• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Promise To Pay and Day Rangers

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave87016

Established Member
Hi all my nearest station is unstaffed and doesn't have a booking office however it does have a TVM , if I plan on getting a day ranger if I get a Promise To Pay Ticket to the nearest station with a booking office do I have to pay for that journey aswell or would it be valid to get me through the barriers and to the booking office to get my Day Ranger ( the Day Ranger covers the area from the unstaffed station which I boarded and the nearest station with a ticket office

Many thanks in advance for any replies much appreciated

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sonic2009

Established Member
If you cannot purchase the ticket you require from the TVM, then purchase at the first available opportunity, whether this be the guard on the train or the barrier line.

lyndhurst25

Established Member
Although, during the convoluted process to get a TVM to issue a P2P ticket, you have to select a destination station, that station isn't printed on the ticket: the only information printed is the origin station and time / date of issue. You can in fact select any random destination station that you choose!

Exchange your P2P for the Day Ranger at the first available opportunity and, if it is valid for your journey from the origin station, then you shouldn't be expected to buy an additional ticket. You also shouldn't be expected to break or delay your journey at the next station with a ticket office to buy your ranger, unless you were going to do so anyway. As above: buy the ticket on the train or at your destination.

Last edited:

Traintripper

I had this query a few months ago whilst wanting to do a Ffestiniog round robin. I felt very apprenshive about getting on a train with no ticket, but it was absolutely fine, the guard came up to me and I just bought it off him. No queries, no problems, no fuss.
What I don’t understand is why can you not just buy rangers and rovers online, like virtually every other ticket, it doesn’t make sense to me.
Enjoy your day out

dave87016

Established Member
I had this query a few months ago whilst wanting to do a Ffestiniog round robin. I felt very apprenshive about getting on a train with no ticket, but it was absolutely fine, the guard came up to me and I just bought it off him. No queries, no problems, no fuss.
What I don’t understand is why can you not just buy rangers and rovers online, like virtually every other ticket, it doesn’t make sense to me.
Enjoy your day out

Cheers TrainTripper the number of times on Northern I have attempted to buy day rangers from the guards they either don’t know how to issue them or can’t be bothered and say get it when you get off or on the next train

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Enjoy your day out
I think the direct answer is because the ToD (ticket on departure) system used for collecting train tickets doesn't support rovers and rangers. Why is this? Presumably it's either seen as costing more than the benefits of increased sales (i.e. a considered decision), or perhaps it simply has never been thought about when ToD was introduced.

furlong

Established Member
It can be done - London Overground has had machines that sell them for a couple of years now.

Established Member
The last time I saw a thread about Rovers (few years ago now) it was said that there was a company policy that Northern guards were not supposed to issue them. Not sure if this still stands.

Cheers TrainTripper the number of times on Northern I have attempted to buy day rangers from the guards they either don’t know how to issue them or can’t be bothered and say get it when you get off or on the next train

Established Member
If you cannot purchase the ticket you require from the TVM, then purchase at the first available opportunity, whether this be the guard on the train or the barrier line.

That's fine in a non-penalty fare zone but in a Northern penalty fare zone you should get a promise to pay or single to your interchange. I'd go for the former although the cost of the single would be deducted from the cost of the day ranger / rover at an interchange station, if it is in the penalty fare zone.

Status
Not open for further replies.