• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Proportion of diesel worked services on WCML

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve14

I was not aware that Reading was on the West Coast Main Line. A Reading to Manchester service would clearly join the West Coast system at Birmingham and then run on the electrified former L&NWR/NSR main line to its destination.

There are a number of lines the Reading to Manchester uses which clearly depicts it isn't part of the WCML lol:

- GWML (up to Didcot)
- Cherwell Valley Line (up to Banbury)
- Chiltern Main Line (up past Small Heath, Birmingham)
- Camp Hill Line (to Birmingham NS)

After all that, it joins the WCML towards Wolves. It would be interesting to see what other route could be used if there were major infrastructure works being carried out north of Birmingham.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D6975

Established Member
I'm not an expert, but I believe that trains do record the actual amount of power used, however the TOCs/FOCs pay on a £/track mile basis.

Presumably there's a tariff for different classes.
I'd be pretty upset if my company was being charged the same for running a 3 car EMU as Virgin are for a pendo.

Status
Not open for further replies.