• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Promise to Pay - Is it valid on Merseyrail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vespa

Established Member
You can't. E-ticket and M-ticket fulfilment are blocked for all journeys involving Merseyrail.

Yet you can buy them on train line or trainsplit showing merseyrail stations, logic would dictate as a participating TOC, its a valid ticket.

As mentioned above others have used it on merseyrail.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Yet you can buy them on train line or trainsplit showing merseyrail stations, logic would dictate as a participating TOC, its a valid ticket.

As mentioned above others have used it on merseyrail.

You can't. They would fulfil as ToD only.

There might be some obscure stuff with obscure Permitted Routes that happen to include Merseyrail that will fulfil as e-ticket, and those are therefore valid. But with Merseyrail being tucked in a corner away from everything else, it's unlikely there will be many.

Vespa

Established Member
You can't. They would fulfil as ToD only.

There might be some obscure stuff with obscure Permitted Routes that happen to include Merseyrail that will fulfil as e-ticket, and those are therefore valid. But with Merseyrail being tucked in a corner away from everything else, it's unlikely there will be many.

Show me where it says etickets cannot be used on Merseyrail.

Other posters on here said they've used etickets on Merseyrail.

Please give me a link that states categorically Merseyrail will not accept etickets.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Show me where it says etickets cannot be used on Merseyrail.

Other posters on here said they've used etickets on Merseyrail.

Please give me a link that states categorically Merseyrail will not accept etickets.

I'm not saying they will not accept them. I'm saying you won't get one issued for a journey on Merseyrail other than obscurities. Any flows I've come across involving Merseyrail are set to issue on ToD only.

Vespa

Established Member
I've had a go as you suggested on Trainsplit, seems that its set to TOD, the only way round seems to be is to buy etickets originating outside Merseyrail or the day rover.

Interesting.
What is obsecurities anyway ?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I've had a go as you suggested on Trainsplit, seems that its set to TOD, the only way round seems to be is to buy etickets originating outside Merseyrail or the day rover.

I personally haven't even been able to buy one originating outside Merseyside, either - the only one seems to be their own day-rover from their own site.

What is obsecurities anyway ?

Obscurities are "odd" things. One example might be if Southport to Manchester is valid via Liverpool (I don't know if it is or not, just using it as an example), you might be able to get an e-ticket based on selecting a journey via Wigan on Northern but it would still be valid via Liverpool using Merseyrail, though that's quite obscure as almost nobody is going to actually do that. However if you selected a journey involving Merseyrail on purchase it would only allow ToD. This was quite common in the early days of e- and m-tickets when some TOCs were OK with them and others wouldn't, for instance around here you could get one by selecting Virgin but then using it on LM.

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
You can't. E-ticket and M-ticket fulfilment are blocked for all journeys involving Merseyrail.
To be a little pedantic, it's controlled by ticket rather than by journey. For example, it's possible to buy tickets that include travel on Merseyrail but are not specifically to Merseyrail stations. For example, a Birmingham to Liverpool SVS is valid via Chester, and can be issued as an e-ticket.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
To be a little pedantic, it's controlled by ticket rather than by journey. For example, it's possible to buy tickets that include travel on Merseyrail but are not specifically to Merseyrail stations. For example, a Birmingham to Liverpool SVS is valid via Chester, and can be issued as an e-ticket.

Thanks. So what would be blocked is anything that starts or ends at a Merseyrail station? Fits with my "obscurities" line I suppose, as with Merseyrail being hidden away on a couple of peninsulas there are relatively few cases where you'd travel via it - I doubt for example anyone "normal" would go Birmingham to Liverpool via Chester unless there was disruption via Runcorn.

Does the situation no longer apply that it can be blocked by TOC too, as used to be the case? I know locally for a long time you could get one if you selected a VT journey but not a LM one, for the same fare.

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
Thanks. So what would be blocked is anything that starts or ends at a Merseyrail station? Fits with my "obscurities" line I suppose, as with Merseyrail being hidden away on a couple of peninsulas there are relatively few cases where you'd travel via it - I doubt for example anyone "normal" would go Birmingham to Liverpool via Chester unless there was disruption via Runcorn.

Does the situation no longer apply that it can be blocked by TOC too, as used to be the case? I know locally for a long time you could get one if you selected a VT journey but not a LM one, for the same fare.

Yes - most tickets are not allowed to be issued as e-tickets where they originate or terminate at Merseyrail stations. I am not aware of any TOC restrictions on the selling of e-tickets, but I'm not an expert on that subject.

paul1609

Established Member
I'm no expert but it appears to me that whether an e ticket is available is down to the originating and destination station. From Appledore (Kent) ( Southern/no barriers) to Portsmouth Stations and Fratton (SWR/ barriers with barcode) I can buy an e ticket. From Appledore to Littlehampton (Southern/ barriers no barcode) I cant, same to everything London Terminals or "+" (South Eastern/Southern/ Thameslink, barriers mostly without barcode).

alistairlees

Established Member
I'm not saying they will not accept them. I'm saying you won't get one issued for a journey on Merseyrail other than obscurities. Any flows I've come across involving Merseyrail are set to issue on ToD only.
This isn't correct - at least some are in the data as being fulfillable to eTicket, such as a West Kirby (WKI) to Leeds (LDS) Anytime Day Single (SDS) route "Any Permitted". It's probably a mistake, but there you go. If someone wants to discuss this more, probably best to put in a new thread now, as somewhat off-topic for "Disputes and Prosecutions" thread about Promise to Pay on Merseyrail.

Wallsendmag

Established Member
This isn't correct - at least some are in the data as being fulfillable to eTicket, such as a West Kirby (WKI) to Leeds (LDS) Anytime Day Single (SDS) route "Any Permitted". It's probably a mistake, but there you go. If someone wants to discuss this more, probably best to put in a new thread now, as somewhat off-topic for "Disputes and Prosecutions" thread about Promise to Pay on Merseyrail.
Every batch of eTickets I've enabled or authorized RDG to enable has specifically mentioned no flows involving MerseyRail to be included.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Of course what this encourages is:

1. People to buy tickets from their ticket offices, netting them the commission;
or
2. People buying an e-ticket for the majority of their journey and a Merseyrail connection separately.

These days probably mostly (2). Which conveniently gets them rather more money than they get from a through booking.

How they can be allowed to continue to do this makes the mind boggle.

Status
Not open for further replies.