. I suppose the May 2022 window is long gone and probably heading to end of the year/2023

Established Member
Hi all, any update on the progress of these units. I suppose the May 2022 window is long gone and probably heading to end of the year/2023
Certainly not May, none are complete at Newton Aycliffe and none have been seen outside the factory on testing yet.