• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

'Proper' Summer on its way...

Status
Not open for further replies.

michael769

Established Member
They just said on the Countryfile forecast that the weather is going to turn poor again at the end of next week, just in time for the Olympics. That's not what they were saying the other day.

Actually that is exactly what the professional weather forecasters at the met office who provide the BBC's forecasts were saying the other day as valenta correctly pointed out in his post in this thread on the 17th.

The unqualified amateurs who make money selling groundless and exaggerated rubbish dressed up as forecasts to the newspapers and using the FUD generated to drive traffic to their websites may have been saying something different, but it really annoys me when their garbage is then used it to smear the pros who actually do a very good job when it comes to getting it right (as they have done with this short lived warm spell!)

http://www.monbiot.com/2012/06/15/storm-warning/ may open your eyes a bit.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SS4

Established Member
Actually that is exactly what the professional weather forecasters at the met office who provide the BBC's forecasts were saying the other day as valenta correctly pointed out in his post in this thread on the 17th.

The unqualified amateurs who make money selling groundless and exaggerated rubbish dressed up as forecasts to the newspapers and using the FUD generated to drive traffic to their websites may have been saying something different, but it really annoys me when their garbage is then used it to smear the pros who actually do a very good job when it comes to getting it right (as they have done with this short lived warm spell!)

http://www.monbiot.com/2012/06/15/storm-warning/ may open your eyes a bit.

So professionals use opinion words in their scientific work. Not exactly professional.

Oswyntail

Established Member
So professionals use opinion words in their scientific work. Not exactly professional.
I think you a re confusing the two professions involved here. When speaking as a professional meteorologist, a term such as "poor" would indeed be improper. However, speaking as a television presenter (the other half of their dual role), their professionalism demands that they communicate in terms readily understood buy their audience in the time available. The weather forecasts are not "scientific work", they are television programmes based on scientific work.

valenta

Well a few days of humid weather has resulted in thunderstorms for Newcastle. The worst one being yesterday with torrential rain coupled with severe thunder, causing major problems for the metro system. I left work early this afternoon in order to avoid being stranded, however I found myself driving straight into a storm, but the worst of it appears to be over now.

Status
Not open for further replies.