• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Proposal to improve East-West connections

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jordeh

This is the culmination of a few ideas I've read on here over the years, I've done my best to formulate a fairly realistic proposal and would to like hear your thoughts on it.

- Extend the Cardiff to Nottingham service through to Lincoln and scrap the existing Leicester to Lincoln service
- Operated by XC, bypass Derby using the Castle Donington freight line for time savings (keep the Birmingham to Nottingham service operating via Derby however).

- Extend the Crewe to Derby service to Nottingham
- Operated by EM, using the newly created path between Derby & Nottingham (most likely non-stop).

- Extend the Skegness to Nottingham service to Leicester
- Operated by EM, serving all stations on the newly created path between Nottingham & Leicester.

+ Advantages
Skegness/Grantham gains direct service to Leicester
Crewe gains direct service to Nottingham
Lincoln gains direct service to Birmingham and Cardiff
Faster trains between Nottingham and the Southwest
Much improved East-West connections

- Disadvantages
Lincoln loses direct service to Leicester
Derby loses 1tph to Burton/Birmingham/Cardiff
Liable to delays

Rolling stock is of course the weak link, here's a mere guess of what might need to be done to ensure compatibility with existing fleets.
- Cascade about 4x Class 170s from London Midland to CrossCountry.
- Cascade about 7x Class 153s from East Midlands Trains to London Midland

In hindsight I would have probably ordered more Class 172s for London Midland and I am not too sure how the changed services would fit into existing depot and crew arrangements. Thoughts?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
Why not have XC through Leicester, personally I think Derby is worth the time. I would run Crewe to Skegness EMT with the Lincoln to Leicester service which should go from Cleethorpes to Aberysthwyth like it used too.

Status
Not open for further replies.