• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Promotional Campaign : "Britain Runs on Rail"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WatcherZero

Established Member
Isnt that their job? Wouldn't you be more surprised if it didn't paint a rosy picture?

JB_B

Established Member
Isnt that their job? Wouldn't you be more surprised if it didn't paint a rosy picture?

Of course I'd be surprised if it didn't paint a rosy picture. Hence the "As you'd expect..." Nevertheless, not all consumers of RDG members' offerings will share their optimism without qualification. (Certainly not down here in GTR-land.)

WatcherZero

Established Member
That's like saying McDonalds may be advertising the quality of their burgers but not everyone will agree.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I think it's a positive step. The rail industry should be blowing it's trumpet about how vital it is to the country.

In the past, the railway has been too willing to fit around a motor-centric agenda and it's good if the railway will fight it's corner.

oliMw

Sounds like the Dunkin Doughnuts slogan in America - 'America runs on Dunkin'..

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
That's fine, if they are speaking the truth.

But, while slogans like "Britain's rail companies working together" should be true, they often aren't. I'd like to see substantial penalties for train companies who give the entire industry a bad name.

They also have some inaccuracies on their website.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
On fares matters at least, they can't possibly. We call it "collusion". :lol:
True, there are circumstances in which they are not allowed to work together! Ironically, there is evidence that sometimes they do, when they are not allowed to (e.g. the Newark to London routeing guide change scandal).

In contrast, there are some circumstances when they should be working together (e.g. helping passengers when a delay has occurred) but sometimes do not.

They really should not be making such bold claims if it doesn't reflect reality!

CheesyChips

A little more rosy than the incredibly humble "we're getting there" from back in the 1980s :)

Attachments

• IMG_2986.JPG
    IMG_2986.JPG
    9.8 KB · Views: 37

yorksrob

Veteran Member
A little more rosy than the incredibly humble "we're getting there" from back in the 1980s :)

Nothing wrong with "We're getting there". Sensible and well measured, given the circumstances of the time , leading up to "Britain's Railway".

Actually, it would be interesting to see the current railway re-make a version of the Concerto ad. They wouldn't be able to recreate the iconic slam doors opening at the end though !

hassaanhc

Established Member

Attachments

• 20160925_110308.jpg
    20160925_110308.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I like the use of the double arrows in the poster. Suggests continuity of purpose through the ages.

Established Member
Sounds like the Dunkin Doughnuts slogan in America - 'America runs on Dunkin'..

America may well soon be run by a doughnut.

I like the use of the double arrows in the poster. Suggests continuity of purpose through the ages.

The double arrow is one of the most iconic symbols ever designed. I'd guess even many non rail users at least know what industry it refers to.

Last edited:

yorksrob

Veteran Member
The double arrow is one of the most iconic symbols ever designed. I'd guess even many non rail users at least know what industry it refers to.

Well, it's still the one symbol you see at every station on the national network.

In truth, I think it's been a bit neglected since privatisation, so it's good to see it being used for promotion. I've mentioned it on threads before, but the other thing I would like the campaign to include would be installing maps of the national network at every station (and perhaps having them available in leaflet form to passengers as they used to be).

Status
Not open for further replies.