• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Proportionately worst examples of padding

Status
Not open for further replies.

calc7

Established Member
Is this the worst proportionate example of timetable padding - in terms of A->B journey time versus B->A?
Bidston - Upton Merseyside 1 minute
Upton Merseyside - Bidston 10 minutes

I know why this happens - indeed at the Wrexham Central end you have the ludicrous situation of a train "departing" a single-track terminus station before it's arrived; but can anybody beat this 10x multiple?

Rules: looking for a examples in the "everyday" peak or off-peak timetable, not at odd ends of the night or early morning

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I can't beat it but offer another pretty 'good' one.

Hull - Cottingham 6 minutes
Cottingham - Hull 12 minutes

transmanche

Established Member
I can't beat it either, my offer is:

Manchester Piccadilly > Manchester Oxford Rd 2 mins
Manchester Oxford Rd > Manchester Piccadilly 8 mins

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Newbury Racecourse - Newbury is 6 minutes. Newbury - Newbury Racecourse is 2 minutes.

I think 4-5 minutes padding is fairly common at the end of a service, though I believe nothing beats the OP's example of 10 times the difference. To do that on a non-padded 2 minute journey, 18 minutes of padding is required, which I don't think happens.

0700 Kings Cross - Edinburgh - has 45 mins to Peterborough
0655 Edinburgh - Kings Cross - has 58 mins from Peterborough

Both run non-stop Kings Cross - Peterborough

Established Member
I think EC are the worse offenders for London Terminal differential although everybody does it in one shape or form.

The Planner

Veteran Member
I know why this happens - indeed at the Wrexham Central end you have the ludicrous situation of a train "departing" a single-track terminus station before it's arrived; but can anybody beat this 10x multiple?

I'm not sure that is allowed, but I am not commenting on the padding as I have given up on that, unless it is stuck in the WTT schedule it isn't padded...

Crossover

Established Member
One I can recall from the other year is the Chiltern service into Birmingham Moor Street/Snow Hill.

From Snow Hill to Moor Street it is timed 2 mins
From Moor Street to Snow Hill it is timed 11 mins

I guess this means the service can run fairly late into Moor St but still arrive on time at its destination!

Also, as for padding, I was on a GC service a couple of weeks ago that was 5 minutes late leaving Mirfield. A 10 minute journey later, we were sat outside Wakefield Kirkgate awaiting the departure of the Knottingley train as we were 8 minutes early! (We lost the advantage and arrived at Doncaster late)

transmanche

Established Member
I'm not sure that is allowed, but I am not commenting on the padding as I have given up on that, unless it is stuck in the WTT schedule it isn't padded...
But from the passenger's point of view (especially for making connections) it is padded - and whatever the WTT says is irrelevant.

philjo

Established Member
The East Coast services now have 30 mins Stevenage to KX southbound but they only take 19 minutes northbound.
The FCC services are scheduled to take less time southbound than the EC ones in the public timetable.

I was on a train from Lancaster-Leeds which had about 15 minutes of padding added between Shipley & Leeds.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Some services between Newport and Cardiff are allocated 20-25 minutes, especially services from Holyhead and Taunton, but others are allocated the normal 13-15. All services from Cardiff to Newport are 13 minutes. Look at the timings for the 1515 Taunton to Cardiff compared to the 1515 London to Cardiff.

Tilly

southport to meols cop and return is a good example -
SOP-MEC - 5 mins
MEC-SOP - 11 or 12 minutes

I realised this when I was on a late running Manchester Victoria double pacer a couple of Mondays ago we were over 20 down due to a delay in changing driver at Wigan, but were 4 late when arriving at Southport! Made me look again at the timetable.

In the morning I get the 7.54 to Salford Crescent, the first time I caught it, I assumed the train would have been the 7.20 arrival from Manchester. However the 7.54 departure is comprised of the train that has just worked the 7.58 arrival! Somehow by the time it arrives back at Meols Cop it is running on time!

Tilly

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
9I32 Ebbsfleet Int - Calais Frethun takes 1h44

9I61 Calais Frethun - Ebbsfleet Int takes minus 16min

Do I win £5 ?

Welshman

Established Member
Another from ATWland:-

The 1.75 miles from Deganwy to Llandudno are scheduled 12 minutes for trains from Manchester, and 6-11 minutes for trains from the Junction or Blaenau Ffestiniog. In the opposite direction, departing trains from Llandudno are allowed 4 minutes.

This creates the interesting situation where the last train of the day from the Blaenau branch, due at Llandudno at 2146, forms the 2145 departure for Crewe, without the necessity for the crew to change ends faster than the speed of light. :)

MCR247

Established Member
Couldn't some of these just be due to pathing etc especially when we are talking about arriving at major terminals with not a lot of spare capacity?

LE Greys

Established Member
The East Coast services now have 30 mins Stevenage to KX southbound but they only take 19 minutes northbound.
The FCC services are scheduled to take less time southbound than the EC ones in the public timetable.

They often use it, though. However, I expect to see it halved when the Hitchin flyover is finished, that's generally the worst cause of delays in the area. Still, on at least 50% of journeys, I've arrived at the WTT-booked times and (after a 'pleased to inform you we are early' announcement) sometimes made what is technically a 'minus' connection at Paddington.

Fred26

The 0021 East Coast service from Stevenage to Kings Cross is given 36 minutes to make the journey. It's set-down only at Stevenage and at that time of night it should take less than half that time to get to London.

transmanche

Established Member
Rules: looking for a examples in the "everyday" peak or off-peak timetable, not at odd ends of the night or early morning

The 0021 East Coast service from Stevenage to Kings Cross is given 36 minutes to make the journey. It's set-down only at Stevenage and at that time of night it should take less than half that time to get to London.
Bzzzzz... not allowed by the small print! :D

LE Greys

Established Member

Bzzzzz... not allowed by the small print! :D

Besides, that's to allow for Hertford diversions. It often seems to use the loop.

dstrat

Perhaps not strictly what you are talking about but I remember when there was engineering on the ECML a while back and EC was only running from Huntingdon north. Got on an FCC fast service to Peterborough.

Train ran its little wheels out on the fast lines all the way to Huntingdon...the amount of time we dwelled in station stops awaiting our actual departure time was mind numbing. In total by Huntingdon we had easily waited for 20 mins in stations waiting for the departure time. PADDING!

LE Greys

Established Member
Perhaps not strictly what you are talking about but I remember when there was engineering on the ECML a while back and EC was only running from Huntingdon north. Got on an FCC fast service to Peterborough.

Train ran its little wheels out on the fast lines all the way to Huntingdon...the amount of time we dwelled in station stops awaiting our actual departure time was mind numbing. In total by Huntingdon we had easily waited for 20 mins in stations waiting for the departure time. PADDING!

Top speed on the slows is only 80 mph, IIRC. It could probably be raised to 100, but I expect that would require considerable work. Running at maximum permissable speed on the fasts does tend to have that effect.

Howardh

Established Member
9I32 Ebbsfleet Int - Calais Frethun takes 1h44

9I61 Calais Frethun - Ebbsfleet Int takes minus 16min

Do I win £5 ?

That reminds me of the time I flew from (the wonderful Antwerpen "Airport") to London City. On take-off the pilot welcomed us on board and said "we will be arriving in London 15 minutes ago".

Status
Not open for further replies.