• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Proof-reading the PTT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
If only BR had done that with their fares manuals. As a fare paying passenger / frequent traveller I used to come across many anomalies! I dread to think how many there were in total.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D1009

Established Member
If only BR had done that with their fares manuals. As a fare paying passenger / frequent traveller I used to come across many anomalies! I dread to think how many there were in total.

Whether you're referring to genuine errors there or anomalies I'm not sure, but if anomalies, if you thought it was bad under BR, look at the current situation!

To go back on topic, for many years the NRT was a feature of many secretaries/PA's bookshelf, but it hardly ever left the bookshelf because the boss used to either travel by car or (latterly) used on-line journey planners which were easier to use. This is why the sales figures of the NRT were so high. The only reason it still exists is that it is an NR licence requirement. This was recently modified so it only needed to be posted on the web.

So the most regular actual users of it were in fact enthusiasts who need to know ALL the trains, not just the ones on which they intended to travel. When this happened Middleton Press and others have been able to make a go of it as a printed publication still, albeit at an increased price. As has been mentioned its press date is a long way in advance of the timetale change date, and many TOCs are still fine tuning their timetables after consultations with train crew representatives etc, and even some making significant changes after press date as a result of access rights being granted or refused, which means it can never be as accurate as on-line journey planners which even show short-term alterations for engineering work. That in a nutshell is why Network Rail allocate so little resource to it and if it's mainly enthusiasts who use it, why not ask for their help in producing it ?

DownSouth

Established Member
That in a nutshell is why Network Rail allocate so little resource to it and if it's mainly enthusiasts who use it, why not ask for their help in producing it ?
I don't think it's a notice specifically to enthusiasts as it's on the bottom of the front page, only this discussion about it is in a location frequented by enthusiasts.

A call for public feedback on something like this is a good thing. After all, internal opinions can only yield so much useful feedback when the timetable should be made for the public, not the public made for the timetable.

I made an application to do some proof reading, and the girl said that successful applicants would be notified after June 15th. I've heard nothing - has anyone else heard anything? If I'm not being considered, it would be nice to be told.

caliwag

Huh...I have a retired mate who was payed, seasonally, to do this for a TOC for their free booklets...Mr Eagle-eye by all accounts...a new manager joined and asked why this person was employed...got rid of him to leave the booklets riddled with errors. Typical, a little knowledge and all that!

Ivo

Established Member
I've just had an e-mail stating the following:

I am pleased to inform you that your application for ‘’Feedback on NRT’’ has been accepted and we are glad to have you on board. With your knowledge and experience we aim to produce a more reliable and accurate National Rail Timetable.

They have identified the following dates:

Distribution of Draft Dec 2012 NRT via email: August 22nd
Feedback expected by and to [email protected]: September 7th
Distribution of Final Dec 2012 NRT via email: October 19th
Feedback expected by and to [email protected]: October 29th

Quite a narrow margin for the Final Version if you ask me - only ten days. Granted, most of the revisions should have been identified well before then, but should anything alarming happen afterwards things will be needlessly tight.

For the record, I applied for the following TTs:

1 London, Tilbury and Southend services
4 Upminster to Romford
5 Southend Victoria to London Liverpool Street
11 Great Eastern Main Line services
51 CrossCountry services
57 Nottingham, Derby and Leicester to Bristol and Cardiff
116 Great Western Turbo routes via Oxford or Newbury
117 London to Reading stopping services
123 Wessex Main Line services
125 Great Western Main Line services
126 London Paddington to Oxford, Worcester and Hereford
130 Valley Lines services
132 Cardiff Central to Gloucester, Bristol and Bath
133 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
134 Gloucester to Taunton
135 London Paddington and Birmingham New Street to Devon and Cornwall
149 Windsor Lines services

Yep, I got the same thing today too. My message also said...

In addition, the Working Timetable (WTT) will also be available on the Network Rail’s Website...

That must be a first. I'm guessing that only the proof-readers will get access to the WTT, rather than the great Joe Public.
I've asked to do Tables 26, 51, 53, 65, 125, 126 & 135.

stuart

A few years ago, a Scotrail timetable offered travellers on the Glasgow - Cumbernauld route the dubious facility of a "trolley service of cold snakes, sandwiches and hot and cold drinks ..."

And was there not a famous edition of the WAGN timetable with "Arlesey" mis-spelt, which quickly became a collectors' item?

And they want to stop this sort of thing?

Ivo

Established Member
I've received seventeen e-mails this morning in relation to this material. There is a deadline of late next month (the 26th I think).

Might take a while :p

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Seventeen! I thought I had a lot to read with the seven that I got sent :shock:

Out of curiosity is the person we're supposed to send any feedback to the same that sent us the extracts? The emails say that it should be sent to the Planning Team Contact (and CC'd to a generic address) but I haven't got the foggiest clue who that's supposed to be.

Last edited:

IanD

Established Member
I got 16.

There's some interesting notes for some of the services:

G Forms tight booked connection out of 1H13.

Not sure if these need reporting or are just WIP.

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Puts me in mind of the time that the first Leeds - Bradford - Blackpool service on a Sunday had a note saying it started from Neville Hill TMD.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
There is a deadline of late next month (the 26th I think).

The previous email gave a deadline of 07/09.

Last edited:

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
If they want to do this again then I presume they'll put a note in the front of the published timetable advising of this requirement and details of how to apply. So, it's too early to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.