• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Proof of Age for Northern Explorer 55 Ranger

Status
Not open for further replies.

westv

Established Member
You can see why so many countries have national identity cards. It makes these sorts of "proof of age" situations so much easier.
Eh? Why pay for an ID card when you can just pay for a more useful passport?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

westv

Established Member
Marital status for a driving licence? I wasn't aware of that.

As I've no intention of driving again surely I don't need an updated licence. I'm not understanding.
Only need to change at marriage if you change your name.

alistairlees

Established Member
Marital status for a driving licence? I wasn't aware of that.

As I've no intention of driving again surely I don't need an updated licence. I'm not understanding.
If you have changed address then you need to update it. Details for various scenarios are on https://www.gov.uk/exchange-paper-driving-licence. It may be quite useful for other things to have a photocard licence. But anyway, why don't you try going to the station with your current paper one and buying the ticket anyway?

hooverboy

On Moderation
Only need to change at marriage if you change your name.
edit: I should have clarified

more important generally for females as it is usually their maiden surname that is changed to the marital one.
Not unheard of for men to take the female spouses surname,but not that common either.

In any case, with change of surname (or change by deed poll), then the licence needs updating.

paddington

If you don't drive you don't need to do anything.

I suggest you buy the ticket for a future date (go to several stations if necessary/possible) and if they really don't want to sell it to you then you have time to try getting photo ID.

In most countries ID cards are cheaper (also mostly compulsory while passports aren't), and like the OP who doesn't see a reason to pay for a passport as he doesn't intend to leave the UK again, why pay more for a passport if you only want to travel to countries which will admit you with an ID card?

The US and Ireland do not have ID cards, but they have passport cards.

Joe Paxton

Established Member
You really do need to invest in something to prove your age. I'm surprised that you have survived "off-grid" for so long. It sounds to me that the cheapest most effective approach would be to get a replacement driving licence incorporating a photo.

Why ?

Joe Paxton

Established Member

transmanche

Established Member
You can see why so many countries have national identity cards.
In many countries, an ID card is all you need to visit other nearby countries. E.g. at present EU citizens only need their national ID card to visit the UK - they don't need a passport.

Even in the US has a 'passport card' that can be used for travel within North America and the Caribbean - and is cheaper than a 'proper' passport.

benk1342

The US and Ireland do not have ID cards, but they have passport cards.

And most if not all US states have voluntary state issued ID cards for people that do not have driving licences that are cheaper or free, as photo ID is widely required in the US (for example buying alcohol).

WesternLancer

Established Member
If the government gets its way, soon you won't be allowed to vote in GB if you don't have photo ID.
Pretty sure that is not true - in the places where they did the ID voter trials they had plenty of types of ID on the approved list that did not have photos

eg Derby
Derby's Voter ID pilot means that electors voting at their polling station on 2 May must produce some form of acceptable Identification (ID) before they are given a ballot paper. Voters will need either one form of photo ID or two forms of non-photo ID. Voters will not be able to vote without providing ID.

from
https://www.derby.gov.uk/council-and-democracy/councillors-democracy-elections/register-vote-guide/

johnnychips

Established Member
I’ve used quite a lot of TPE Club 55 tickets and never been asked for age proof despite ticket checks on most trains.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Pretty sure that is not true - in the places where they did the ID voter trials they had plenty of types of ID on the approved list that did not have photos

eg Derby
Derby's Voter ID pilot means that electors voting at their polling station on 2 May must produce some form of acceptable Identification (ID) before they are given a ballot paper. Voters will need either one form of photo ID or two forms of non-photo ID. Voters will not be able to vote without providing ID.

from
https://www.derby.gov.uk/council-and-democracy/councillors-democracy-elections/register-vote-guide/
Those were the trials. The Queen's Speech said that photo ID would be required.

ASharpe

edit: I should have clarified

more important generally for females as it is usually their maiden surname that is changed to the marital one.
Not unheard of for men to take the female spouses surname,but not that common either.

In any case, with change of surname (or change by deed poll), then the licence needs updating.

Even if a woman doesn't change her name she might want to get it updated to change the Miss to Mrs.

I've no idea why they never print Mr.

krus_aragon

Established Member
Hmmmm...? I wonder what would be required if I changed my sex? :)
The law requires a change of name if you change your gender (as a friend of mine with a gender-neutral name learned recently), so you'd definitely need a new license.

Status
Not open for further replies.